Example of Foles missing an easy TD and why we need Quick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Been saying it for weeks now. Foles is not seeing the field well at all. He's displayed good vision in the past, no idea what his problem is. It's all too clear he's gotten worse as the season has gone on. How he stays so positive in the pressers is pretty amazing.

But seeing guys getting open and Foles not seeing them is incouraging in a way. It says Foles isn't in sync with his players and it may happen in time. But dang, you'd think 9 games would be be enough. It's so frustrating!

Now our team is backed into a corner and the chill of December woes is starting to move in. Not a good spot to be in.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
why did 3 of 5 routes come out short of the sticks? And it sure looks like the other two were there just to clear out defenders.
WCO (west coast offense) allow for receivers, and expect receivers to run after the catch....if the ball is delivered in the right spot, at the right time.....

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Been saying it for weeks now. Foles is not seeing the field well at all. He's displayed good vision in the past, no idea what his problem is. It's all too clear he's gotten worse as the season has gone on. How he stays so positive in the pressers is pretty amazing.

I'm still baffled by the fact that Gurley is not in the backfield on that play. Early in the game, tied up 7 to 7. Redzone. Why in the F is there no play action threat from the backfield to affect the drop of the LBs and freeze the safeties? Why does Cigs think it's better to have another WR from our weak @$$ WR corps out there instead of Gurley or even Mason?

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
I'm still baffled by the fact that Gurley is not in the backfield on that play. Early in the game, tied up 7 to 7. Redzone. Why in the F is there no play action threat from the backfield to affect the drop of the LBs and freeze the safeties? Why does Cigs think it's better to have another WR from our weak @$$ WR corps out there instead of Gurley or even Mason?

No idea. He's the perfect decoy on a fake. Nobody has respected Mason all year. I'd honestly rather see Brown in there than Mason at this point. He runs harder.

Mason looks like he lost some weight or something. He use to be a nice combination of thump and scat. Now he's much more of a scat back. And he hasn't gotten comfortable, either.

The pshyce of this team right know is shakier than jello. It's like they need mentors to show them the way and they clearly don't have them.

We need one guy like Larry Fitz on offense. Maybe Welker can be that guy.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
I just watched Nick Foles press conference and he said, "We're going to continue to grow, continue to watch film, and we'll get better..."

Whew! And to think I was worried about our offense going forward. He put my worries to rest.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Easy 6? I don't really think so, but definitely a first down.
Easy might be extreme but you know what I mean blue. Maybe the call was Welker and Welker only. But it was just an example of plays we are leaving all over the field.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Easy might be extreme but you know what I mean blue. Maybe the call was Welker and Welker only. But it was just an example of plays we are leaving all over the field.

I agree, I haven't been that big on Foles or the offense in general for a while now.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
And this ladies and gentlemen is why Fisher said "Foles needs a break." But the "break" is to allow full recovery time after pulling his head from his a$$! Good Lord.

maximus

Rookie
And this ladies and gentlemen is why Fisher said "Foles needs a break." But the "break" is to allow full recovery time after pulling his head from his a$$! Good Lord.

You can dog Foles for other plays all you want, but not for this one. This one was a timing route. If Foles goes away from Welker and the other guys are not open, by the time he comes back to Welker, the defender is in great position to jump the route for a pick 6.

It did not matter where Foles put the ball, the defender was right there to tackle Welker as soon as he caught it. It was a great play from the defender, they get paid too. Welker stopped the route short 1 yard from the sticks, and that doomed the play. He was stopped 1 yard from the sticks, exactly where he stopped his route. Still shaking out the rust, the Welker of old would know with his eyes closed where the sticks are.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
You can dog Foles for other plays all you want, but not for this one. This one was a timing route. If Foles goes away from Welker and the other guys are not open, by the time he comes back to Welker, the defender is in great position to jump the route for a pick 6.

It did not matter where Foles put the ball, the defender was right there to tackle Welker as soon as he caught it. It was a great play from the defender, they get paid too. Welker stopped the route short 1 yard from the sticks, and that doomed the play. He was stopped 1 yard from the sticks, exactly where he stopped his route. Still shaking out the rust, the Welker of old would know with his eyes closed where the sticks are.

I'm not dogging at him at all, I quoted what Fisher said in his presser about Foles.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

You do realize though that when a QB stares down the receiver from the time its hiked to the time he throws it a 6 yard pass is destined to fail. Especially when its an out to the sideline. Had Welker run the full 8 yards it it probably would have been an even easier play for the defender. He's giving him 6 yards all day if you need 8.
You don't see Aaron Rogers just stare at one.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Initially, I thought the same but it's incorrect. Slow it down and watch it again. Welker gets to the sticks and Foles's throw brings him back behind the sticks. The route was run correctly.

It's 3rd down. I'm not going to respect a play-action on 3rd down and longish. Plus, a play-action forces you to run longer developing routes.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It's 3rd down. I'm not going to respect a play-action on 3rd down and longish. Plus, a play-action forces you to run longer developing routes.

Well that's the rub my friend... If as a DC you don't respect the run even on third and long in the redzone there's a reasonable chance a RB like Gurley gets 6. Teams would have every reason to suspect Gurley gets the ball there, as bad as Foles has been the past several weeks and as good as Gurley is.

I just cannot fathom him not being on that field.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
Initially, I thought the same but it's incorrect. Slow it down and watch it again. Welker gets to the sticks and Foles's throw brings him back behind the sticks. The route was run correctly.

I think more than anything the throw is way late. Welker has the DB beat at his break and that is when Foles needed to throw it to get a first down there.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
Quick could of had 100 yards and a couple TDs :ROFLMAO:

Foles missed him all day

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
EDIT: Looking at the play again, I have to change my opinion. It was the throw. Welker was trying to roll up-field, after coming out of the break, to the sticks but Foles's throw led him back towards the LOS rather than up-field.
And it was also a timing play that Foles was way late on forcing him to lead the receiver. Welker has no choice but to take the best angle to keep the DB from interrupting or intercepting the pass and that brings him back short.

That's a pre-snap read with a quick throw.
Minus the quick throw. You will see QBs leave open receivers on the field all day long. The difference is that when the throw needs to come out quick, the good ones get the throw out quick and decisively. That is not a play to be pondered or have the QB scan the field. The receiver hits his spot and when he turns, the ball is there. That was a well designed play and a well run route. A late throw gave up at least two yards.

WCO (west coast offense) allow for receivers, and expect receivers to run after the catch....if the ball is delivered in the right spot, at the right time.....
And there you go. This is why I think Keenum will do pretty well. That didn't take huge NFL talent. Just running the play decisively and on time.

This one was a timing route.
Bingo.

This^^^

And the throw was late forcing Foles to also lead Welker to the wrong spot. Welker could have slanted toward the first down but the defender would have likely broken up the pass. Hell - I'm not Welker fan but that is a short pass that needs to hit the receiver on time.

I think more than anything the throw is way late. Welker has the DB beat at his break and that is when Foles needed to throw it to get a first down there.
DING DING DING DING!!!!

maximus

Rookie

I firmly disagree with that, at all times Welker is short of the sticks.

As for those saying that Foles was late, Welker could have turned right or left, he did not know which way until Welker made the cut, then Foles immediately threw it to him.

Even if you are right, It is the very first catch by Welker, it was bound to be some problem with being on the same page. It takes time to get the timing right, it takes time for the QB to get used to the speed of the receiver. That dogged Foles in the first half, when he had trouble getting on the same page with Welker. He missed 2 times in the first half on crossing routes when Welker was open, and that really made Foles look bad. It really added fuel to the whole Foles had to be yanked narrative He hit Welker perfect in stride in the second half on a crossing route over the middle. So he was getting better, getting a better feel for Welker's speed in games.

Foles also missed Quick on a crossing route in the first drive, but again Quick was not there in the training camp, he was not there in the first games, he was given few snaps in the first games back, and very few crossing routes with Quick were called for Foles to get the timing right, being on the same page. That miss was in the first half first drive. In the second half, Foles did hit Quick with a strike right down the middle, which Quick took it for a big gain. So Foles was getting better at connecting with Quick over the middle.

I feel that Foles getting the timing right with Welker and Quick over the middle would had really elevated the offense. One of the reasons I still support Foles. Rather than agreeing with those who say Foles was yanked too late, I definitely feel Foles was yanked too soon. I definitely saw that Foles was getting better at being on the same page with Quick and Welker over the middle, getting the timing right, getting their speed right.

People needed a scapegoat, so Foles was blamed for all the ills of the team. Right. Keenum is not the answer, there is a reason he went 0-8 with the Texans. Foles does have a higher ceiling, he proved in 2013, he proved again this season with 2 great games against the main rivals in the division, against 2 of the top 3 defenses in the league, SuperBowl contending defenses. He definitely has that in him. He was yanked before he could get the connection right with Welker and Quick over the middle, which would had really elevated the offense. Young QBs do have slumps, just this year Luck had many down games, Wilson had many down games, and they are regarded as franchise QBs.

Foles was yanked after a game in which the D crapped the bed, the run game was non-existent outside the first drive, many holding calls which put the offense in very bad situations, 3 drops on 3rd downs, 1 of them in the redzone, an opponent with a good pass defense which could focus on defending the pass all game long, the first game with Welker which was bound to lead to some problems between him and Foles being on the same page.