Examining Barksdale's Future At Right Tackle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why are people down on Barksdale? He beat out Saffold for the RT spot, and everyone seems to love him.
I don't think anyone IS down on Barksdale.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Why are people down on Barksdale? He beat out Saffold for the RT spot, and everyone seems to love him.

Well, he didn't "beat" him out. Saffold was injured so he took the spot over. But I do think it was a blessing as Saffold really played well at guard.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

The Rams have serious needs for a healthy OT we have one named Joe Barksdale for one more season. I'm certainly not down on Barksdale. He brings a serious element to the Ram OL cadre, Barks is able to remain on the field & not injury prone. Barksdale was the third swing OT when the season began. Saffold who starts the first two 2013 seasons games beat out Barksdale for the ORT post, then as usual goes down in the second regular season game due to injury. Barksdale is inserted into the ORT post due to injury to Saffold. Saffold was able to return to play in week 7. Boudreau started Saffold & rotated Barksdale & Saffold @ ORT with Saffold getting more snaps over Barksdale. The injury to ORG Harvey Dahl & Shelley Smith comes into play heavy in this matter.

On 10-28 ORG Harvey Dahl went down late 3rd quarter Shelley Smith came in (I think we have all seen enough of Smith now to not want to see him starting again). Smith started @ ORG the next week but Boudreau was not happy with Smith's play & wanted to upgrade that ORG post & Saffold filled the need BIG Time. Rodger Saffold was the best Ram performing OL'er by a far Margine.

IMO Barksdale did not outplay Saffold.... Saffold outplayed everyone & Barksdale was the only OT candidate on the Ram roster. So were not in agreement on your Barksdale beat out Saffold quote.

fearsomefour

Legend
....more like Saffold beat out Dahl when he was injured. The move to G was caused by injury, just as Barksdales' move to the starting RT spot. Barksdale is a starting quality RT with room to get better in my book. Extend him now or lose him after next year.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
....more like Saffold beat out Dahl when he was injured. The move to G was caused by injury, just as Barksdales' move to the starting RT spot. Barksdale is a starting quality RT with room to get better in my book. Extend him now or lose him after next year.

I of the opinion that Barksdale is a type of player who gets much better the more he plays in critical conditions. Boudreau saw that keeping JB on the field would greatly benefit the Rams in 2014 whereas keeping Saffold in that position did nothing. That's a great decision in my book. Barksdale will enter TC in July as the Rams best competing OT. That title & situation came from JB's starts in 2013. Thats a win ! Like I said in the top of this post get him in a new contract as soon as possible.

The play of Harvey Dahl before his injury & being IR back in 2012 was good...Harvey's play since that time has been in steady decline...The top reserve ORG Shelley Smith is not a good right side performer he is much better playing OLG. having said that.... Smith was a better playing ORG than Harvey Dahl...Smith got the starting call over a healthy Harvey Dahl when Saffold moved back to OLT in the Ram second to last game. That should tell you the position that Harvey Dahl is in @ this stage of his NFL career. Not a good situation for the Rams to be in @ OG presently anyway back to the first time move of Saffold to OG...Rams had to make that move. Saffold's move was so logical IMO.

Side bar here .....reserve OG Brandon Washington is a much better left side OG than right. In addition to that.... reserve OG Mike Persons is in the same category as Washington better playing the left side.

If the Rams are able to get JB an outstanding playing right OG next to him we will be just fine on the right side.

Last edited by a moderator:

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
he didnt beat saffold out saffold got hurt

Then why didn't Saffold start at RT once he was healthy? There was a game or two there where they were splitting time at RT, but eventually they moved Saffold to RG, and kept Barksdale at RT. They could have easily moved Barksdale inside and kept Saffold at RT, but they didn't.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
IMO this is a very well coached group of talented vets and journeyman JAG'S.
Not a bad thing. I like Barksdale out there. The health of Long and the gamble of re-signing a fragile Saffold is my only concern.

I would like to see some more draft investment here.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Then why didn't Saffold start at RT once he was healthy? There was a game or two there where they were splitting time at RT, but eventually they moved Saffold to RG, and kept Barksdale at RT. They could have easily moved Barksdale inside and kept Saffold at RT, but they didn't.

I don't know about that. Barksdale doesn't have the strength Saffold has to play inside. And Saffold stayed because Dahl was out.
Don't get me wrong, Barksdale played very well but I don't think he's better than Saffold. But it's obviously a great problem to have. Although if we don't resign Saffold, it won't matter.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
If the Rams are able to get JB an outstanding playing right OG next to him we will be just fine on the right side.
Pity that we didn't draft Larry Warford last year. We were reportedly going to take him if Ogletree wasn't available; Warford should have been the pick anyway.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Pity that we didn't draft Larry Warford last year. We were reportedly going to take him if Ogletree wasn't available; Warford should have been the pick anyway.
Would loved to have landed Warford, but not at the expense of missing out on 'Tree.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Yes big big pity that the Rams did not draft more OL'ers period. I did like Larry but the OLB 'er Tree was an excellent pick too. But I just see the need for talented healthy skilled OL'er if Sam Bradford is your QB. It's taken three NFL seasons to get a 2011 3rd rd selection up to decent playing level. How many yrs to get a 2013 4th rd selection of Barrett Jones up to par so he can hold his own?

It's a matter of fact that most fans consider OL'er as a lower cast. Rams fans witnessed what the Rams OL was able to do with just two outstanding playing OL'ers OT Jake Long & OG Roger Saffold along with a decent ORT Barks and Two Wavier Wire Contingents Chris Williams & Tim Barnes.

We also got to experience in the final game when Fisher had to replace those two outstanding Ram Ol'ers. That late season Fisher OL had four WWC's along with Barksdale. That OL was a disaster Zac Stacy ran for 15 yrs that day. Rams current signed OL is filled with Wavier Wire Contingents . In fact the Rams stand a very strong chance of being without both of the best Ram OL'ers when this next season begins. Thus leaving the Rams with a considerably weaker OL.

Below is the current Ram 2014 OL who are under contract. When you go through each of the Ram OL'er this is what you have: One is in a rehabbing event for a broken lower leg, one is pending ACL surgery & then MCL & ACL rehabbing event that will be ongoing up to the beginning of the regular season or more. Two are very high probable Cap casualties. Three have never played in a NFL game. Three are UFA's in 2015. Two have been injured five times & placed on the IR three times the last two seasons.

ORT-Barksdale
ORG-Dahl/Persons
OC-Wells/Jones
OLG-Washington
OLT-Long/Hooey

Once you review the above OL is there any ROD'mer that would like to counter punch to my argument that the Rams have grave need of highly talented skilled OL'ers that will come @ a bargain price (Through the draft not thru UFA) ? Truth is there is a payday for teams who refuse to invest through the draft in OL'ers who have have pocket passers.... it's the award & winning the opportunity to select high in the NFL draft.

Last edited by a moderator: