Examining Barksdale's Future At Right Tackle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Nick Wagoner
http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/4912/examining-barksdales-future-at-right-tackle

ST. LOUIS -- Of the many questions awaiting the St. Louis Rams along their offensive line heading into the offseason, one player they know will be back in the mix is offensive tackle Joe Barksdale. What remains to be seen is how the team views his role long term.

Barksdale was an important cog to the offensive line in 2013, initially stepping in for injured starter Rodger Saffold at right tackle in Week 2 against Atlanta. From there, he made the most of his opportunity, playing well enough in Saffold's absence to mostly keep the job even after Saffold returned to the mix.

Claimed on waivers from Oakland in 2012 on the recommendation of special teams coach John Fassel, who had worked with Barksdale with the Raiders, Barksdale has been yet another in an increasingly large group of line coach Paul Boudreau specials.

With Saffold set to become an unrestricted free agent and Barksdale playing well and under contract, it made plenty of sense for the Rams to take a long look at Barksdale to determine his long-term viability. Barksdale started 13 games, and though he split time with Saffold in a few before Saffold moved to guard, he was clearly the team's primary right tackle in playing 794 offensive snaps on the season.

Was that enough to ensure Barksdale a starting job moving into 2014?

"I don’t know," Barksdale said. "That’s all speculation. All I know is I’ll come back with the same work ethic I’ve had the last three years, done the best I can every day and try to become the best player I can to help the team out."

The 6-foot-5, 326-pound Barksdale seemed to fit the mold of what the Rams are looking for at tackle. Although he's not the most athletic or strongest tackle you'll find, Barksdale competed well and was mostly a net positive in 2013. For what it's worth, Pro Football Focus gave Barksdale an overall grade of 12.2 for the season, with an 11.9 in pass protection. Barksdale earned a negative grade just three times.

Considering that Saffold and guard Shelley Smith are headed for unrestricted free agency, left tackle Jake Long has a long road back from a torn ACL and MCL, and center Scott Wells and guard Harvey Dahl are potential cap casualties, the presence of Barksdale is made even more important.

It's entirely possible the Rams could be facing up to 80 percent turnover on the line for opening day 2014. Teams often talk about the importance of continuity, especially on the offensive line which also plays in Barksdale's favor.

On the other side of the coin, the Rams are armed with a pair of first-round draft picks at Nos. 2 and 13 and would be well served to draft a top tackle. Whether it's Texas A&M's Jake Matthews, Auburn's Greg Robinson or some other top tackle, a player capable of stepping in and playing right away and eventually being Long's replacement at left tackle would make sense with an early pick.

Of the many possibilities and permutations the Rams' offensive line could take on in 2014, at least they know that Barksdale fits into the picture whether he's a starter or not.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
As far as I can see, Barksdale is the only unanswered question we have in regard to the OL for next season. He did a damn good job last season. We need to make sure we tie him down to a new contract when the time comes.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
As far as I can see, Barksdale is the only unanswered question we have in regard to the OL for next season. He did a damn good job last season. We need to make sure we tie him down to a new contract when the time comes.
You mean "only answered question" right?

PhxRam

I love the guy but I just dont think he is the long term answer.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Easier said than done.
Agreed, he has now established himself as a starting quality NFL OT. "Cheap" has become a relative term.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Dude has cemented the job in my eyes.

Simba

Rookie
I think he is the right answer ... for the back up place.We need a really good back up player in that position, and he is it.Our starter must be the best we can find in that role.

fearsomefour

Legend
I would try to resign him now….he is making minimum by NFL starter standards. He might be willing to do a short deal 2 or 3 years with guarenteed money now as opposed to risking injury playing for "low" money. I always liked Barksdale and I think, as he is just 25, his game can still improve. His improvement since arriving in St. Louis has been significant. People love to bag on this line and in some ways that is justified. It is not a line that is going to give the QB 5 seconds to survey the field. Some athletic limitations (Barksdale, Dahl, Wells) play into this as well as some other things, but, Stacy didnt go out and get those yards himself. Zac was very impressive in a couple of areas, being a patient runner and finding holes and yards after contact. But, the Oline played much better as the year progressed in the run game. If the Rams go on the cheap this year we could be looking at a week 1 Oline of Barksdale/Smith/Barnes/Jones/rookie. Barnes and Smith have proven their worth as spot starters and I would like to see them retained. As much as I like him I dont see Barksdale at LT without help. Jones? who knows? The Rams have invested in the line in recent years. Jacob Bell, Jason Brown ect. those FA signings usually did not work out. The drafting of Jason Smith really set the O line back. So, the team still has to go about it the right way. The Oline issues this offseason could set the team back, yet again. Right as the D is ready to take off (hopefully) and some pieces of the O are starting to come together. If Saffold goes and Dahl and Wells are both cut along with Williams leaving and if Smith is not retained that is a boatload of talent/plays to replace. A bad start on the line, because of youth, lack of talent or misspent FA money could doom the Rams to another up and down, mediocre season. So, I would try to sign Barksdale now both because I think he has talent and his best days are ahead of him and also as a hedge against a total rebuilding of the line.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
He stays healthy and on the field. That's more than we can say about any of the other OL starters. You can win a SB with a Barksdale at RT. RT is a non-issue, let's not make it one.

The other 4 spots are question marks of varying degrees. Have fun figuring them out.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would try to resign him now….he is making minimum by NFL starter standards.

Yes I agree go ahead & get this done now..I am not a drum beater for Barksdale maybe the only ROD'mer but he has much to bring ...he has stayed healthy since he arrived in the NFL in the 3rd round in 2011. Staying Uninjured is something special for all the Rams OL. Rams have had numerous major injuries (8) at OLT (3), OLG (1) OC (2) ORG (2) ORT (zero) since Fisher arrived.

Rams have issues @ four other starting posts better get at least one of the five nailed down.

I would like the Rams to look @ Jared Veldheer who is a UFA off the Raiders who is a good swing OT in March.

Last edited by a moderator:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think it's only the tip of the iceberg for Barksdale.

More experience... And more work in the weight room...

He's approaching good now... But he can get better. For this reason I'm loving Barksdale.

Hit those weights hard! He's got the size. Strength will take him to a new level.

fearsomefour

Legend
I agree that Barksdales' best ball is ahead of him in my opinion. He is still growing into his potential. As for Veldheer the Rams would only have a shot at him if Oakland doesnt want him as they have massive funds this offseason. He may come available if they upgrade their line through FA, including grabbing Saffold.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I think it's only the tip of the iceberg for Barksdale.

More experience... And more work in the weight room...

He's approaching good now... But he can get better. For this reason I'm loving Barksdale.

Hit those weights hard! He's got the size. Strength will take him to a new level.

That'd be the biggest key, imo. He stepped up big when the time came, but as the season started to wind down his play began to decrease.

If he hits it real hard in the offseason, then it could make things interesting. I just don't know if he could play at a high sustained level for 16+ games.

A55VA6

Legend
I wouldn't be worried if he's the starting RT this season. I think he's done a good job. Not sure about long term.. but he definitely has a place on the team.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
I'd certainly look to keep him as our starting right tackle this year. If he maintains his progression, we can tie him down to a long-term deal before he hits free agency in 2015; if he regresses, we let him walk.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Question ......name me the last good ORT the Rams have put on the field? 2003 Kyle Turley.

Thanks Boudreau for your good work on the ex Raider release/wavier wire Joe Barksdale who's 2013 performance was as good as Turley's IMO.

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
Why are people down on Barksdale? He beat out Saffold for the RT spot, and everyone seems to love him.