Eric Weddle Destroys Purdy and the Ratbags...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Not gonna lie... I do respect Purdy's game. He's got some serious mental toughness going on. But the dude's limitations are real.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
He should improve at reading NFL defences as he gets more experience, which will help any QB's game overall. And he is actually quite dangerous with his legs - he's hard to sack, with good escapability, and when he does run, he picks his spots well and can go for big gains. He's got good football speed too, even if his combine speed is nothing special. I am not sure why he gets dumped on.
For me, it's the overall arm talent. If you can stop the short stuff, you take him out of his game.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Not gonna lie... I do respect Purdy's game. He's got some serious mental toughness going on. But the dude's limitations are real.

If he had that mental toughness in overtime, third down in the redzone and threw it to a wide-open Aiyuk with Chris Jones bearing down on him...no, he doesn't. I don't respect Purdy's game because every bit of him is limited and helped by San Fran's scheme. If they re-sign him to an expensive long-term deal, they will regret it.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
To me Purdy seems to be a lot like Garoppolo. Plays well within the constraints of the system. He can't make all the throws team like to have in their quarterback. But the ones he can make he does well. He knows how to get the ball to their playmakers and let them turn it into bigger plays. A classic game manager. The one big difference between him and Garoppolo is the money. They are able to pay the stars big money until he becomes eligible for an extension.

Today most fans think Purdy is their franchise quarterback. But I have a feeling he'll go the route Garoppolo went when those all pro playmakers start to decline and they aren't turning short passes into big plays. Could happen as early as next season.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Purdy is a good QB. He’s not a great QB. Had he been drafted by…say…Arizona…he’d still be irrelevant.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’d be able to provide a true analysis of him if he played on a different team.
For now? Fuck him and that whole fucking team.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Purdy is NOT a rookie. He was in the playoffs last year too and his elbow exploded.

Can you even imagine what would have occurred had the whiners actually got the trade for Stafford completed instead of us?

IMO, the whiners should trade him to a QB needy team like the Falcons and try whatever they can to get Cousins to sign with them. That said, fuck those guys and I wish nothing but bad things for them.
I don't know if they can defer enough contracts to free up the cap space to sign Cousins. I imagine he won't come cheap. If they can it would truly be the proverbial mortgaging the future.

There are plenty of QB needy teams who have the money. Washington, Tenn, Bears, Colts, Raiders all have the money to sign him. If the Bears signed Cousins imagine what talent they could bring in with the extra picks. Especially if they trade back out of number one.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Purdy is a good QB. He’s not a great QB. Had he been drafted by…say…Arizona…he’d still be irrelevant.
I can think of a number of teams he'd be just another late round pick who isn't expected to be more than a 2nd or 3rd string guy. He just landed in the right spot for him and his skill set was a good fit. Everything came together for both him and the team.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'll be laughing my ass off when they start treating him like Garoppolo in a year or two. Jimmy GQ went for sure fire first ballot Hall of Fame savior to fans saying they don't care who they get they just wanted him gone. They were very similar when Jimmy GQ was winning. And Purdy has a lot more talent around him. The only difference was Purdy stayed healthier aside from the one injury.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Did you see Garapalo play on the Raiders? Yeah, something like that. :D

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Way too early to make many conclusions about Purdy.

It will be interesting to see how teams play him next season after film has been watched. I imagine they will begin to realize that you only have to guard in between the numbers within 20 yards of the LOS. :D

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I wonder if McVay has tried to talk Weddle into joining his staff. Maybe even as a camp consultant. Even out of retirement he came in and lead the secondary in a playoff run.
Weddle is loving the family life and coaching HS football. Dude is too chill to grind it out on an NFL staff.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
It will be interesting to see how teams play him next season after film has been watched. I imagine they will begin to realize that you only have to guard in between the numbers within 20 yards of the LOS. :D
The Chiefs mighta exposed something. At least with Deebo. Because he's not a very good route runner they played man on him and didn't have to use their best cover guy. 11 targets with 3 receptions. Don't be surprised if he sees more of that next year. Most his catches are near the line of scrimmage. Limit the yards after catch and he becomes a high priced below average receiver.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Chiefs mighta exposed something. At least with Deebo. Because he's not a very good route runner they played man on him and didn't have to use their best cover guy. 11 targets with 3 receptions. Don't be surprised if he sees more of that next year. Most his catches are near the line of scrimmage. Limit the yards after catch and he becomes a high priced below average receiver.
The Rams just saw the template for beating the Niners. KC started out playing mostly zone and it did not work. They switched to more man coverage and it was very successful. So, hopefully they can find corners that can play both man and zone effectively. Kendrick was not good at man press coverage. He's too one dimensional.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Purdy looks like a very good back up QB who can hang on a roster for years and not lose you games. He's like Colt McCoy or Chase Daniels level.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
For me, it's the overall arm talent. If you can stop the short stuff, you take him out of his game.
The Browns did exactly that to the Niners. They took away the short middle of the field passes.

The Browns have a very good defense and some real speed at LBer too. Plus the DPoY at edge.
The Rams still need to upgrade to be able to execute to that degree.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Weddle talking about taking the ball in OT .... it was the 49ers analytics. They wanted the 3rd possession ---

maybe a smart part on defense may have been tired.

That said ... kicking off was what most other analytic models suggested.

Either way . . .. Purdy is not elite, will never be elite ... but he's not a bum, either. He has limitations and things you cannot get better at---like he will never have huge arm

And also, he hits on good point ---- Shanny ran the ball 0 times in like 9 plays coming out of 1st half ... and also Weddle mentioned wrong answers for man coverage ... outs, not slants is what you want.

That is what I'd like to know ... maybe Purdy cannot throw outs well enough. Maybe that's the "system" part of his game.
Purdy can do what he does well but they are probably hiding his average arm by the system.
Wrong or right, Shanny had a justification for their choices. Can't really ask for much more.

Not every plan works out but you certainly get nowhere without one.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
He's a white, athletic version of Ceelo Green with those short arms and tiny hands.

I just can't non-see it anymore when I look at him.

T Rex Hello GIF

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
He ain't all dat purty is the bottom line.

So let's make him purty-er by making him squeal like a pig.

70S Banjo GIF