Eric Dickerson on the Rich Eisen Show (Firing Fisher, Trading for Faulk, and possibly becoming a GM)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If you insist. I suppose by definition you are right. Les is a professional. But I'm trying to see where I said ED couldn't do better. I don't see him doing better but I'm pretty sure I also said they shouldn't listen to me so... But that's cool. Ignore what I'm really saying while still not offering how and why you think he could actually do the job.
How and why....hmm...
I see being a general manager's job as assembling talented scouts in various regions of the country. And the ability to recognize talent. Special talent, that will translate to the pro level. I see former players as excellent candidates. In either capacity. No one believed Elway could be a great GM/President, when in fact he appears to be one of the best now. They said the same about Dan Marino in Miami....Not sure what he does down there but the results haven't panned out. The only question in my mind is, will ED put in the work. Just by listening to him, he seems passionate about the RAMS...Lives in LA and actually wants the job. Sounds like a match to me. As I have said previously, I don't believe evaluating college talent is necessarily hard....if you know what you're looking for.

So if someone comes in and starts winning with this team, you are saying Fisher was a brilliant coach? I'm not sure even Singletary would say he was great HC for SF. Maybe he would be on his second go 'round but jury is still out on that - no?
Not brilliant coach...but definitely able to evaluate talent. See, I don't think Fisher is a bad coach, he is a bad Head Coach. He's to a fault loyal to his friends, and has hired MULTIPLE personnel that are NOT qualified due to relationships. Namely, Coach Boudreau, Coach Cignetti, Coach Boras...I'd include the wr coach from last year...probably the rb coach this year...as a few off the top of my head. He's surrounded himself with yes men...and it's obviously effected the product on the field.
How many years did Singletary get, btw? Not a great coach...meh...maybe..maybe not...His skill is as a talent evaluator..and motivator...

Just curious also. Did he actually have full control or final say on personnel? My guess is no with him never being an HC before that.
While he may have not had full control...I think we both can agree he had something to do with acquiring the players, no?

Singletary was just the coach, he had nothing to do with personnel at all.
ahh my man Les....
Nothing to do with personnel...anytime I see words like "never", "nothing", "always"....it needs a qualifier for me...Because at the VERY least, he decided to not CUT any of the acquired players. And gave them valuable playing experience. So, IMO, he did have something to do with them...And I'd be hard pressed to not believe that Iron Mike didn't look at most of the drafted DEFENSIVE players, esp. the LINEBACKERS, and didn't give them the thumbs up...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
How and why....hmm...
I see being a general manager's job as assembling talented scouts in various regions of the country. And the ability to recognize talent. Special talent, that will translate to the pro level. I see former players as excellent candidates. In either capacity. No one believed Elway could be a great GM/President, when in fact he appears to be one of the best now. They said the same about Dan Marino in Miami....Not sure what he does down there but the results haven't panned out. The only question in my mind is, will ED put in the work. Just by listening to him, he seems passionate about the RAMS...Lives in LA and actually wants the job. Sounds like a match to me. As I have said previously, I don't believe evaluating college talent is necessarily hard....if you know what you're looking for.
And if it happens I suppose I will roll with it like always. But key differences in what you are talking about is that John Elway was and still is a pretty sharp businessman outside of football. He also owned an arena league team for 6 years. Marino was only VP at Miami for the blink of an eye and not sure how much he is really involved at this point. Dickerson hasn't really done much of anything after football beyond a small memorabilia company and wagging his tongue. I simply don't see him as GM material. Now - taking on an advisory role and see how he does? Sure. We know he is passionate about the team. Giving him a job having to do with something he is passionate about? Maybe he takes it and runs with it - obvious pun unintended.

I'm not saying that former players couldn't do a good job or even that ED couldn't. I just don't see anything about his activities after his pro career that would indicate it.