Dutch Coach Slams American Football....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram_of_Old

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Are we talking a foot race, a skating race or a fight?

If the latter, do they get to wear their skates?

We let them wear their skates on dry land. A compromise!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The Netherlands only got 1 less medal in Sochi if i'm not mistaken; for a country with a population thats approx. 20 times less than that of the USA, i'd say thats suggests that they're not really wasting all of their talent and actually did a really good job in Sochi comparatively.
I'll accept that they did a good job in Sochi. And that's great for them. I didn't hear any of the US coaches calling out the Danish athletes. No one said they were wasting their talent. Obviously it was ALL on the ice track in the one sport they could do well in. :cool::ROFLMAO:

The dickhead coach with the quote is still a POS and thinks his sport is the be all end all. Once every four years, someone cares about speed skating outside of speed skaters. BFD. It was a low class idiotic statement. And since when did it take better athletes than in any other sport to skate around an oval piece of ice? Yeah - I can see the playbook those guys have to learn. And such an array of athletic skills they have to learn. They are truly amazing! Such a combination of intelligence and athletic ability. I can see why skaters would pick that sport over playing in the NFL.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The Netherlands only got 1 less medal in Sochi if i'm not mistaken; for a country with a population thats approx. 20 times less than that of the USA, i'd say thats suggests that they're not really wasting all of their talent and actually did a really good job in Sochi comparatively.

BTW - it was 4 less and we medaled in 7 sports compared to their 1 and we were medal contenders in many others. It's not the kind of comparison you or he is trying to make - even if you limit it just to the Olympics. The pinhead made very insulting statements to our athletes and our country. Statements that were not even close to being based in reality outside of his limited little world.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Fuggin Hosers - eh? Probably a lot of Danes up there.

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
I'll accept that they did a good job in Sochi. And that's great for them. I didn't hear any of the US coaches calling out the Danish athletes. No one said they were wasting their talent. Obviously it was ALL on the ice track in the one sport they could do well in. :cool::ROFLMAO:

The dickhead coach with the quote is still a POS and thinks his sport is the be all end all. Once every four years, someone cares about speed skating outside of speed skaters. BFD. It was a low class idiotic statement. And since when did it take better athletes than in any other sport to skate around an oval piece of ice? Yeah - I can see the playbook those guys have to learn. And such an array of athletic skills they have to learn. They are truly amazing! Such a combination of intelligence and athletic ability. I can see why skaters would pick that sport over playing in the NFL.
Oh, don't get me wrong, i agree with you, Football is a more difficult sport physically and mentally. I also agree that it's a rediculous comment from the guy saying that another sport 'sucks'. He's supposed to be a proffessional and so this type of thing reflects badly on his country as a whole; i.e. He's kinda casting the Netherlands in a bad light with his statements.
The only thing i took issue with is Ramrasta's comment that the Netherlands were wasting their athletes on other sports because they didn't win as many medals as the USA. By all accounts, with a population the size of the USA it should be considered a disappointment NOT to be towards the top of the medal table. Whereas the Netherlands competing at the level that they do in the Olympics, and also having a very good 'soccer' team, suggests that they aren't really wasting their talent at all.

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
BTW - it was 4 less and we medaled in 7 sports compared to their 1 and we were medal contenders in many others. It's not the kind of comparison you or he is trying to make - even if you limit it just to the Olympics. The pinhead made very insulting statements to our athletes and our country. Statements that were not even close to being based in reality outside of his limited little world.
Also, not sure if you were simply being facetious or not but you realise that Danes are not from the Netherlands right? People from the Netherlands are Dutch; Danes are from Denmark :p

Ram_of_Old

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I say we get Chris Long to run a pick on one of their speed skaters and know his block off....

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Oh, don't get me wrong, i agree with you, Football is a more difficult sport physically and mentally. I also agree that it's a rediculous comment from the guy saying that another sport 'sucks'. He's supposed to be a proffessional and so this type of thing reflects badly on his country as a whole; i.e. He's kinda casting the Netherlands in a bad light with his statements.

And this is pretty much my only problem with the whole thing. I don't assume he mirrors the attitude of his country or its athletes. In my book he doesn't deserve that much credit and his athletes shouldn't take the blame for him.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Also, not sure if you were simply being facetious or not but you realise that Danes are not from the Netherlands right? People from the Netherlands are Dutch; Danes are from Denmark :p
No. Just being geographically challenged for a bit. I knew that I was effing that up as I typed it. My nephew is a Dane named Dane. I'm actually of Dutch/German descent myself. So I gots no excuses. :cool:

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
They'd have to learn to turn right. Ever watch a Nascar racer on a road course? That's a kick.
Haha true. In seriousness though, one would imagine that they will be excellent skaters in general to be able to go the speeds that they do with such control.
On the NASCAR point, does Juan Pablo Montoya still race NASCAR? He used to be pretty good as an F1 driver. Although i'd imagine most of them would struggle with the whole turning right thing :ROFLMAO:

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
No. Just being geographically challenged for a bit. I knew that I was effing that up as I typed it. My nephew is a Dane named Dane. I'm actually of Dutch/German descent myself. So I gots no excuses. :cool:
That's what i like to call a Brain Fart :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::cool:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Haha true. In seriousness though, one would imagine that they will be excellent skaters in general to be able to go the speeds that they do with such control.
On the NASCAR point, does Juan Pablo Montoya still race NASCAR? He used to be pretty good as an F1 driver. Although i'd imagine most of them would struggle with the whole turning right thing :ROFLMAO:
I think so. He is one of the few that actually turns right effectively. I watch him waste the field at the Mexico City Nascar event a few years back. We used to go to the Indy/CART races here in Portland and the Saturday race was usually what they called Western Winstons - kind of the minor leagues of Nascar. What a gas watching those guys try to negotiate a road course. Lot of paint trading going on. No big crashes which was actually cool because it was pretty rare for anyone to get injured. But for a spectator it was a great time.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler

The Netherlands got all but one of their 24 medals in speed skating. The US collected their 28 medals in freestyle skiing, alpine skiing, snowboarding, figure skating, bobsleigh, skeleton, hockey, short track, and luge. That is where the disconnect is mainly, the talent in more than one area.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Ice hockey?

Maybe but the payscale is nowhere near the same between the NFL and NHL. Besides, being able to skate fast and handling a puck don't always go hand in hand. I bet that if the Dutch speed skaters were good at hockey then they would already be playing it professionally.