Drafting Ogletree is risky business for Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

F. Mulder

Starter
Picking up on the whole Yoda thing- I think a lot of these guys run into trouble for two reasons:

1) they are surrounded by sycophants and they are constantly told by everyone from there family, their coaches, their cheerleaders, their friends, people who they pass in the street, and the alumni, that they are THE SHIT. As a result some act like it. They don't attend class. They treat people (especially girls) like crap, they basically live like they are somehow entitled and above normal living.

2) they are glorified street punks. If it weren't for sports they'd be faced with working at a fast food place or jacking cars or dealing so they see football as a way to get paid and still do both.

One thing I HOPE/PRAY that the Rams at least have done (unlike other teams like seemingly the Bengals) is to establish a support system. These guys need locker room mentors and leaders. They need administrative personnel willing and able to check in on them and hold them accountable and help them adjust to the "real-world." They also need to have a lot of people tell them how they are accountable for their actions and how their actions not only effect the team but all the people who care for them.

Ask J Jenkins how many dollars he lost. Alex Og basically said the same thing; he lost millions of dollars from going top 15 to end of round 1. Ask Honey Badger. He is doing cartwheels because he went in the THIRD round when most had him as a 1/2 before all the stuff took place.

I think Fisher sees himself as some type of maverick and guy who can reach troubled souls ala Pac Man, Jenkins, T. Johnson, the flier on T Young. But it only works if you have people willing to ensure these guys have the resources necessary to turn the corner and become not only the great athletes they are, but at the least solid citizens.

TomSlick

UDFA
F. Mulder said:
One thing I HOPE/PRAY that the Rams at least have done (unlike other teams like seemingly the Bengals) is to establish a support system. These guys need locker room mentors and leaders. They need administrative personnel willing and able to check in on them and hold them accountable and help them adjust to the "real-world." They also need to have a lot of people tell them how they are accountable for their actions and how their actions not only effect the team but all the people who care for them.

When Snead was hired last year he made a point of saying that once you are a member of the RAMS, you are in the RAM family. The RAMS will do everything they can to make sure a player does NOT get into trouble...finances, personal stuff, etc. Fisher and Snead appear a perfect match...grounded, willing to take an educated risk and heads not in the clouds.

TomSlick

UDFA
CGI_Ram said:
had said:
This whole thing with drafting kids who have been in trouble is interesting to me, so I’m going to get all Yoda on it for a second. Seems to me that these kids generally have superior physical skills but lack humility, and that they lack humility because really, deep down, they feel inferior somehow, and they’re afraid, so they cover it up with false brass. It seems to me that Fisher not only believes that he can reach these kids, but that he prefers to work with them because that’s what’s fulfilling to Fisher. And it seems it’d be a real fine line working with these kids, because you never want to take away the kid’s cockiness, but the kid has to learn humility, the idea of playing for his teammates and not himself, the idea of sacrificing for the team, of raising up the team, not himself. Fisher seems to like his defense to play on the edge, toe that line between aggression and infraction, and seems to have comfort with kids who occasionally step over that line. Seems to me that’s what’s interesting to Fisher, and it’s interesting to me how he goes about reaching these kids, because it’s not just about watching his fall in the draft for this Ogletree kid, imo, it’s about learning that he’s subordinate to the team’s needs and can’t act the fool because it hurts the team. One thing is for sure, Fisher and Snead are bringing in physically gifted kids who like to hit, and this Rams defense is going to be a snarling nasty D. It’s maybe not the stretch that some people think it is – drafting kids like Jenkins and Ogletree – maybe there’s an understanding Fisher has, some connection he makes with these kids. I don’t know. Just thinking out loud.

25.jpg

Hey, CGI, where'd you get a picture of my Uncle Phil?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
TomSlick said:
CGI_Ram said:
had said:
This whole thing with drafting kids who have been in trouble is interesting to me, so I’m going to get all Yoda on it for a second. Seems to me that these kids generally have superior physical skills but lack humility, and that they lack humility because really, deep down, they feel inferior somehow, and they’re afraid, so they cover it up with false brass. It seems to me that Fisher not only believes that he can reach these kids, but that he prefers to work with them because that’s what’s fulfilling to Fisher. And it seems it’d be a real fine line working with these kids, because you never want to take away the kid’s cockiness, but the kid has to learn humility, the idea of playing for his teammates and not himself, the idea of sacrificing for the team, of raising up the team, not himself. Fisher seems to like his defense to play on the edge, toe that line between aggression and infraction, and seems to have comfort with kids who occasionally step over that line. Seems to me that’s what’s interesting to Fisher, and it’s interesting to me how he goes about reaching these kids, because it’s not just about watching his fall in the draft for this Ogletree kid, imo, it’s about learning that he’s subordinate to the team’s needs and can’t act the fool because it hurts the team. One thing is for sure, Fisher and Snead are bringing in physically gifted kids who like to hit, and this Rams defense is going to be a snarling nasty D. It’s maybe not the stretch that some people think it is – drafting kids like Jenkins and Ogletree – maybe there’s an understanding Fisher has, some connection he makes with these kids. I don’t know. Just thinking out loud.

25.jpg

Hey, CGI, where'd you get a picture of my Uncle Phil?

From your mom's purse... :lmao:

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I'm good with Ogletree. Same thoughts out there about Jenkins last year. These guys need to see the big picture in what a great opportunity they have that most don't. I am confident that Fisher and staff will keep him grounded, along with Laurinaitis becoming this kids mentor too. We all make mistakes in life. Hopefully Ogletree will see that he has a chance to be a part of, what I believe will be, a great team for a long time and he makes the right decisions. :crossed:

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I just want Alec to stay away from the crowd who will drag you down. Not your real friends the fake ones.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
GreeneCounty said:
I just want Alec to stay away from the crowd who will drag you down. Not your real friends the fake ones.
Me too. I want JL and Chris Long to take him under their wing and teach him to stay away from negative influences. Hopefully, like Jenkins seemingly has, he's learned his lesson.