Drafting Ogletree is risky business for Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
One veteran agent, who knows basically everybody in the NFL, told the Post-Dispatch last week: “Nobody likes him.”
It wouldn’t be surprising if some close to coach Jeff Fisher told him not to do it.

He did it.

Fisher and the Rams selected Georgia linebacker Alec Ogletree on Thursday night at No. 30 overall. So when it came to Round 1, the veteran agent was right: most of the league did pass on Ogletree.

It’s a controversial pick for the Rams, and a potential train wreck because of Ogletree’s off-the-field issues in college. He was suspended four games at the start of Georgia’s 2012 season for violating the school’s drug policy. Nonetheless, he led the Bulldogs with 111 tackles, including 11½ tackles for loss and three sacks last season in just 10 games.

And then, shortly before the NFL Scouting Combine, Ogletree was arrested for driving under the influence.

Ogletree’s father, Al, his longtime youth football coach and lifetime counselor, has talked to Alec about the dangers of falling in with the wrong crowd and did so in graphic terms.

He told his son that if you meet a person and he befriends you, “and he takes you through manure and you walk through it with him, OK, that’s a mistake. But if they take you back through that same door again and you see that manure, it’s not a mistake anymore.”

It’s a problem.

“So you’ve got to choose, do I want to go this way, or do I walk over this way?” Al Ogletree said.

Obviously, Alec has walked the wrong way more than once. Besides the two off-the-field issues this year, he was charged with theft earlier in his college career for taking a Georgia track athlete’s motorcycle helmet.

On Thursday night, Olgetree learned the hard way the impact of such missteps. Widely considered to be a top 15 talent, he watched name after name called by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell before he was finally selected.

“You know people are going to make mistakes and I think that this was a maturity issue,” Fisher said after the pick was made Thursday night. “He understands. He learned very well, very quickly what kind of effect those choices have.”

The financial impact of dropping to No. 30 from the top 15 is immense. Try about $2.5 million. As an example, last year’s No. 14 overall pick – Rams defensive end Michael Brockers – signed a four-year, $9.52 million contract. Last year’s No. 30 overall pick, San Francisco wide receiver A.J. Jenkins, signed a four-year $6.9 million deal.

The difference between the Brockers and Jenkins deals: $2.62 million.

“But we don’t have a concern,” Fisher said. “We felt, because of some of the issues, that he had a chance to fall. Didn’t think he’d (fall) that far, but we were in the right place at the right time.”

Ogletree and his parents joined the Rams’ other first-round draft pick, wide receiver Tavon Austin and his parents, at an introductory press conference Friday at Rams Park. As was the case in his conference call Thursday night with reporters, Ogletree sounded much more remorseful about his off-field issues than he did at the NFL Scouting Combine in February.

“I really want to thank the Rams’ organization for taking a chance on me,” Ogletree said, speaking in a crowded team auditorium full of media members and team employees.

“I just had to make sure I let ’em know that everything was behind me, and I’m ready to seize the opportunity that they’re ready to give me. I have to move forward.”

Watching himself plummet in the first round helped drive home the point that his college indiscretions weren’t welcomed by the NFL.

“The reality check really hit him last night with the waiting process,” said his father. “He was dealing with it, but I know in the back of his mind, he was like, ‘Man.’ ”

Ogletree’s anxious Thursday evening was spent at the Atlanta home of his agent Pat Dye Jr. The Ogletrees also live in the Atlanta area, and there were family members, friends, and former high school coaches on hand. When the phone rang before the No. 30 pick, the assembly went wild, screaming and hollering. For all they knew it could have been a telemarketer on the line. But it was, in fact, Fisher to tell Ogletree the news. The noise was so loud in Atlanta, Ogletree could barely hear Fisher.

Now that he’s drafted, Ogletree is hoping the only noise he makes in St. Louis is on the field. He almost certainly will start at one of the Rams’ outside linebacker spots, joining James Laurinaitis and Jo-Lonn Dunbar in the LB corps.

The thing Ogletree does best is run and chase, a valuable skill in an NFC West that features mobile, speedy read-option quarterbacks Colin Kaepernick of San Francisco and Russell Wilson of Seattle.

“First off, he’s a smart football player,” Fisher said. “He’s instinctive, he understands concepts. You can see him making coverage adjustments and anticipating plays. That in itself helps as opposed to someone that is just reacting to something.

“He’ll put himself in position to make plays. He can chase down. As I said, he has excellent speed – pursuit speed to where he can close very quickly. That’s what we need in our division.”

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/drafting-ogletree-is-risky-business-for-rams/article_bf116db4-6e44-530e-86eb-a4eb4d36735d.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... 6735d.html</a>

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
The only real problem player fish has taken that he couldnt control was Adam dumbass Jones. I think ogle will be a good fit for the stashe

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Not worried in the slightest.

I'm sure many, if not most of us, have done plenty of dumbass things before our college graduation. But I'd imagine that the vast majority of us have left all of those things in the past, and they have not been reocurring problems. Get the kid some adult-level positive influence and he'll be just fine.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Rabid Ram said:
The only real problem player fish has taken that he couldnt control was Adam dumbass Jones. I think ogle will be a good fit for the stashe

Adam "make it rain" Jones has changed his life around. Gotta give him props for that. He did an excellent job giving a speech of his mistakes at the rookie Ciborium last year. I'm sure when #55,#91 get a hold of him he shall follow! Dennis McGinnis, Frank Bush, Jeff Fisher & Tom Walton have a way of getting the best out of the players. Leadership in ten-folds!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
"Tell me about it."
dm_120427_nfl_interview_jenkins.jpg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47PfbcbOWcA[/youtube]

A55VA6

Legend
:lol: Ah, I love Janoris.

I think Alec will be just fine. He seems like such a good kid and grateful for the opportunity. He'll be a stud.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Kid has talent so I feel he be all ite under Fisher. Pac man was another ballgame.

nighttrain

Legend
Rams & their fans just have to hope. Ogletree has the talent to be a game changer. Hope he's that and doesn't go down the wrong road..
train

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Cortland is the mentor to Jenkins.

Long to Quinn.

JL needs to step up and own Ogletree.

That's what veteran leadership is for.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Well guys FWIW, the NFL NEEDS to take pot OFF it's banned substance list and put toredol on it.

The IL. House of Reps has voted to legalize medical pot don't know if the Senate and Gov. are on board, but with the "East Side" being so accesible to these players I don't know how we keep them "clean" and eligible.
Hell they can just rent condos or apartments on the East Side and get the stuff and "hold " legally there.
I'm thinking of building Taco Bells all over East St.Lou :lmao:
CO has it legal for rec use
The NFL needs to take the lead on this

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Thordaddy said:
Well guys FWIW, the NFL NEEDS to take pot OFF it's banned substance list and put toredol on it.

The IL. House of Reps has voted to legalize medical pot don't know if the Senate and Gov. are on board, but with the "East Side" being so accesible to these players I don't know how we keep them "clean" and eligible.
Hell they can just rent condos or apartments on the East Side and get the stuff and "hold " legally there.
Lmao need a buisness partner

jap

Legend
Alec has already gotten a very hard lesson just from the first draft night. His past shenanigans caused him to be knocked out of the top 15 selections all the way down to #30. In doing so, he lost over 2.5 million dollars based on last year's rookie pay scale. The very things his father warned him about manifested itself fiscally.

Fish noted during the press conference with his two 1st rounders that Alec was already learning the pitfalls of doing stupid things. That message will be reinforced by the veterans and the coaching brass going forward.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Thordaddy said:

Toradol is not that bad...it's just an NSAID. It's essentially like aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxyn, etc. It can cause some stomach irritation and possible kidney failure, but all of those meds can

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Since booze is legal, Pot should be legal.

That has NEVER made any sense to me.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
His potential outweighs the risk. Its not like he was shooting people.Fisher and his teammates will give him support and the rest is up to him.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Username said:
"Tell me about it."
dm_120427_nfl_interview_jenkins.jpg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47PfbcbOWcA[/youtube]

Thanks for posting that it was an enjoyable 4:52.

had

Rookie
This whole thing with drafting kids who have been in trouble is interesting to me, so I’m going to get all Yoda on it for a second. Seems to me that these kids generally have superior physical skills but lack humility, and that they lack humility because really, deep down, they feel inferior somehow, and they’re afraid, so they cover it up with false brass. It seems to me that Fisher not only believes that he can reach these kids, but that he prefers to work with them because that’s what’s fulfilling to Fisher. And it seems it’d be a real fine line working with these kids, because you never want to take away the kid’s cockiness, but the kid has to learn humility, the idea of playing for his teammates and not himself, the idea of sacrificing for the team, of raising up the team, not himself. Fisher seems to like his defense to play on the edge, toe that line between aggression and infraction, and seems to have comfort with kids who occasionally step over that line. Seems to me that’s what’s interesting to Fisher, and it’s interesting to me how he goes about reaching these kids, because it’s not just about watching his fall in the draft for this Ogletree kid, imo, it’s about learning that he’s subordinate to the team’s needs and can’t act the fool because it hurts the team. One thing is for sure, Fisher and Snead are bringing in physically gifted kids who like to hit, and this Rams defense is going to be a snarling nasty D. It’s maybe not the stretch that some people think it is – drafting kids like Jenkins and Ogletree – maybe there’s an understanding Fisher has, some connection he makes with these kids. I don’t know. Just thinking out loud.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
brokeu91 said:
Thordaddy said:

Toradol is not that bad...it's just an NSAID. It's essentially like aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxyn, etc. It can cause some stomach irritation and possible kidney failure, but all of those meds can

Well yeah except it's WAY more likely to the point of going well beyond "can" to DOES . Especially in the dosage being used.

I've been on Indocin and it's great , but not for any sort of long term use.

Anyway , we are going into at a painfull rate an era where pot is going to be legal enough places that you can conceivably fail drug tests even though you were using it lawfully when you used it, that's just dumb.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
had said:
This whole thing with drafting kids who have been in trouble is interesting to me, so I’m going to get all Yoda on it for a second. Seems to me that these kids generally have superior physical skills but lack humility, and that they lack humility because really, deep down, they feel inferior somehow, and they’re afraid, so they cover it up with false brass. It seems to me that Fisher not only believes that he can reach these kids, but that he prefers to work with them because that’s what’s fulfilling to Fisher. And it seems it’d be a real fine line working with these kids, because you never want to take away the kid’s cockiness, but the kid has to learn humility, the idea of playing for his teammates and not himself, the idea of sacrificing for the team, of raising up the team, not himself. Fisher seems to like his defense to play on the edge, toe that line between aggression and infraction, and seems to have comfort with kids who occasionally step over that line. Seems to me that’s what’s interesting to Fisher, and it’s interesting to me how he goes about reaching these kids, because it’s not just about watching his fall in the draft for this Ogletree kid, imo, it’s about learning that he’s subordinate to the team’s needs and can’t act the fool because it hurts the team. One thing is for sure, Fisher and Snead are bringing in physically gifted kids who like to hit, and this Rams defense is going to be a snarling nasty D. It’s maybe not the stretch that some people think it is – drafting kids like Jenkins and Ogletree – maybe there’s an understanding Fisher has, some connection he makes with these kids. I don’t know. Just thinking out loud.

25.jpg

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
had said:

I think ....short form ,Fisher knows with most of these kids the biggest difference is some got caught others didn't,random chance.

He's got the been there done that t shirt and isn't fooling himself into thinking he's running a monestary or a boy scout troop, clean it up be smart and play football.

It's a different world than the one Tom Landry grew up in.