DR RAMS Exam of the OL during the Browns Preseason Game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Tackle play: Barksdale played pretty well on the right after the 1st series. He struggled a little bit with the speed rush, he appeared to stop this kick slide a half a second too soon, because he seemed to be worried about anchoring too late. When Barksdale went to the left side, he had his moments, but he struggled on a few plays there too. He tends to get overextended at times. Jake Long played pretty well, he's a pleasure to watch, because he such a great technician, his footwork is almost flawless, and he uses hands extremely well. He did get overpowered a couple of times, but I think that is because he's just not in game shape-- didn't have his feet under him yet.

Ty Nsekhe did not grade out very well, and he got a lot of snaps. He just seems like he's a bit of a plodder, he has very slow feet, is technically just decent, and he doesn't really overpower anybody. I would have a hard time giving him a roster spot based on his play, but we definitely need more help it tackle. I thought he played a little better on the left side than he did on the right, but that's not saying much. I don't think anybody else deserves mentioning, because there's no way they're going to make this team. I don't see any PS possibilities either. Currently, with Saffold out, offensive tackle is one of the weakest positions on our team.

Guard play: Harvey Dahl missed the cut block which contributed in the Isaiah Pead fumble, when Phil Taylor clubbed the ball. Harvey Dahl also missed the block on defensive tackle Billy Winn, which got Darrell Richardson absolutely clocked. Dahl didn't finish his block on Pead's next run which could've been a big gainer if you would have. I thought in this game, Harvey's blocking was very insufficient. Chris Williams played pretty darn good game. It seems as if Williams has learned to play with leverage, he can probably thank Brockers for that. He also had a couple key blocks on big runs. I thought Chris Williams play a little better than Shelley Smith, but we may need Chris Williams to play tackle, until Rodger Saffold gets better.

Smith played pretty well, but he did get beat a couple times and pass protection. Smith plays with good leverage, but sometimes it gets him in trouble because he gets his head out a little too far over his feet, which leaves him susceptible to getting tugged, and then he is off balance. Smith still played pretty good, and was particularly good in the run game. Smith had a holding call on him early in the 2nd half. Smith played both left and right guard, and he seems adept at both, but looks slightly better on the right. Brandon Washington seems to know how to play mentally, but I don't think he has the feet to play in the NFL. He made several smart plays throughout the game, but really struggled in space, and with any kind of speed that was thrown at him. I don't think I would even keep him on the practice squad. Ryan Lee didn't play as many snaps as most, but I would like to watch him more. I saw him make some pretty good plays out there, in particular, he made a key block for Bennie Cunningham on a nice gainer. Lee plays with exceptional knee bend, and plays to the whistle.

Center play: Scott Wells, Tim Barnes, and Barrett Jones. This appears to be a real strength on our team. I thought all 3 of these centers did an exceptional job throughout the game, but I was quite pleasantly surprised of the play of Barrett Jones. He's a gamer. Jones rarely lost, he didn't overpower anybody but he never got beat. Barrett plays with really good leverage, and just seems to have a great understanding of the game. Scott Wells was the best center, but I had all of them graded out very high. I would like to see either Jones or Barnes get some snaps a guard, because we could use some more help there. All of them played with very good technique.

Tight ends: I didn't put a lot of time into studying them, but Cook got tossed like a rag doll on one play, but I saw him blocked pretty well on a few other plays. Harkey, however, had some key blocks, and has definitely moved ahead of Mike McNeil, even though they are different types of tight ends. He impressed me on several blocks, including saving Sam's ass on the best Rams play of the day. Lutz had a couple nice down blocks.

Upon further examination:
On a 3rd and 5, CW lost his balance and fell, but though all the traffic, Pead made an exceptional blitz pickup, and buried, D jackson. On the punt return for the TD, I think that Ray-Ray had the contain responsibility on that side, but, there was more than one mistake. Hekker ended up being the only chance, but he took a horrible angle. Bradford's deep ball to Givens was in the air longer than 60 yards.

Both Conrath and Brodine showed some promise, and Brodine demonstrated excellent recognition, and then closing speed on a screen play. They both flashed a few times for me, and Conrath was stout against the run. Ray Ray showed up on a few plays, played pretty fast, and was stouter than I thought he'd be, but he needs to trust his reads, and react a little faster. The corners played way too far off of the ball, IMO. Hayes looked like he was having problems running full speed, he appeared to be out of shape. Smith on the right, and CW on the left looked pretty good to me, just saying.

Eugene Sims with a sack on early center snap, showed good burst, and balance. Hull was active and efficient, and Bates flashed a couple of times. Too many drops by our receivers. Stacy totally whiffed in pass pro, and then later had a nice pickup. Noticed the Browns were doing some pretty exotic stuff, blitzing, and pass rushing, using twists, and stunts. Rivers has some work to do, but you can see the talent, and he was playing with discipline. Benny had a real nice kickoff return in the 2nd half. Goebel flashed good and bad, but the good was pretty good. It was hard to evaluate the corners, just too much cushion. Rashard Hall appeared to be in the right place most of the time, as did Cody Davis.

Questions and comments are welcomed.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
interesting take on both Nsekhe and Washington. This is exactly the same thing I see throughout camp. Neither are close to being ready to be counted on if needed.

Jones looks like one of those guys who just rises to the occasion when they turn on the lights. HE has not shown much at practice, but come game time, he just "gets it".

The one guy I am very impressed with, both at camp, and thought played very well, was Cody Davis. He reads the play in front of him, and closes on the ball quite well. his near interception was an example of this, as opposed to Stewart who sits back and waits til the play is made only to come up and miss yet another tackle going for the HIT rather than wrapping up.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
Thanks DR. Good work on the O Line exam. I watched the game twice And going to again. Your spot on.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
CoachO said:
interesting take on both Nsekhe and Washington. This is exactly the same thing I see throughout camp. Neither are close to being ready to be counted on if needed.

Jones looks like one of those guys who just rises to the occasion when they turn on the lights. HE has not shown much at practice, but come game time, he just "gets it".

The one guy I am very impressed with, both at camp, and thought played very well, was Cody Davis. He reads the play in front of him, and closes on the ball quite well. his near interception was an example of this, as opposed to Stewart who sits back and waits til the play is made only to come up and miss yet another tackle going for the HIT rather than wrapping up.
Yeah CoachO, I just don't see these two guys as being NFL caliber offensive lineman, they both have fatal flaws...bad, or slow feet. It's a shame, because Washington seems to play really smart, hard, is good at helping other lineman, but (and he tries) he can't pass pro, and he can't get to the second level quick enough.

Nsekhe has some talent, and exceptional size, pretty decent hands too, but he can't play in space. We tried a reverse to Radway, and he got to where he needed to be, but isn't quick enough to make any impact on a linebacker, they shuck him was too easy. His tech on his kick slide is a little suspect at times, as he tends to drag a little and just slides too slow. The Browns were hip to it, and they have been coached pretty well...need to look their DL coach up....and they were all using like a deek move to the outside, and then a step back power rush to the inside, or other side, because they used it both ways. This one move by several Browns caused a couple holding penalties.

So, I got my eye on Ryan Lee now. Any info from camp on him?

Davis looked pretty solid, and I hate to say this, but reminded me a bit of Craig Dahl, without the shitty angles, but the whole secondary was a little slow to every play IMO. It appeared to me, as if they were under strict orders to keep the play in front of them, and not gamble at all. I see Stewart a little different than you, because I thought he was really hung out to try by poor play of others when he started a couple years ago. He covered a whole half of the field a lot, but he was too aggressive, and can get a little OC, but we really haven't seen much of him under Fisher. Davis or McLeod might just win that job though. It was a tough eval, because of how they were instructed (IMO) to play.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Great stuff Doc!

Just saw the game myself
I thought Hayes wasn't the only one who wasn't in game shape. I wonder if Fisher is being too easy on the vets.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
albefree69 said:
Great stuff Doc!

Just saw the game myself
I thought Hayes wasn't the only one who wasn't in game shape. I wonder if Fisher is being too easy on the vets.
Yeah, I mentioned this earlier, and didn't want to beat it to death, but I agree, a lot of guys were out of shape, but I'm not worried about it.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I hear you but I seem to remember that last year our D would be really good until the 4th quarter and that was laid on the O sucking. Now I'm wondering.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
CoachO said:

Yeah CoachO, I just don't see these two guys as being NFL caliber offensive lineman, they both have fatal flaws...bad, or slow feet. It's a shame, because Washington seems to play really smart, hard, is good at helping other lineman, but (and he tries) he can't pass pro, and he can't get to the second level quick enough.

Nsekhe has some talent, and exceptional size, pretty decent hands too, but he can't play in space. We tried a reverse to Radway, and he got to where he needed to be, but isn't quick enough to make any impact on a linebacker, they shuck him was too easy. His tech on his kick slide is a little suspect at times, as he tends to drag a little and just slides too slow. The Browns were hip to it, and they have been coached pretty well...need to look their DL coach up....and they were all using like a deek move to the outside, and then a step back power rush to the inside, or other side, because they used it both ways. This one move by several Browns caused a couple holding penalties.

Davis looked pretty solid, and I hate to say this, but reminded me a bit of Craig Dahl, without the cruddy angles, but the whole secondary was a little slow to every play IMO. It appeared to me, as if they were under strict orders to keep the play in front of them, and not gamble at all. I see Stewart a little different than you, because I thought he was really hung out to try by poor play of others when he started a couple years ago. He covered a whole half of the field a lot, but he was too aggressive, and can get a little OC, but we really haven't seen much of him under Fisher. Davis or McLeod might just win that job though. It was a tough eval, because of how they were instructed (IMO) to play.

Ryan Lee is the smallest guy in the Oline group, and it shows most of the time. His technique isn't bad, but he just gets physically out manned playing Guard. I could see it as a center, but we have that covered.

The thing I see with Stewart, thus far in camp.... he isn't doing anything to necessarily "lose" his job, but he isn't doing anything to "flash" or give the impression he can make a play. Other guys, specifically McLeod and Davis, AND certainly McDonald, all have shown the ability to close on the football. They read the play develop, rather than react to it after the fact. Which I see Stewart doing a lot of. He is playing very SAFE, not making mistakes, but not making plays either.

The guy with the best instincts is McLeod, just have to be concerned about his size, or lack thereof. That brings me back to Davis. I realize they aren't bringing guys to the ground in practice, but from everything I have seen of him, he tackles well. Maybe not the big hitter that Stewart and McDonald will be, but he just gets guys down. He made a couple of nice reads while near the LOS on Thursday, including being in a TFL.

I was not nearly as down on Dahl as most in here, and I think Davis is MUCH better than Dahl in ALL areas.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
CoachO said:
DR RAM said:
CoachO said:

Davis looked pretty solid, and I hate to say this, but reminded me a bit of Craig Dahl, without the cruddy angles, but the whole secondary was a little slow to every play IMO. It appeared to me, as if they were under strict orders to keep the play in front of them, and not gamble at all. I see Stewart a little different than you, because I thought he was really hung out to try by poor play of others when he started a couple years ago. He covered a whole half of the field a lot, but he was too aggressive, and can get a little OC, but we really haven't seen much of him under Fisher. Davis or McLeod might just win that job though. It was a tough eval, because of how they were instructed (IMO) to play.

Ryan Lee is the smallest guy in the Oline group, and it shows most of the time. His technique isn't bad, but he just gets physically out manned playing Guard. I could see it as a center, but we have that covered.

The thing I see with Stewart, thus far in camp.... he isn't doing anything to necessarily "lose" his job, but he isn't doing anything to "flash" or give the impression he can make a play. Other guys, specifically McLeod and Davis, AND certainly McDonald, all have shown the ability to close on the football. They read the play develop, rather than react to it after the fact. Which I see Stewart doing a lot of. He is playing very SAFE, not making mistakes, but not making plays either.

The guy with the best instincts is McLeod, just have to be concerned about his size, or lack thereof. That brings me back to Davis. I realize they aren't bringing guys to the ground in practice, but from everything I have seen of him, he tackles well. Maybe not the big hitter that Stewart and McDonald will be, but he just gets guys down. He made a couple of nice reads while near the LOS on Thursday, including being in a TFL.

I was not nearly as down on Dahl as most in here, and I think Davis is MUCH better than Dahl in ALL areas.
I with you on Davis, and loved his college tape. What you just said about Stewart makes me believe that he lost his job last year, by being TOO aggressive, or NOT safe. And now, maybe he's being TOO safe. If that's the case, at least he's coachable I guess. I see Stewart as more of a strong safety, than a free, but I thought he showed some good instincts a couple years ago too. He played his best in that wonky defense where he was the middle backer, IMO.

I am a big fan of Rodney, and I'm not as worried about this position as most. I am very familiar with McDonald, and his talent. Davis was a great pickup, we haven't even got to see Daniels yet this year, but he showed a little promise, and was a core ST guy.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Huh...you're the opposite of what I thought. See I thought Joe Barksdale played well @ RT but was horrible @ LT.

And the starting interior I saw was pushed back. On the deep Chris Givens pass, the pocket was collapsing in front of him, and Sam took a hit.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I also hope that Jones gets some time at Guard, but it certainly seems like he's being groomed as a replacement for Wells in the long term.

Going to Stewart, I'm not sure that Fisher seems him on the team in the long term. He's good enough he probably sticks around, but if Davis continues to grow, they may start to rotate him and Stewart out since they play the same side. Fisher is already giving McDonald more responsibility in terms of changing things up, I'm not sure that Stewart is getting that same treatment. Davis is more of a sure tackler than a hard tackler, and given that both McDonald and Stewart can hit, I'd guess that Stewart will be on a short leash as long as Davis continues to impress.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Angry Ram said:
Huh...you're the opposite of what I thought. See I thought Joe Barksdale played well @ RT but was horrible @ LT.

And the starting interior I saw was pushed back. On the deep Chris Givens pass, the pocket was collapsing in front of him, and Sam took a hit.
I said Barksdale only had his moments at LT, not exactly a ringing endorsement, and that after a few snaps, he played pretty well on the right.

On the deep pass the pocket did collapse a little on the right side, but not before Bradford stepped into that throw. because On the left side, which is where the blitz came from, Harkey picked it up nicely and prevented a sack.

I'm really not sure what you are saying that is different.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
bluecoconuts said:
I also hope that Jones gets some time at Guard, but it certainly seems like he's being groomed as a replacement for Wells in the long term.

Going to Stewart, I'm not sure that Fisher seems him on the team in the long term. He's good enough he probably sticks around, but if Davis continues to grow, they may start to rotate him and Stewart out since they play the same side. Fisher is already giving McDonald more responsibility in terms of changing things up, I'm not sure that Stewart is getting that same treatment. Davis is more of a sure tackler than a hard tackler, and given that both McDonald and Stewart can hit, I'd guess that Stewart will be on a short leash as long as Davis continues to impress.
Good points, and I agree with them.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Barksdale also intentionally tripped someone who blew by him. That was a penalty that would later cost us 7 points.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
albefree69 said:
Barksdale also intentionally tripped someone who blew by him. That was a penalty that would later cost us 7 points.
Mingo made a good move, a punch, step back, spin, and Harkey tried to chip him on the play before he ran his route, but it appears as if Harkey may have tripped Bark up a little, and then Bark who fell down pretty fast, tried to trip Mingo, but I don't think he made contact.

I'd like to make something clear, if I haven't already. Long is the best left tackle. Saffold is the best 2nd left tackle. Barksdale is the third left tackle. We have nobody after that unless they decide to put Williams back in the mix.

Saffold is the best right tackle, Bark 2nd, and I'm NOT comfortable with anybody else at this point.

I give a slight edge to Chris Williams at LG, over Shelley Smith. I would give Smith a slight edge at RG over Williams. I think Dahl needs to step it up, but it's preseason, he may be NOT selling his body out at this time. In this game, both Williams and Smith played better than Dahl, IMO.

Wells is the #1 center, Barnes is #2, and Jones is #3, and they all played very well IMO, but you have to factor competition once Jones was playing. Barnes still saw a lot of their top rotational guys, Jones not as much.

Barnes has improved the most from last year, but Smith, Williams, and Barksdale all look improved in some way.

This was only one preseason game, and some of this might change.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
DR RAM showing consistency in his views:
Long is the best left tackle. Saffold is the best 2nd left tackle. Barksdale is the third left tackle. We have nobody after that unless they decide to put Williams back in the mix.

Saffold is the best right tackle, Bark 2nd, and I'm NOT comfortable with anybody else at this point.

I give a slight edge to Chris Williams at LG, over Shelley Smith. I would give Smith a slight edge at RG over Williams. I think Dahl needs to step it up, but it's preseason, he may be NOT selling his body out at this time. In this game, both Williams and Smith played better than Dahl, IMO.

Wells is the #1 center, Barnes is #2, and Jones is #3, and they all played very well IMO, but you have to factor competition once Jones was playing. Barnes still saw a lot of their top rotational guys, Jones not as much.
It's what you've been saying and while I'm there with you on Barksdale being our third best, I'm less than sanguine about him taking over for Long or Saffold. In fact, I'm worried about it. And Dahl.

BTW, I think it's been proven (if only anecdotally ) that not playing all out invites injuries.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
albefree69 said:
DR RAM showing consistency in his views:
Long is the best left tackle. Saffold is the best 2nd left tackle. Barksdale is the third left tackle. We have nobody after that unless they decide to put Williams back in the mix.

It's what you've been saying and while I'm there with you on Barksdale being our third best, I'm less than sanguine about himtaking over for Long or Saffold. In fact, I'm worried about it. And Dahl.

BTW, I think it's been proven (if only anecdotally ) that not playing all out invites injuries.
I could live with him on the right, worried as hell if he had to play on the left. We need more help at tackle, but as long as Saffold and Long can play most of the games, and NEVER miss the same game together, then we'd be OK for this year.

That is a lot of IF's, I know, and this was just one preseason game, too early to make a final assessment on some, others....I am already convinced they can't play.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
DR RAM said:
Angry Ram said:

I said Barksdale only had his moments at LT, not exactly a ringing endorsement, and that after a few snaps, he played pretty well on the right.

On the deep pass the pocket did collapse a little on the right side, but not before Bradford stepped into that throw. because On the left side, which is where the blitz came from, Harkey picked it up nicely and prevented a sack.

I don't think Joe did well @ all on the left and I thought the starting interior was overall underwhelming.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Angry Ram said:
DR RAM said:
Angry Ram said:

I don't think Joe did well @ all on the left and I thought the starting interior was overall underwhelming.
Well...OK, but Barksdale is what we got, and I still don't get where you think that I said they played great, other than the centers. I just put what I saw. Post what you saw after hours of study. Be interested to see it.