Downtown Rams Scouting Report: Iowa TE George Kittle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

This was my first scouting report. What would you grade it?

• C. Not bad but you have a long way to go

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D. Um yeah that was rough

• F. Seriously dude you ain't no Mel Kiper Jr. gtfo!

• Total voters

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Downtown Rams Scouting Report: Iowa TE George Kittle
227364_3600c8826a8b4957821aa86936c23167~mv2.webp

https://www.downtownrams.com/single...wn-Rams-Scouting-Report-Iowa-TE-George-Kittle

In this new series we are going to start breaking down our favorite players using media, our own knowledge of the game of football and what to look for in a prospect. This first edition of our Downtown Rams Scouting Report we bring you a guy that should see his stock start to shoot up. George Kittle shows off what it means to be an Iowa Hawkeye but adds his own spin on it. We will now take an in-depth look at his game both from the positive and negative side.

George Kittle
6-foot-4
247 pounds
33 1/8 inch arms
9 1/4 inch hands
4.52 forty yard dash
18 reps on 225 lb bench press
35 inch vertical jump
132 inch broad jump

Here is Kittle's combine workout in what was quite possibly the best of the day by any tight end.

Overview:
George Kittle is one of the biggest sleeper TE prospects due to the fact he made a reputation for himself as just a blocking tight end. During his time at Iowa he played 25 games, he finished with 48 receptions for 737 yards and 10 touchdowns. Unfortunately, Kittle was not utilized in such as way that would showcase his full potential and because of that it's probably why he isn't a guaranteed second round pick right now. Kittle has ideal size at 6-foot-4 and 247 pounds. He's not the big and giant TE that teams may want but he gets away with it with his premier athleticism and blocking technique. He played all three phases of a tight end's possible game - inline, H-back and outside at WR. Kittle has the bloodline with his father playing for Iowa's 1982 team which played in the Rose Bowl. One thing coaches are going to love with Kittle is the fact he works as hard as anyone in a game or on the practice field it doesn't really matter because Kittle is going to play every down like it's his last.

Strengths:

Explosiveness
227364_9d55ad5bbce744f796d7e58f96963b6a~mv2.gif

What you have here is a player that is supposed to take on this defense end and block him in one place so the pulling guard can get around to the left side and forcefully attack his man opening up a running lane for the running back. Instead, Kittle doesn't want to just stop there he shows his explosion off of the line of scrimmage by blasting his man back almost ten yards. That's a defensive end folks that he just rag-dolled in this first clip. Pure explosion and that is one of the key elements that make Kittle so dangerous.

Ability to accelerate on a dime
227364_771416af6a4f4421b2081a99ed6da644~mv2.gif

Here in this play QB C.J. Beathard runs play action, Kittle is on the left side acting as a blocker but instead it's more of a chip block that he hits his defender with at the line of scrimmage. While that is real impressive what is even more impressive is how quickly Kittle is able to stop and go on this play. Unfortunately, it becomes all for nothing because Beathard overthrows Kittle by a half a step. Again though, this right here shows another reason why Kittle can be dangerous. Being able to use Kittle off the line with Higbee could be a nightmare scenario for the NFC West.

Receiving ability and field awareness
227364_b31f5a391be64fb9a754a93cfb44bbb0~mv2.gif

This is a simple FB wheel route that is executed to perfection after Beathard uses the play action once with the running back and then another time with the receiver faking the end around. Kittle gets behind enemy lines by following his assignment and executing a perfect play. Beathard puts the ball right on the money for Kittle who gives Iowa a huge play in a tight game versus North Dakota State. Kittle shows off his ability to be a serious threat for the defense if they don't account for him. Adding a player like Kittle to the Rams would ensure that double teams would be non-existent. Having an I formation with Gurley and Kittle is going to be hard to stop if the Rams select Kittle.

Spectacular hands and vertical threat upside
227364_46252b95e6464b669361d86a3d97b9de~mv2.gif

Right here is a gem of a play that will go right on any highlight tape for Kittle. He powers through one defensive back that tries to jam him at the line, then he accelerates up the center of the field splitting the secondary. Beathard throws another inaccurate pass but Kittle bails him out with a spectacular one-handed grab. This is just a sample of what Kittle can do at the next level. He was very aggressive in this play and because he never slowed down or hesitated and thus he was able to stay with it and make a tough catch down the seam.

Menacing blocker with a tank that never runs out of gas
227364_ed29839df80543e79e066f24b90d31a4~mv2.gif

This video went pretty viral like the Aaron Donald vs Cyril Richardson senior bowl one (I don't think I have to tell you who won that one). Anyway, Kittle shows off his explosion again but this time he launches this defensive end almost out of bounds. Kittle shows great technique as he puts his head right into the defenders pads and drives him him back with serious authority. This right here is going to give Kittle the blocker reputation I previously mentioned. This won't go away when he enters the NFL. Yes, maybe that DE isn't exactly like having a Jason Pierre-Paul like end coming at Kittle but still Kittle eats his lunch in this clip and it's just brutal. A clear non-stop motor.

Goal line finisher

It's an inside zone run here in which Nebraska does a nice job of penetrating the backfield. If George Kittle doesn't step up in the red zone and drive his man out of the way the play likely backfires. Kittle of course rises to the occasion and does just that by driving his man completely out of the way for LeShun Daniels to scamper in the end zone. Last year Kittle could have helped clear a path for Todd Gurley. On this play you see Kittle use all of his leverage and take over the play. The Rams will have a red zone threat in Kittle if selected due to his ability to make plays as a receiver but also act as a human battering ram for the ball carrier.

Weaknesses:
The weaknesses are minimal and mainly they are things that couldn't really be controlled by Kittle himself. First of all Kittle didn't really get a ton of chances to play. When he came in to catch passes he was effective, but it wasn't extremely often. Due to the lack of usage and under-utilizing Kittle he comes to the NFL with some question marks.

Route running
He wasn't used in different type of routes like the majority of the tight ends in this class. Basically Kittle ran wheel routes, stop-and-go routes, in and out routes, seam routes and screens. He really wasn't used in anything too complex and thus when he gets to the NFL you will notice a player that will need to refine his cutting ability. He rounds off his routes at times and if he's going to be your starting TE that needs to be fixed.

Durability
Kittle battled injuries in 2016 and 2015 which caused him to miss seven games over those two seasons alone. We have seen injuries derail rookies like Tyler Higbee last year. Kittle can't afford to battle injuries in the NFL. He will make his money as an every down inline TE or even as a fullback.

Lack of experience
This is a weakness whether it was Kittle's fault or not the fact is that despite how great he looked at the combine it doesn't change the fact Iowa didn't use him a lot in the passing game like some of the other tight ends in this class. That could hurt him or it might not. I think all this really does is make it so Kittle has to play as the second tight end as supposed to carrying the load by himself.

Final Conclusion:
This is one of my favorite players I have watched film on this draft season period. I keep saying it and I'm not going to stop saying it. Kittle embodies everything new Rams HC Sean McVay wants in a football player. This is a player that is going to step on the practice field right away and earn his role. He plays like every down is his last. Players take plays off? Kittle wouldn't even be able to comprehend the idea of taking a play off. Kittle just is a different breed of football player. He is the ultimate team player and you see that with the way he blocks. Totally selfless and on top of it he's pretty darn talented as well. This is a player you see come around and you think blocker. Kittle is going to stun defenses when his offensive coordinator learns how to play him to his strengths.

I think Kittle is either going late third or early fourth round. I think that McVay will ultimately find Kittle too valuable to pass up on as he is the culture change McVay wants to make. McVay has been a TE's coach and he's also been an offensive coordinator so he will know how to get him involved. The Rams released Lance Kendricks so it's just Tyler Higbee, Temarrick Hemingway and Cory Harkey left on the roster. McVay leans heavily on a play action heavy scheme with multiple tight ends and so he will likely need to add one more to the fray and that will be and rightfully should be Kittle. There is already one Hawkeye on the Rams by the name of Andrew Donnal so I am sure he could attest to Kittle's hard-working demeanor.

Overall, I found Kittle was actually the hardest to find a player comparison for out of anyone I scouted. I think ultimately he's a mixture of former Indianapolis Colt legend Dallas Clark, Buffalo Bill Charles Clay and former Redskin Chris Cooley. Kittle is a similar receiver to Clark but he runs like Clay and blocks like Cooley. I think Kittle is a new breed, I don't think I have ever seen this type of athlete able to stretch the field and block the way he does.

What are your thoughts on Kittle Rams fans? Let us know and stay tuned because we have two big-time SEC players on tap for you in our next Downtown Rams Scouting Reports.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I like it, but I want the Rams to draft George Kittle there are some great names for Tight Ends this year....Jake Butt, Jeremy Sprinkle, Kittle and Evan Engram if you're a fan of alliteration!

However, @jakebogen95 by George I think you got it!

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like it, but I want the Rams to draft George Kittle there are some great names for Tight Ends this year....Jake Butt, Jeremy Sprinkle, Kittle and Evan Engram if you're a fan of alliteration!

However, @jakebogen95 by George I think you got it!
Hey thank you for reading. I really love this TE class but I just love Kittle. He's my number 2 TE. I have Howard, Kittle, Engram, Everett, Njoku, Shaheen as my top 6 in that order.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
but I just love Kittle. He's my number 2 TE. I have Howard, Kittle, Engram, Everett, Njoku, Shaheen as my top 6 in that order.

Well, at Iowa they are very well coached by Kirk Ferentz, they don't always get the blue chippers in Iowa City, however, they coach the hell out of those players and his teams always plays until the whistle blows.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Well, at Iowa they are very well coached by Kirk Ferentz, they don't always get the blue chippers in Iowa City, however, they coach the hell out of those players and his teams always plays until the whistle blows.
Absolutely! And it shows! Which is why I love Donnal. It's also why C.J. Fiedoriciwcz is starting to come on in Houston.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It was great but you could have suggested or projected a Round that he'll be picked in!!(y);):D like the 5th round maybe!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
C'mon Jake? No clips of this kid blocking Ohio State guys? Michigan guys? I like his measurables. but if we draft a TE...I want a beast. Not a mere mortal.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
It was great but you could have suggested or projected a Round that he'll be picked in!!(y);):D like the 5th round maybe!
Oh I put that in the final conclusion. I think he's a late 3rd/early 4th

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
C'mon Jake? No clips of this kid blocking Ohio State guys? Michigan guys? I like his measurables. but if we draft a TE...I want a beast. Not a mere mortal.
Hey man I understand but if you can play you can play. Not worried about the level of competition especially since he was from the Big 10. It's hard to find tape on this kid too its just not out there. I had to dig some stuff up and turn them into gifs.

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
Thanks for posting this!! This is the guy for us to get. He's what Lance Kendricks was supposed to be: a TE inline blocker and receiver. If he's there 4th round, he'll be a steal. Kittle is not Jordan Reed/Evan Engram fast but, with his blocking ability and 4.52 speed and athleticism, he's the perfect TE to pair with Higbee. This guy can be used to create mismatches easily----in line, out wide, slot, H-back, where ever. Really like this player for us.
Thanks again for posting!!!

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Thanks for posting this!! This is the guy for us to get. He's what Lance Kendricks was supposed to be: a TE inline blocker and receiver. If he's there 4th round, he'll be a steal. Kittle is not Jordan Reed/Evan Engram fast but, with his blocking ability and 4.52 speed and athleticism, he's the perfect TE to pair with Higbee. This guy can be used to create mismatches easily----in line, out wide, slot, H-back, where ever. Really like this player for us.
Thanks again for posting!!!
Thank you for reading. I couldn't agree more. Because of how dominant of a blocker he is his speed will almost be deceptive when he gets to the NFL. You know how like Rhett Ellison is coveted as a solid H-Back? Well imagine if he was as athletic as Kittle. That's the other thing that stands out to me. There are plenty of Ellison's out there but I don't remember ever seeing a Kittle which is why I mixed comparisons with Dallas Clark/Chris Cooley/Charles Clay

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
Hes impressive. Good write up. He does have that Dallas Clark or Chris Cooley play style to him . Dallas Clark was a stud when healthy. This draft class has alot of good TEs. I still think Higbee will be good too. Having 2 TEs who can terrorize defenses sounds good to me (y)

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Hes impressive. Good write up. He does have that Dallas Clark or Chris Cooley play style to him . Dallas Clark was a stud when healthy. This draft class has alot of good TEs. I still think Higbee will be good too. Having 2 TEs who can terrorize defenses sounds good to me (y)
Thank you! Yes Clark absolutely was, draft class is completely loaded at TE. Higbee is going to be great IMO this is just to maximize his potential. Two TEs and maybe if Hemingway ends up being end

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Guys stay tuned...This article got me an interview with him so that will be coming before the draft. Really excited!

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Sorry i forgot to comment hanks on this.....thanks Jake....very exciting. ...great job.... ;)

Go Rams..... ;)

Ram65

Legend
Oh I put that in the final conclusion. I think he's a late 3rd/early 4th

Good job Jake. You have him as a perfect match for the Rams to pair with Higbee. Your late 3d/early 4th sounds more realistic than others hoping he drops to the 5th round. Will he last to the Rams pick in the 4th? It will be real interested to see where and when he gets drafted.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Good job Jake. You have him as a perfect match for the Rams to pair with Higbee. Your late 3d/early 4th sounds more realistic than others hoping he drops to the 5th round. Will he last to the Rams pick in the 4th? It will be real interested to see where and when he gets drafted.
I hear you man. Thank you and thanks for reading. I can't wait to talk to this guy. Kittle is such a culture changing pick. I hope we get Kittle.