Dotson and a contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
This is Dotson's moment, he will chase the money in my opinion. If he wanted back he would be back. Someone will overpay and he knows it. They will regret it. Go Rams.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He played too well unfortunately and will be gone in FA. This front office wont pay $15-20M for an IOL given how well we draft.
Problem is we haven't drafted OL well. Avila was our first real hit under this regime. Hopefully a sign of good things to come as well if we let Dotson roll out.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I'd say 80/20 he's leaving. He's gonna get a bag out there on the market. And our money will go to pass rush and corners.
Anyone can throw out an arbitrary percentage. Nothing the Rams, Dotson, or anyone else has said points to such a prognostication.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Anyone can throw out an arbitrary percentage. Nothing the Rams, Dotson, or anyone else has said points to such a prognostication.
Will depend if he is just looking for money or does it come down to him being happy to be in LA and settling in as a longterm starter there.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Okay, what kind of contract would you like the Rams to give him? What would be too rich for your blood? Now what's too rich for the Ram's blood? What was the market contract last year for a guard? What would it most likely be this year with an arguable 7% increase in salary cap? How well did Dotson play? What did Jourdan just report? What kind of Oline talent is in the draft? Of that talent, who is available to play at guard? What other teams have good cap space? Of those teams, who needs Oline help?

What do you think the chances are that they resign him?

It's not an arbitrary percentage, I gave it some thought. Something you may be avoiding. But hey, I get it, it's uncomfortable to consider losing him.

Last edited:

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Okay, what kind of contract would you like the Rams to give him? What would be too rich for your blood? What do you think the chances are that they resign him?

It's not an arbitrary percentage, I gave it some thought. Something you may want to do.
Unless you have a quantitative methodology, your 80/20 is, by definition, arbitrary. Saying you “gave it some thought” doesn’t change that.

The highest paid OG, in terms of yearly average, is Chris Lindstrom ($20.5M). Quenton Nelson is next at $20M per year. Both were first round picks with multiple successful seasons, and both were younger than Dotson when they received their deals. No other OG is currently above $19M.

Would I make him the highest paid OG? No.

Would I give him a 4 year deal worth $15-$16M per year? Yes.

Do I think the Rams and Dotson agree with me? Like you, I can only guess.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I just don’t know.

I think it’s an interesting time in the franchise… and I think presuming previous patterns will continue might be misguided.

I’ve seen a few hints.. and Snead saying they’re looking to extend Ernest Jones is another.

It’ll be expensive to keep Dotson. What I don’t know.. what kind of person is he? Is he a leader? Havenstein thinks he’s fantastic.

He could be the cornerstone for the line’s future.. in addition to kicking ass.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Unless you have a quantitative methodology, your 80/20 is, by definition, arbitrary. Saying you “gave it some thought” doesn’t change that.

The highest paid OG, in terms of yearly average, is Chris Lindstrom ($20.5M). Quenton Nelson is next at $20M per year. Both were first round picks with multiple successful seasons, and both were younger than Dotson when they received their deals. No other OG is currently above $19M.

Would I make him the highest paid OG? No.

Would I give him a 4 year deal worth $15-$16M per year? Yes.

Do I think the Rams and Dotson agree with me? Like you, I can only guess.
Atta boy. You're so close.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Time to stop dicking around with the oline. When they finally find players that can play they should do whatever is reasonable to keep them. If that includes overpaying then they have to consider that.

They missed on noteboom but every indication was that he could handle the job. They probably needed to see him do it for a full season before signing him long term.

They have already seen Dotson play well for a whole season.

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
what kind of person is he?
That’s a really good question.

Is Dotson the kind of guy who would accept a bit less (but still a fuckload of money, by anybody’s standards) to stay loyal to the team that gave him a fresh start (and he has already publicly stated how grateful he is to the Rams for that) and has a real chance of going all the way in 2024, or is he purely a mercenary who will simply go to the highest bidder?

Let’s hope that he’s the former, not the latter.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
That’s a really good question.

Is Dotson the kind of guy who would accept a bit less (but still a fuckload of money, by anybody’s standards) to stay loyal to the team that gave him a fresh start (and he has already publicly stated how grateful he is to the Rams for that) and has a real chance of going all the way in 2024, or is he purely a mercenary who will simply go to the highest bidder?

Let’s hope that he’s the former, not the latter.
That aspect is relative to me.
How much less?
Is that AAV or guaranteed cash?

That’s also not really a character issue to me.

What one person calls a mercenary is also a guy getting what he’s earned.

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
That aspect is relative to me.
How much less?
Is that AAV or guaranteed cash?

That’s also not really a character issue to me.

What one person calls a mercenary is also a guy getting what he’s earned.
However it’s structured, it’s still more money than he could ever spend. It’s not as if he’s going to be homeless if he signs with us.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
However it’s structured, it’s still more money than he could ever spend. It’s not as if he’s going to be homeless if he signs with us.
No one is saying different and that's not really relevant, is it?

My character question is whether the player is going to be the kind of guy to continue earning it. A guy who sets the example.

Aaron Donald held out.. do we question his character in any way, shape or form? No. That's the character I'm talking about.

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
My character question is whether the player is going to be the kind of guy to continue earning it. A guy who sets the example.
Everything that has come out about his character and his standing as a teammate has been positive.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Here's an article from May of 2023.

Alaric Jackson says he prefers LT but he's willing to play G if necessary.

Quote from article:

“I love playing left side, honestly,” Jackson said, via The Athletic. “Tackle is my thing, for the most part. I understand that they paid Joe, so I get that whole part. But whatever I can do for the team, I’ll do for the team.”

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Yeah wasn’t really thinking you were was more commenting on that horrible idea.

I like Dotson and want to resign him. Sportrac has him at what 6 million a year? So I don’t know how accurate they generally are with projections. Let’s face it he’s had one super year, what does that translate to I wonder?

Imagine pairing him and Avila with one of those star centers?!!? Literally bull doze fuckers! Lol

Right.
If you DO are-sign Dotson, wouldn’t it be smarter to hit his contract big in the first year?
Avila would be under rookie contract.
Jackson is getting tendered, a big pay day possibly occurring in ‘25.
Drafting either a Center or LT would also be under rookie contract.

I know it eats a lot of cap to sign one guy, but I’d much prefer to spend it on Dotson (proven in the Rams system) than overpay a FA Edge rusher who had single digit sacks. Just draft somebody. The Rams had two rookies almost hit 10 sacks. They should be better next season.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Here's an article from May of 2023.

Alaric Jackson says he prefers LT but he's willing to play G if necessary.

“I love playing left side, honestly,” Jackson said, via The Athletic. “Tackle is my thing, for the most part. I understand that they paid Joe, so I get that whole part. But whatever I can do for the team, I’ll do for the team.”

Selfish Bastard!!!

Seriously though. Last time Old-Not-Dead claimed Jackson said he would only play LT, I posted the same quote.

Maybe this time it will take ... Nah!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dotson is going to get paid what the market dictates his worth is. Its that simple.
Continuity for the Rams begins and ends with the o-line.
What made the '23 Rams successful? The o-line. Made the run game better, made Stafford better, heck even made the D better by keeping them off the field longer
Rams have been giving out top dollar contracts for years for less than elite players, Boom, Hav, Higs, etc and now they're going to draw the line on a guy who was so paramount to their success? I dont see it