Don't want to start a riot..Rams interested?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Re: Don't want to start a riot..BUT

It isn't like he can't read a defense or that he isn't seeing the field

I dont think he can to either one.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Re: Don't want to start a riot..Update Rams interested?

According to sources close to the situation with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, two teams have expressed interest and have had preliminary discussions about acquiring recently benched quarterback Josh Freeman. It remains to be seen if these discussions have advanced to talk about compensation with the Buccaneers or are still in the infant stages.

The St. Louis Rams and New York Jets are the two teams we are hearing are most interested in acquiring Freeman. Rams’ quarterback Sam Bradford has struggled a great deal over the past two games. Acquiring Freeman for a likely late-round pick would run contrary to general manager Les Snead indicating that he’s open to an extension for the former No. 1 overall pick. It’s also interesting considering that Freeman’s price tag for the remainder of the season is over $6 million. St. Louis wouldn’t be bringing him in solely to light a fire under Bradford and create competition.

As it relates to the Jets, this is a tad puzzling. Mark Sanchez is making eight figures to sit on the bench and hold a clipboard. While rookie quarterback Geno Smith has struggled a great deal, Rex Ryan and Co. don’t necessarily have the cap room or roster space to bring in a quarterback to compete for a starting job midseason.

It is likely, and this is pure conjecture, that these two teams are showing interest in case Freeman ends up getting released. While that would be a rather drastic move for a Buccaneers’ team reeling from a fourth consecutive defeat to start the season, the simple fact that they made Freeman inactive for Sunday’s loss against the Arizona Cardinals could be telling.

Let’s see what the next domino is to drop.

Either way, we are hearing that Freeman’s days in Tampa Bay are clearly numbered.

[www.profootballcentral.com]

moklerman

Warner-phile

EastRam said:

If he couldn't read a defense he'd be a turnover machine. If he couldn't see the field, he'd be forcing it to receivers instead of checking down.

He's given both Cook and Quick chances to win the fight for the ball and neither one of them has done it. He's hit Givens in the butt on a hot route because he didn't look for the ball.

It's clearly not a case of the QB just not seeing things.

moklerman

Warner-phile
My initial reaction to the hypothetical situation of the Rams giving up on Bradford(benching, trading, whatever) for Freeman is for me to just give up on them altogether.

But, I would have had similar thoughts about the Browns trading away Richardson and starting Hoyer and they're 2-0 since making those moves.

EastRam

Pro Bowler

moklerman said:
EastRam said:

If he couldn't read a defense he'd be a turnover machine. If he couldn't see the field, he'd be forcing it to receivers instead of checking down.

He's given both Cook and Quick chances to win the fight for the ball and neither one of them has done it. He's hit Givens in the butt on a hot route because he didn't look for the ball.

We see it different. IMHO he doesn't see the WR coming open because he cant read the D, hence the checkdowns. He never had to read the D in college, doubt he has learned by now. But just a guess on my part.

moklerman

Warner-phile

EastRam said:
moklerman said:
EastRam said:

We see it different. IMHO he doesn't see the WR coming open because he cant read the D, hence the checkdowns. He never had to read the D in college, doubt he has learned by now. But just a guess on my part.
It's hard to be right without mind-reading so it could be either/or. I just think his receivers and o-line have made him tentative and hesitant. He usually doesn't have time to wait for things to develop downfield and his receivers don't help him out too often to trust them.

Maybe Bradford also doesn't have what it takes but we need to see him struggle with better conditions or someone else to come in and succeed with the same conditions before knowing if he's a problem too.

iced

EastRam said:
moklerman said:
EastRam said:

i can tell you first hand that the all 22 tape does not make ANYONE look good on offense, at all positions..

receivers really aren't separating, guys are missing blocking assignments including tight ends cook (ugly) and kendricks (better than cook)..

we are seeing routes that are being rounded, broken, or the wrong one (wide open Pettis comes to mind)

a few of the sacks occured right as receivers were "trying to come out of their break" but their corners were running routes for us...

schotty's game has already been cracked,really 2 weeks into the season...i think fisher may be feeling the heat by looking for freeman

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don

fearsomefour said:
moklerman said:
fearsomefour said:
I loved Freeman when he was coming out and wanted the Rams to draft him and I still say no.

I dont buy the nonsense (in my opinion) with another QB coming shaking the starters confidence ect. They are grown adults and professionals. If their confidence is that shaky they arent going to cut it anyway. A coach should be able to switch QBs every game if he wanted and not have fragile egos come into the fray.

That said, I wouldnt want to bring in a guy who is a head/attitude case. Clearly some issues with this guy. It makes a lot more sense to me to draft a guy a groom him....hopefully with an OC who knows what he is doing.

Besides, Im sure Freeman wants to get traded somewhere to be a starter. Unless someone gets injured I dont thing he moves until the off season.
It shouldn't affect them but it always does. From Waterfield/Brocklin to Meredith/Staubach to Warner/Bulger to now. If you've got two QB's, you've got no QB's.

It shouldn't take bringing in another QB to get Bradford to be more aggressive with the ball. It isn't like he can't read a defense or that he isn't seeing the field, he just doesn't take risks. Just give him permission and that should be enough.

Oh I know it can affect them and usually does. But, this is where you get into the spoiled athlete mentality.
Spoiled Athlete is one angle however humans tend to be driven by security, athlete or not. Having had to endure sacks, pressures an hits is sure to make anyone skittish over time and Sam has been tougher than most (see Jim Everett).

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
No thanks he's had his issues on & off the field. It will be a good QB draft so go with Jimmy Garoppolo from Eastern Illinois! No, not Janeane Garofalo, Jimmy Garoppolo best QB that some don't know about.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

iced said:
EastRam said:
moklerman said:
EastRam said:

i can tell you first hand that the all 22 tape does not make ANYONE look good on offense, at all positions..

receivers really aren't separating, guys are missing blocking assignments including tight ends cook (ugly) and kendricks (better than cook)..

[hilite]we are seeing routes that are being rounded, broken, or the wrong one (wide open Pettis comes to mind)[/hilite]

a few of the sacks occured right as receivers were "trying to come out of their break" but their corners were running routes for us...

schotty's game has already been cracked,really 2 weeks into the season...i think fisher may be feeling the heat by looking for freeman
Are you stating that Pettis ran the wrong route on the play that people want to kill Sam Bradford for, or was it a different play?

…..

Legend
This character has lost the respect of his locker room, had his Team Captain assignment revoked by team voting ( really? thats unheard of!) All that combined with his lackluster play has forced his coach to sit him down.

YOU WANT THIS ON MAN OUR TEAM??????

With problems rampant here, one of which (thankfully) is NOT a shattered locker room, why are we even talking about this? :shock:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

DR RAM said:
Are you stating that Pettis ran the wrong route on the play that people want to kill Sam Bradford for, or was it a different play?

Just a guess here but I think he's saying that Pettis rounded his break off and drifted up-field on what was supposed to be a corner route when he saw it was wide open. Haven't looked at the All-22 so I don't know.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

jrry32 said:
DR RAM said:

Just a guess here but I think he's saying that Pettis rounded his break off and drifted up-field on what was supposed to be a corner route when he saw it was wide open. Haven't looked at the All-22 so I don't know.
He's supposed to be our best route runner, and I saw him botch another corner route earlier in the year, that should have been a TD. You know, some people don't, that a corner route is a timing play, and it's thrown to a spot.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

DR RAM said:
jrry32 said:
DR RAM said:

He's supposed to be our best route runner, and I saw him botch another corner route earlier in the year, that should have been a TD. You know, some people don't, that a corner route is a timing play, and it's thrown to a spot.

Yep. Most routes are treated the same way. That's what makes Manning so great. He throws to spots and knows his WRs will be there. When that isn't happening...even he's struggled. Although that's not the only thing that makes him great...don't know if I've ever seen a QB that can read the defense pre-snap like he can nor have I seen a QB that moves as quickly through their progressions as Manning...but I'll stop drooling over him now.

If your WRs aren't where they're supposed to be, your life as a QB is going to be miserable.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

jrry32 said:
DR RAM said:
jrry32 said:
DR RAM said:

Yep. Most routes are treated the same way. That's what makes Manning so great. He throws to spots and knows his WRs will be there. When that isn't happening...even he's struggled. Although that's not the only thing that makes him great...don't know if I've ever seen a QB that can read the defense pre-snap like he can nor have I seen a QB that moves as quickly through their progressions as Manning...but I'll stop drooling over him now.

If your WRs aren't where they're supposed to be, your life as a QB is going to be miserable.
I'd like to throw in one more point here, when you are rushed, or being hit, you don't have time to go through progressions, AND the timing on the pass will be off, unless you improvise, and that takes time too.

I am trying to watch Manning every chance I get this year, because he will make history this season, I think. He's brilliant. I wish we could run that offense.

iced

DR RAM said:

Yes, I am..And Fisher has already said so as well.

He said it (I both read it And heard/saw him talking about it on a post game video). He talks about being like a lay up, but he(pettis) freaks cause of the blown coverage

iced

jrry32 said:

oh yea he's amazing.. i bet he either threw hand signals or some kind of verbiage that he tells Receivers what routes to run - hard confuse something you were just told 2 secs before the snap lol

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

iced said:
DR RAM said:

Yes, I am..And Fisher has already said so as well.

He said it (I both read it And heard/saw him talking about it on a post game video). He talks about being like a lay up, but he(pettis) freaks cause of the blown coverage
I heard Fisher say it, but I'm so sick of everyone that keeps bringing that throw up as the definitive proof that Bradford sucks. It bared repeating, and I wanted to know if there was another one that I missed.

For the first time in several years, I deleted my recording, because I didn't want to watch it again. I regretted it, of course.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

iced said:
jrry32 said:

oh yea he's amazing.. i bet he either threw hand signals or some kind of verbiage that he tells Receivers what routes to run - hard confuse something you were just told 2 secs before the snap lol

Yep. I'm sure he does. I know the team I coached with, we were kind of introducing our guys to doing that sort of thing and that was at the High School level. But it was much more simplistic.