Does the NFL really care about performance enhancing drugs?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
We don't really care about HGH testing in NFL -- or we'd have it
By JASON LA CANFORA/CBS Sports NFL Insider

Who is the face of PEDs in Major League Baseball? It's a difficult question, right? I mean, where do you begin?

One could make the case for Mark McGwire or Sammy Sosa or Barry Bonds or Roger Clemens or Jose Canseco or Alex Rodriguez or Ryan Braun and we could go on and on and on from there.

Who is the face of PEDs in the NFL? It's a difficult question, right? But for very different reasons.

Someone from the Steelers' dynasty teams in the dark ages of steroid use? Shawne Merriman? Tony Mandarich? Lyle Alzado?

I mean, really who is it? Which names instantly pop into heads when the subject is broached, and more so than sadness or regret (as in the case of Alzado), the very uttering of the name invokes a particular degree of scorn? I honestly have difficultly coming up with the guy.

Why is that? Sure, household names like Shawne Merriman and Brian Cushing have served suspensions for using banned substances in the NFL, but you never heard the kind of venom -- continued, unrelenting venom -- directed at them. You don't hear the same kind of references made. You never saw fans chanting them in derision or carrying huge cutouts of syringes to games or anything like that. You don't hear the chants with regularity at games ("A-Roid! A-Roid!").

The dichotomy, at times, can be striking. And I have no shortage of thoughts as to why. This week, in particular, I believe speaks to the decidedly different fan culture within these two sports.

Cases in point: MLB and its players union just agreed to ramp up baseball's already stringent testing standards and penalties. MLB Commissioner Bud Selig essentially declared Hank Aaron and not Bonds baseball's real home run king. And Braun was derided and belittled while playing on the road in Philadelphia for his lying and cheating about what he puts in his body. Elsewhere, the NFL and its players' union just spent a considerable amount of time face-to-face to talk about the state of their game, and, from what I'm told, not a single word was spoken about the lack of HGH testing in the league.

Not a breath. I imagine, not even a thought.

So I ask again, why is that?

img24522146.jpg

The NFL and the NFLPA remain at a standstill on HGH testing. (USATSI)

First, let's take a quick look back. Going on four years ago, commissioner Roger Goodell and NFLPA leader DeMaurice Smith hammered out a new collective bargaining agreement that suspiciously omitted any specifics as to how they would implement HGH testing, though both men trumpeted the fact that this agreement would include it.

Last year the NFL and NFLPA agreed on protocols and testing levels and pretty much everything it would require to get HGH testing going as part of a new global drug policy, though they continue to be at a loggerhead over one significant issue.

If a player is found to have ties to a PED clinic -- like the baseball Biogenesis case -- or there is paperwork tying him to shipments or he is a part of a drug investigation, but he has not had a failed drug test, the NFLPA is adamant that any appeal of a penalty for those actions should be heard by a third party arbitrator who is agreed to by the league and the union (like baseball). The NFL is just as adamant that those appeals should essentially remain the domain of the league.

And here we sit.

There are no new talks on this subject planned, I'm told, no timetable for a resolution and not an iota of discussion about it at the summit between these sides this week. And, I would add, there isn't much real outside pressure to finally get this thing resolved, either, and certainly nothing close to what baseball has endured.

Remember those half-cocked Congressional hearings on football's lagging drug testing a while back? And all the follow up that was supposed to come and veiled threats of deadlines that must be met by politicians? Where did that go? We've played an entire season since then and nothing has changed at all. Still nothing on HGH testing.

Here's the underlying reality of all sports: Most big change isn't enacted until there are financial ramifications to doing do. Fears of attendance dropping or sponsors pulling out or some indication that the league is falling behind the cultural zeitgeist. Baseball faced just such a crisis in the wake of the drug aftermath of its giants, literally, being found or suspected of cheating on their quests to shatter the home run record of Roger Maris (and then later Aaron's all-time record).

All of a sudden statistical platitudes that stood for generations -- hallmarks like 50-homer seasons and 500-homer careers -- were losing their historical significance as every Tom, Dick and Harry set his sights in any given year of going from relative obscurity to massive power production, altering the scope of the game.

It was tugging at the fabric of the game and altering perceptions. Eventually, the push for change outside the game, public relations damage and the threat of fiscal repercussions combined to form a cauldron baseball could not ignore. Players were going to be punished severely and testing protocols were going to soar to new levels and that was that. Good of the game and all.

So, where is that outrage in football?

We all know guys are using. A very, very large number of guys, I'd imagine. We don't need to belabor the morality of the issue here (personally, I'm not here to judge grown men for making tough choices that could alter their generational earning potential). Suffice to say the economic disincentives to using HGH currently in no way match the potential benefit from using it at this point. That frames decision-making in any line of work (I recall a bit from Econ 101), and it certainly applies here.

And football is a far less statistical-based sport with fewer numbers that resonate as loudly as 500 homers or 3,000 hits or 300 wins, etc. It doesn't seem skewed in the same way baseball was, and guys aren't labeled culprits nearly in the way baseball players are.

The stigma just isn't the same: Football players aren't charged with altering the historical landscape of the sport. Who is football's real all-time sack king -- Deacon Jones? I mean, would anyone even consider the notion? Would anyone even think in pre-steroid testing or post-steroid terms in the NFL? (Never mind the fact there is overwhelming evidence that several of the game's all-time best clubs were chemically enhanced).

And football is at its core a gladiator sport. We want our gridiron gods bigger and faster and stronger, and there isn't a backlash if they look more like Hulk Hogan than Dick Butkus. It's actually accepted and championed. And we don't really want to know how they go there, do we?

When football players get suspended, you hear much more fan angst about how it impacts his or her fantasy football team, or the point spread, or a team's ability to win, than you hear widespread indignation at the individual act itself. Sure, the fact the quarterbacks aren't getting popped for PEDs has something to do with why football's misdeed-ers are more nameless and faceless, but I believe it goes much deeper than that.

If there was real demand from consumers, business partners and Corporate America that the NFL be as clean as humanly possible and governed by the most strident testing possible, then ain't no way there would be a three-year lag between the alleged trigger of HGH testing and the malaise we still find ourselves in regarding this topic now.

"I really think the players want testing more than the fans do," said one NFLPA official. "Both for health-and-safety reasons, and for a level playing field. I would agree, there isn't the sort of outside pressure there is in baseball. I'd agree with you: I'm not sure how much the fans really care."

Players return from PED suspensions in the NFL, and it's almost as if they never left. There is no trail of tears, no scourge upon them, no scarlet letter. Really, there are few questions asked. We don't know the hows and whys and where it came from. We get the same sort of milquetoast denials that apply to athletes in every sport -- "I wasn't aware the supplement contained banned substances" -- and then we all collectively move on (media included; the salaciousness that comes with outing a user or unearthing a drug scandal in baseball just isn't there for the old pigskin).

Occasionally names of football players might pop up in regard to some larger baseball drug scandal involving a Biogenesis-type operation, but then fades into the abyss.

And I think, by and large, we want it that way. Don't ask too much and don't expect to hear too much, either, and just keep pummeling each other every Sunday. That's how we like it, and that's how it is, and that's why I can't help but wonder if a year from now I might be able to write another column about the lack of HGH testing in the NFL.
-------------------------------
Another point of view on this topic -

If The NFL Cared About Player Safety, They’d Legalize HGH
by Matt Rudnitsky

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have no problem with PED's in any sport. These guys are entertainers meant to put on a show, if they want to destroy their bodies in the process, by all means. I understand the fallout that could cause with the youth, but thats where parenting comes in.

fearsomefour

Legend
The NFL doesn't care about PEDs....the league has to love them. Does the NFL want to go back to the not very distant past of 260lb Guards? No. So, they have a wink and nod kind of deal with PA. As a side note; the notion that a player can be fined or suspended for having "ties" to a lab or doctor or trainer is absurd.
MLB doesn't really care about PEDs either. They care about not having a bunch of ignorant politicians waxing on about apple pie and the boys of summer and then sticking their nose in MLBs business.
In baseball PEDs are used mostly for recovery, particularly with pitchers. If MLB cared about PEDs they would expand rosters and shorten the season. That won't happen as that would cost owners money.
The issue is mostly nonsense.

RamsFan14

Starter
I have no problem with PED's in any sport. These guys are entertainers meant to put on a show, if they want to destroy their bodies in the process, by all means. I understand the fallout that could cause with the youth, but thats where parenting comes in.

That's where parents come in?!?! That's it?!?! Sorry man, I think it's a big deal because a lot of kids look up to athletes these days and they shouldn't have to be looking at cheaters. Hard work should always be number 1, not trying to do something the easy way because it's easy. Life ain't easy, so I'm not going to promote my kid to cheat in any form in sports (taking roids or w/e) or IN the classroom on tests or w/e. I know no one said cheat in the classroom, but who knows maybe kids will take that approach if they think of athletes doing what they do, ya know? Athletes do entertain us, yes I agree however I personally think it makes them look MUCH better if they do it clean. Kids are inspired by these guys SO MUCH, having a clean game could make a difference. I'm against PED use 100%.

As for the NFL really caring, idk honestly (didn't read article haha)

fearsomefour

Legend
RamsFan14....
This is why I always tried to be honest with my kids. Its fine to admire what someone does but trying to emulate them is usually foolish for a variety of reasons. These guys are not heroes or saints. When a kid is old enough to aware of the larger world I don't think it should be sugar coated.
Sports, politics, business, marriages....cheaters are part of the human condition.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's where parents come in?!?! That's it?!?! Sorry man, I think it's a big deal because a lot of kids look up to athletes these days and they shouldn't have to be looking at cheaters. Hard work should always be number 1, not trying to do something the easy way because it's easy. Life ain't easy, so I'm not going to promote my kid to cheat in any form in sports (taking roids or w/e) or IN the classroom on tests or w/e. I know no one said cheat in the classroom, but who knows maybe kids will take that approach if they think of athletes doing what they do, ya know? Athletes do entertain us, yes I agree however I personally think it makes them look MUCH better if they do it clean. Kids are inspired by these guys SO MUCH, having a clean game could make a difference. I'm against PED use 100%.

I'm not suggesting they advocate the use of it more of a don't ask don't tell policy. I really believe to each his own and if doing PEDs is what someone feels like they need to do so be it. It's their body idc what they put in it.

RamsFan14

Starter
RamsFan14....
This is why I always tried to be honest with my kids. Its fine to admire what someone does but trying to emulate them is usually foolish for a variety of reasons. These guys are not heroes or saints. When a kid is old enough to aware of the larger world I don't think it should be sugar coated.
Sports, politics, business, marriages....cheaters are part of the human condition.

Hey man, I don't disagree with the "emulate them" statement lol, I def understand what you're saying. But I mean... Kids are probably gana do it anyway, ya know? That's how kids learn, that's what kids like to do... That's just how I see it with them, they're young! They are going to do stupid things cause they can!

And the sugar coating stuff, yea I get it, but I mean I think it's good for kids to get good values early on in life. There's a lot of factors that go into this and how they get good values in the first place... That discussion can get messy so I'll try not to doze off lol. I see what you're saying man, but you have to admit kids have a unique mind... They'll learn stuff you don't want them to learn. I'm just big on hard work and I think the NFL would have a great image if they encouraged the philosophy of hard work.

^NJRamsFan - Ehhh... Not bad, that's fair but... I mean if this gets out of hand, I think they are better off staying clean rather then say it's w/e. Right now people don't find it a big deal, but if this turns into an MLB type of drama, then it might be the right time to clean the game up. So fair enough... Still prefer a clean game haha.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'm not suggesting they advocate the use of it more of a don't ask don't tell policy. I really believe to each his own and if doing PEDs is what someone feels like they need to do so be it. It's their body idc what they put in it.

What if it was your son trying to get a spot on a roster and he was slamming all kinds of shit into himself to be a little stronger and faster. Would you be OK with that knowing that when he was 20 years older he was going to have serious issues? Would it be entertainment then?

I think every sport should get rid of this crap and that the punishment should be draconian. Harsh enough that it would scare players away from doing it and harsh enough to prevent team Docs and other meat heads from giving the stuff out.

This is a 10 billion dollar a year biz, there is NO room for this kind of monkey business anymore.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What if it was your son trying to get a spot on a roster and he was slamming all kinds of crap into himself to be a little stronger and faster. Would you be OK with that knowing that when he was 20 years older he was going to have serious issues? Would it be entertainment then?

I think every sport should get rid of this crap and that the punishment should be draconian. Harsh enough that it would scare players away from doing it and harsh enough to prevent team Docs and other meat heads from giving the stuff out.

This is a 10 billion dollar a year biz, there is NO room for this kind of monkey business anymore.

My child will not do that shit living under my roof. Beyond that, that is on him but it would be my hope that I educated him enough to make a smart decision.

It's an uphill battle fighting PEDs because everytime they ban something there are 3 more substances conjured up to take it's place. I think it's a little naive not to realize these performance enhancers are everywhere in mostly every sport. To me it is what it is these guys are grown men what they do to their bodies doesn't concern me in the slightest. I watch the nfl to be amazed in awe of these physical freaks doing things that don't seem humanly possible, it's entertainment. That's all I really care about

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
It's in every sport. It makes a marginal difference. But that difference is the difference between making it or not. The stakes are high for these guys.

Here's a question for you guys; would you do a cycle of steroids if it meant getting a D1 scholarship or shaving 0.1 off your forty before the NFL combine?

I've asked myself that question, but I wasn't a good enough athlete where it would have made a difference. But if I had been... I would have been tempted.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
What do you mean by marginal?

Maybe some of the St. Louis Cardinal fans here recall when Mark McGwire emitted he used Androstenedione.
At the time you could by it a GNC, so the argument was that it couldn't be an illegal steroid. I paid close attention to it and as a naive exercise fanatic tired of hitting the wall I marched up to GNC and bought some. The results were anything but marginal for me. I went from fanatic to freak. I could workout three times a day if I wanted. The gains were amazing. So was the sudden hair loss. Once that set in I stopped. I figured it was a sort of steroid all along and was apprehensive anyway. I quickly returned to my regular abilities and Andro was no longer available at GNC.

The allure for an average Joe is one thing. The allure for a would be Pro is something altogether. I wish the stuff never existed because I have a son who loves sports, especially football.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

What's a performance enhancing drug, if I may ask? Can you give me a definition?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Well, I was playing Tag with my kids and I had a headache. They were whooping my but until I took some Excedrin. Then it was like a whole new game.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
My child will not do that crap living under my roof. Beyond that, that is on him but it would be my hope that I educated him enough to make a smart decision.

It's an uphill battle fighting PEDs because everytime they ban something there are 3 more substances conjured up to take it's place. I think it's a little naive not to realize these performance enhancers are everywhere in mostly every sport. To me it is what it is these guys are grown men what they do to their bodies doesn't concern me in the slightest. I watch the nfl to be amazed in awe of these physical freaks doing things that don't seem humanly possible, it's entertainment. That's all I really care about

It is an uphill battle for sure but it can be slowed down dramatically if the punishment becomes harsher. Look what baseball just did and that was driven by the players because so many of them are sick and tired of being beaten by cheaters or seeing the big money go to others guys who are juiced up.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox

Wow! at this statement. You're certainly entitled to your opinion but I couldn't disagree more. Sports is much more than entertainment to a lot of people. It's about striving to become the best you can possibly be at something. It's about the euphoria of crowning a lifetime of blood, sweat and tears by hoisting a championship trophy at the end of a season. It's about the bond formed among men overcoming adverse circumstances together as a team.

When I was growing up and playing sports honesty, integrity and sportsmanship were at the core of learning to play any sport. You are correct that teaching those traits has to begin at home but it also has to be part of the culture of the sport itself.

I've always embraced team sports over solo endeavors because of the extra elements of teamwork and camaraderie that to me make the sports that much more meaningful. IMO, PED use has essentially cheapened baseball to the point that I no longer have any interest in what used to be my favorite sport. Users/players have taken a team sport that also relies heavily on the statistics generated by it's individual stars and tried to turn it into a me-first showcase of self-promotion and selfishness.

The shattering of records that have long been at the core of a sports mystique and history due to average Joe's amping up with drugs in pursuit of their moment of fame and millions of $$ absolutely ruined my love for the game. Maybe I'm too old-fashioned in my thinking but I'll never regard the sport in the same way again.

If an athlete wants to destroy his body that's up to him, but if he's going to destroy a sport I've followed and loved my whole life then I will turn my back on that sport and walk away saddened by the loss. I was able to overcome and maintain my passion for the game after player-strikes and lockouts but I cannot bring myself to overlook what I consider cheating to gain an edge. IMO sports leagues that tacitly encourage the use of PED's will have their day of reckoning sooner or later because I believe at heart that most of us appreciate an honest effort more than a dishonest win.

Last edited:

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow! at this statement. You're certainly entitled to your opinion but I couldn't disagree more. Sports is much more than entertainment to a lot of people. It's about striving to become the best you can possibly be at something. It's about the euphoria of crowning a lifetime of blood, sweat and tears by hoisting a championship trophy at the end of a season. It's about the bond formed among men overcoming adverse circumstances together as a team.

When I was growing up and playing sports honesty, integrity and sportsmanship were at the core of learning to play any sport. You are correct that teaching those traits has to begin at home but it also has to be part of the culture of the sport itself.

I've always embraced team sports over solo endeavors because of the extra elements of teamwork and camaraderie that to me make the sports that much more meaningful. IMO, PED use has essentially cheapened baseball to the point that I no longer have any interest in what used to be my favorite sport. Users/players have taken a team sport that also relies heavily on the statistics generated by it's individual stars and tried to turn it into a me-first showcase of self-promotion and selfishness.

The shattering of records that have long been at the core of a sports mystique and history due to average Joe's amping up with drugs in pursuit of their moment of fame and millions of $$ absolutely ruined my love for the game. Maybe I'm too old-fashioned in my thinking but I'll never regard the sport in the same way again.

If an athlete wants to destroy his body that's up to him, but if he's going to destroy a sport I've followed and loved my whole life then I will turn my back on that sport and walk away saddened by the loss. I was able to overcome and maintain my passion for the game after player-strikes and lockouts but I cannot bring myself to overlook what I consider cheating to gain an edge. IMO sports leagues that tacitly encourage the use of PED's will have their day of reckoning sooner or later because I believe at heart that most of us appreciate an honest effort more than a dishonest win.

I completely understand your thought process and can't even say I disagree. The only 2 things is like to add are

1) I do think your feelings towards baseball are a little old fashioned (meant with no offense whatsoever) and that the average fan doesn't care nearly as much about the mystique and all. Look at Yankee stadium, a lot of it (especially the expensive seats) are filled up by corporate clients who want to see the ball go 500 feet.

2) I think you're also over exaggerating the affect of PEDs. They don't make "average" joes break all time records. They obviously help a great deal and turn some fly balls to home runs but what experts say it helps more than anything is confidence. These guys are already very good at what they do.

I'm not saying it's a good thing just that it really doesn't bother me. If they didn't blow up this Major League Baseball issue with congress and all most wouldn't even be aware of it and attendance was at an all time high during the McGuire Sosa battles, or bonds going nuts ....just food for thought