Does Sean Need OC Help?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HellRam

Starter
But don't you see the variables changed since last year? We saw it multiple times this year because our Oline sucked, not because of playcalling, necessarily. McVay did go to a more TE heavy offense, which looks good, but coincidentally, the mishmash Oline was performing well, simultaneously.

I never said it had anything to do with playcalling. I do think McVay can get a little predictable at times. I just think he needs to diversify his offense more. What Shanahan has been doing is a excellent example.

As for the variables changing. Again the Rams offensive struggles started at the end of last year. It just got worse this year with a weaker oline this season.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
He needs someone to be a sounding board for him and I don't just mean a yes man.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can Sean use another voice? Sure. Does Sean need OC help? No.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I believe we have developed some major tells on our running plays. I’m just now watching the Cardinal game, and they absolutely KNEW when we were running jumping their safeties into run blitzes...this has happened all year. A guy like McVay should feast on those defensive gambles, but we just didn’t often enough. We need some help to add some more disguise to our running game. Jmho

HellRam

Starter
I believe we have developed some major tells on our running plays. I’m just now watching the Cardinal game, and they absolutely KNEW when we were running jumping their safeties into run blitzes...this has happened all year. A guy like McVay should feast on those defensive gambles, but we just didn’t often enough. We need some help to add some more disguise to our running game. Jmho

That's been a big problem this year. It's a lot harder to execute when the D knows what's coming. Which is why I don't soley put the blame on the oline.

dang

Legend
If it would help with consistency, adjustments and a boost to a pathetic run game - then YES.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fix the oline and let him keep a QB coach/assistant for more than a season and we're fine. Every year he's had to bring somebody else up to speed, his speed and his plan, and that diverts his focus.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock

On the broadcast, it was mentioned that AZ blitzed 40% of the time and they were 1st in the league.

That’s their defense.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Personally I think everyone is blaming the oline too much. Obviously it's not a very good unit. However it seems everyone has already forgotten how we fisnished last year with a above average oline. The Rams were still stumped by the Lions, Bears, Eagles and Patriots in the big game.

This offense has more issues then just the line in my opinion. I would have no problem with the Rams bringing someone in.
Last year when we lost Kupp and Gurley, right? I'm not going to belittle you by sarcastically suggesting that you don't know who those guys are.

So last year we lost 2 of the 4 key cog skill position players (of Gurley, Kupp, Woods, and Goff). This year the offensive line was pure bootyjuice.

Seems like a 6 of one, half a dozen of another comparison to me.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We apparently didn’t do a good job of running against blitzing teams, but we certainly made them pay with Higs..that was a good wrinkle by Sean to counter all the 6 man fronts. I get that the cards blitzed 40% of the time but it seemed that it was too often when we were running right into it. Do we have tells, or were they lucky to run gap with their safeties when we were running right into it.

HellRam

Starter
Last year when we lost Kupp and Gurley, right? I'm not going to belittle you by sarcastically suggesting that you don't know who those guys are.

So last year we lost 2 of the 4 key cog skill position players (of Gurley, Kupp, Woods, and Goff). This year the offensive line was pure bootyjuice.

Seems like a 6 of one, half a dozen of another comparison to me.

Anderson was just as effective when it came to running the ball behind last year's oline. His YPC was actually much better. Kupp was a big loss...sure. That still doesn't excuse a 3 point performance in the big game in my opinion.

Doesn't change the fact defenses caught up to what McVay was doing.

In Goff's words not mine, here's a quote-

“I think that’s the biggest thing we can take away, is that we were so specific the last two seasons and then this year, we had to find different ways to win. Teams figured some stuff out where we had to adjust,”

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Oline is definitely the weakest unit. No debate there. But last year oline was borderline a top 5 unit for the season. Good defenses have found a way to slow down if not completely shut down the Rams offense. We saw it multiple times this year( 49ers, Steelers, Cowboys). I'd be surprised if the Rams stand pat on offense in regards to offensive coaching. They were rumored to hire Kingsbuy in the past. I think McVay knows he needs to step up it a notch.

By the 2nd half of last season, our O-line was already a problem.
Whit and Sully were out of gas and much less effective in the run game, Havenstein couldn't even slow down a speed rusher off the edge. Blythe was blegh and Saffold was solid.

Last year I posted about the O-line, my concerns with how it was going to play out. Now the unpleasant scenario nobody wanted to really consider last year is the main reason the Rams missed the playoffs this year.

I am wrong about lots of things, but I could see our line was a house of cards and athletic tape and we would be relying on old guys beating father time and/or inexperienced guys playing like seasoned vets. It was going to be a tall order.

HellRam

Starter
By the 2nd half of last season, our O-line was already a problem.
Whit and Sully were out of gas and much less effective in the run game, Havenstein couldn't even slow down a speed rusher off the edge. Blythe was blegh and Saffold was solid.

Last year I posted about the O-line, my concerns with how it was going to play out. Now the unpleasant scenario nobody wanted to really consider last year is the main reason the Rams missed the playoffs this year.

I am wrong about lots of things, but I could see our line was a house of cards and athletic tape and we would be relying on old guys beating father time and/or inexperienced guys playing like seasoned vets. It was going to be a tall order.

Obviously a few don't agree here. But I mean the oline was good enough for Anderson to average 7.0 YPC last season was it not? The Rams also rushed for well over 200 yards against Dallas in the divisional round. Were they the best unit in the NFL? No. But realistically you can't expect to have the best unit every season. If last year's oline wasn't adequate enough then we got problems going foward. Just my take.

As for this season. There is no debate. They're not good.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Obviously a few don't agree here. But I mean the oline was good enough for Anderson to average 7.0 YPC last season was it not? The Rams also rushed for well over 200 yards against Dallas in the divisional round. Were they the best unit in the NFL? No. But realistically you can't expect to have the best unit every season. If last year's oline wasn't adequate enough then we got problems going foward. Just my take.

As for this season. There is no debate. They're not good.

Yes, a fresh CJ combined with the tells on the Dallas D line created a great day on the ground, but it was an anomaly in the 2nd half of '18.
In 2017 and some of 18, we had a dominant line.
Their health helped them keep their reputation long after they had started falling back to Earth.

Nobody agreed when I first became concerned about it either. I was told our young guys would step in, that Kromer would have them ready, trust McSnead.

In fact, getting out of this season with a winning record was kind of a testament to how good this team is because even without any push in the run game, we still managed to have production on Offense.

I expect next season we will have a better line and improved schemes.