Does anyone feel sorry for Sam Bradford? QB needs to quit whining

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
he's the same guy.

the rams tried to make him take a pay cut so they could trade him to whoever gave the highest price. his agent has seen all the tricks and said no thank you.

the eagles trade up to #2 and want to trade him. his agent is trying to bring his trade value down so he'll be in the broncos price range.

this is why players have agents. so they can take care of this part of the business.

We don't know that. From what I remember, a huge reason for the Foles trade was to improve cap space. If Sam was willing to help them some in that area, that kinda negates a big reason for the trade. We have no way of knowing if that was the plan and it's just your assumption.

And don't blame it all on the agent. That's just a convenient out. The agent is Sam's employee. Reports state that Sam is the one who's angry, not the agent.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
for those that saying stay and fight for your place create a market for yourself ...I dunno so much about that whats to stop the eagle stating wentz/goff no battle and a lot of teams will be saying cant even beat out a rookie ,,,,sams done

right now he has value there are still QB needy teams ...and some don't have a shot at one in the draft or at least one that's "better" than sam right now

that argument sounded better in my head and its early and Ive only had one coffee so feel free to pull it apart ;)

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We don't know that. From what I remember, a huge reason for the Foles trade was to improve cap space. If Sam was willing to help them some in that area, that kinda negates a big reason for the trade. We have no way of knowing if that was the plan and it's just your assumption.

And don't blame it all on the agent. That's just a convenient out. The agent is Sam's employee. Reports state that Sam is the one who's angry, not the agent.

I'm sorry man, there's no way Fisher or snead were gonna let Sam's knee hold the Rams hostage again. We didn't know it at the time but they made it clear after the trade. Sams agent suspected it as well because he's been there many times so he said no way to a pay cut.

And the agents know better than players. It, the request to be traded, only came out because his agent would have advised for it to come out.

Last edited:

lockdnram21

Legend
His "weapons" let him down. I think during the Saturday game against Dallas it was said his team had the 3rd most drops.

And DeMarco Murray gets put in the absolute worst scheme? Imagine if Todd Gurley was put in the wrong scheme.

I can understand not trusting him b/c of his injury history, but to blame on-field problems on him is ridiculous.
Its a little of both him and weapons but there all you'd g and better then what we have

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
for those that saying stay and fight for your place create a market for yourself ...I dunno so much about that whats to stop the eagle stating wentz/goff no battle and a lot of teams will be saying cant even beat out a rookie ,,,,sams done

right now he has value there are still QB needy teams ...and some don't have a shot at one in the draft or at least one that's "better" than sam right now

that argument sounded better in my head and its early and Ive only had one coffee so feel free to pull it apart ;)

The classic argument for all the numbskulls that kept trying to say kurt was done. Knuckleheads the lot of them.

lockdnram21

Legend
I think this was orchestrated by the Philly FO to get something in return for trading Bradford from the moment they signed him to a 2 year prove it deal. He was never intended to be their long term starter.

It's also better for Bradford, a vet, to go to a vet team like Denver. He doesn't want to have to rebuild Philly. And Philly is a rebuild project.
U calling him a vet like he's proved something. His play hasn't warranted him to be choicy like he is

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The classic argument for all the numbskulls that kept trying to say kurt was done. Knuckleheads the lot of them.

Still one coffee in. Not sure if you're agreeing with me or not ;) .... You can wait for the like

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I like Sam but he seems to be lacking some self awareness. Fact is that his NFL career so far is defined by mediocrity (not completely his fault) and injury (again, not his fault but also can't be mitigated against by improving the team around him in the same way that the mediocrity can).

He then finds himself in this situation in Philly where he has just signed a contract that is very very generous bearing in mind the above. He's told he's the starter. Then Philly trade up to #2 to take what everyone assumes is Carson Wentz.

I get it. Its a kick in the balls. But he's still being told he's the starter. Where's his competitive fire? His belief in himself? He needs to understand that he isn't untouchable and teams have a right to draft a long term replacement for the single most important position in all of sports. Its the intelligent thing to do.

His response kind of reminds me of Zac Stacy when, firstly, we drafted Mason and then Gurley (not an ideal comparison, just some similarities). No desire to compete when, worst case scenario, he could show the rest of the league that he has a great attitude and put himself in the shop window for a future deal when Wentz is confirmed as the long term starter.

I think he's overreacted and not taken the time to think this through. He'll either apologise and backtrack or live to regret it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
In all of this the Eagles are the users and considers. When Sam signed with them he thought he was the starter. If they told him then that they were drafting a rookie QB second overall, then I am sure he wouldn't have signed that two year contract. NFL careers don't last long. Sam probably thinks he needs to be in a better situation where a team sees him as a long term option. If he is going to land one more big contract it won't be by being Wentz's placeholder.

I would bet that if Sam knew how things were going to play out that he would have not signed that two year deal. The Broncos and Jets need QBs and would consider him. Kelly may have tried to get him to San Francisco.

But I wonder if Sam will ever be considered the franchise anywhere. He would have to be in a situation like Kurt was in Arizona, except he's no Kurt.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
His "weapons" let him down. I think during the Saturday game against Dallas it was said his team had the 3rd most drops.

And DeMarco Murray gets put in the absolute worst scheme? Imagine if Todd Gurley was put in the wrong scheme.

I can understand not trusting him b/c of his injury history, but to blame on-field problems on him is ridiculous.

Dropped passes seem to follow Bradford.

Bradford has always been part of the problem.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
As if he wasn't already viewed as a soft player... this only adds to that.

I'm happy he's no longer our problem.

RAMBUSH

Starter
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...-sam-bradford-eagles-qb-needs-to-quit-whining

Does anyone feel sorry for Sam Bradford? QB needs to quit whining
April 25, 2016 4:19 pm ET

Boy, Sam Bradford's got it tough. If only this kid could catch a break.

You have to really feel for him, suddenly desperate for a trade but having virtually no trade value even before he starting whining and crying about leaving Philadelphia. I mean, there was scant interest in him as an impending free agent, and somehow he found it in his heart to accept $22 million guaranteed from the Eagles with unrestricted free agency just days away. And now those heartless bastards in Philly have the indignity to trade up for the right to select, say, a quarterback project out of North Dakota State who may or may not be ready to start in 2017.

Of course, Eagles GM Howie Roseman also publicly declared Bradford as their Week 1 starter for this season. But how could they try to look after the long-term future of their franchise at the same time Big Game Bradford is already atop the depth chart? The temerity of it all! Aw, life isn't fair!

I'd throw a temper tantrum too, Sam.

I mean, how can Bradford not be irate when he, of his own volition, just two months ago, opted not to further test the free agent waters and signed a deal that will pay him $18 million this season and possibly $36 million over two years? I mean, sure, this new guaranteed money will bring his career earnings to a cool $100 million since being the first-overall pick in 2010, but a dollar doesn't go as far as it used it. And, yeah, of all quarterbacks to enter the league since 2010, only Matthew Stafford has made more coin, and despite never sniffing the playoffs in his life, and having a lifetime mark of 25-37-1. Yet after getting hurt yet again last season, Philadelphia was still willing to make him the eighth-highest compensated quarterback in the NFL for 2016. But I totally understand why he and agent Tom Condon would be all up in their feelings and angry over such inhospitable treatment.

Boo-(bleeping)-hoo.

SBradford--640.jpg

Bradford will make $18 million this season in Philly. (USATSI)
Let's get a few things straight: If there was anything approximating a market for Bradford it was Condon's job to find it prior to the start of free agency. Newsflash -- no one was clamoring for him then, outside of Philadelphia, and no one is now.

If Denver or the Jets or Sam's buddy Chip Kelly out in San Francisco or whomever else (um, the Rams?) wanted Bradford, then Condon could have cashed in the huge money being thrown at marginal quarterbacks back in March. It was his job to gauge the market, and he and Bradford knew exactly what type of contract they were signing and what bargain they were making.

And they did indeed cash in. Back in Philadelphia. Where he would still be the starter, same as it always was. And, having just given Bradford an $11 million signing bonus, the Eagles would have to be even bigger fools trying to trade Bradford now than they were for signing him in the first place. Good luck dealing him even if they wanted to, because who is taking on Bradford now, especially now that he's wearing the malcontent crown?

Roseman already pulled off miracles in getting anything for Byron Maxwell and DeMarco Murray and their horrible contracts. Bradford's boondoggle of a deal makes those two look like relative bargains.

The Jets don't want him. And, being owed at least $11M million over the next two years, I'd be surprised if Denver wanted him. And who would give up anything of value for him? Especially at a time when droves of young, cheap quarterbacks are about to be selected in the draft in a few days.

Cheap labor is a coming, and unproductive. Often-hurt labor is not en vogue, even at the quarterback position. Because if it was, trust me, Bradford and Condon would have taken the more money wherever they could get it. This is business, folks, and that's why they ended up back in Philadelphia in the first place. Condon's agency represents Brock Osweiler and Ryan Fitzpatrick as well -- you don't think they had unique insight into the free agent quarterback class?

Please. Spare me.

It's beyond ludicrous to be asking for a trade now (takes some audacity from Condon after just willingly and eagerly agreeing to this deal not even two months ago), and this is a mess for all involved. Condon's reputation is above these kind of tactics, and one thing Bradford did always having going for him prior to all of this was an unimpeachable character and easy-to-root for persona.

“I can't believe Condon is actually doing this,” said one high-ranking team official. “I don't understand it at all. This is not the way he operates. Bradford needs to keep his mouth shut with all of the money he is being paid. It's not like he signed a long-term deal. At most it's a two-year deal. Come on, what were his expectations when he signed? He needs to shut up and show up and show he can play and try to set himself to get paid again somewhere else. He's going to skip mini-camp? Really? No one is going to come out of this looking good, now. Not them or the Eagles. The only way he can create a market for himself is by playing and playing well. Not by asking for a trade.”

The Eagles always should have transitioned Bradford, let him see what was or wasn't out there, and gone from there. This is not rehashing the past. This was my well-established stance back then. And, as I said back then, if after two weeks on the transition tag he didn't have any real money on the table, I would have yanked the offer, put two years, $15 million on the table and said take it or leave it. Instead, the Eagles rewarded him (for what, I'm really not sure) well beyond his worth, they made it clear that signing Bradford and Chase Daniel did not take them out of the quarterback market in the draft, and they also made it clear it was Bradford's job even after making the trade.

Only, he's never had to fight for a job in his professional life, and even now, faced with the most middling of competition, he wants to take his ball and go home. He basically signed a huge one-year deal, and the Eagles are going to draft a kid they don't even expect to play anytime soon in Carson Wentz, and still this has Bradford and Condon all in a tizzy? Weaksauce.

SBradford2--640.jpg

Bradford might be better off playing well and keep his mouth shut.. (USATSI)
Lest you have forgotten Bradford's body of work in the NFL, let me refresh your memory.

The quarterback-deficient Rams, of all teams, decided to cut losses and finally peddle him on, after drafting him first-overall and paying him over $60 million (to the point where their desperation for a QB led them to now mortgage the future to move up from No. 15 to 1 for a far-from-sure-thing college kid, Jared Goff). They felt like Nick Foles -- Nick freakin' Foles -- was less of a gamble at quarterback than Bradford. Oh, and Bradford has appeared in 21 of his team's last 48 regular season games.

As a further review, here is part of what I wrote back in early March, after the Eagles stuffed his pockets full of millions again:

“To give Bradford a 33 percent raise over his $13.5 million salary in 2015 (the final year of his bonus-baby rookie contract from the old CBA) in a year in which the team fell well below expectations and in which he ranked 26th in rating, 25th in yards per attempt and threw 19 touchdowns to 14 interceptions and tied for the fourth-most turnovers in the NFL is somewhat staggering to me. And many would argue this was Bradford's best NFL season. It is not an anomaly. Not like it was some down year. Since Bradford entered the league in 2010 as the first overall pick, here are his ranks among all NFL quarterbacks:

• 25th in completion percentage (60.1, about the same as Foles)
  • 20th in yards (14,790)
  • 36th in yards per attempt (6.45, right there with Matt Cassel and Mark Sanchez and Brandon Weeden)
  • 21st in touchdowns (78)
  • 35th in touchdown percentage (3.4, just above Christian Ponder)
  • 18th in interceptions (52)
  • 11th in interception percentage (2.3, so he is almost top 10 in something)
  • 30th in quarterback rating (81.0, just behind Brian Hoyer and just ahead of Josh Freeman)"
How's this for gratitude? Buyer's remorse on a free-agent contract that was just negotiated. And now Sam and Tom want a do-over, only with the same bloated contract, that some other fool-hearty team would apparently be willing to absorb. If they want a trade, go ahead and give back a big chunk of that signing bonus to the Eagles and be willing to take an incentive-laden contract. Let's see that.

Because the reality is, even with Wentz on the roster, this is still one of the weakest starting quarterbacking situations in the NFL for 2016. Sure, maybe it's not as gift-wrapped as getting to battle it out with Mark Sanchez again might be (only this time in Denver), and yeah, I'm sure he'd prefer to take his chances against Geno Smith in New York. But even poor Sam Bradford it seems can't have everything he wants, whenever he wants it.

What a pity.
Sam the Ram. I wish him luck, he had some bad luck with the knee injuries for sure. He worked hard to come back and was a good teammate from what I understand. He never had much time in the pocket or many wide open receivers running free , I still think he can play at above average level.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I actually think this piece is spot on. The NFL is usually split into two different types of players/personalities: the "team/winning guy" and the "money guy". You can understand both of these personalities...

Sam seems to be in neither category....but is closer to the "money guy". Fans are predisposed to dislike this type of player...and fans rarely side with any player that demands a trade.

Given that...it's crazy that some people are defending him. It's all about how much you like a person/player, versus what their actions are.

Take Janoris Jenkins...he left and went to the Giants...Bradford was traded, but by not taking a pay cut he put us in position where we had to trade him...he forced our hand. By Jenkins not settling for less, he forced our hand as well. Similar situations...now imagine news came out that the Giants were taking a CB and Jenkins demanded to be traded.......

He would be getting BLASTED on here....and it's virtually the same thing. There's no guarantee that Wentz will be good. It comes off as whiny...trying to run because of some competition. A two year contract isn't an endorsement for the future anyway....so why sign the damn contract in the first place? Did a two year contract make you think they were committed? Makes zero sense.