Do you have an accent?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I've always been one to say that I don't have an accent but @rdlkgliders has more than once called me out on speaking a little different lol. So, I've started paying attention. And I've noticed that I may some some words that go against my initial belief that I don't have an accent. I say y'all, yous, ain't and the worst that I've noticed when I say Oil, I say "oh-ell". Got me thinking. What about you?

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Yes Sir

Full on Spicoli meets Hud
This is by way 25 years in So Cal and the other 15 in Austin

But still way more Spicoli

image.jpg
image.jpg

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
Different regions have different accents so I probably do (Midwest). I just can't think of any differences except for saying pop instead of saying soda or coke. Even then, that really isn't considered an accent is it?

Athos

Legend
Absolutely none. Mid-Western bland.

I will, however, somewhat pick up accents like a sponge if I'm talking to a particular group of people with accents for a decent amount of time. None stick though.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
Even though I was born & raised in Texas, I don't have a southern accent at all. The only way you'd be able to tell is when I say something like, "I'm fixin' to go to the store."

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
For me, it depends on who I'm speaking to.

Going up in Hawaii... I spoke pure pigeon English. If you've ever watched Dog the Bounty Hunter, you'll hear the locals speaking pigeon. Dog and his wife sound like pure Haoles trying to speak it though.

Came back home and was able to speak properly within a short time... although when I am really talking fast I'll still mix in a Hawaiian word here or there. Weird how they come out without thinking.

Spending lots of time over in the Bahamas... I have developed a strong Bahamian accent that I will turn on over there. It's makes communicating much easier. I also feel like their "accent" is truly a friendlier way to speak to others. Because of this, I do speak with a little of it all the time now.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
My parents and I moved from Germany to San Diego, CA in 1960 when I was 9. We arrived on a Friday and I was in school on Monday morning. The problem was that I could neither speak nor understand a word of English.

This was 15 years after WWII and the last thing you wanted to be associated with was being German or Japanese, so I worked hard to learn the language and lose the accent so I could blend in. Neither of my parents lost their accents but I did.

Now, living in western Maryland real close to West Virginia, I'm aware of that type of accent and studiously avoid dropping the "g's" off of the end of words. It's "fixing" not "fixin'." It's "going" not "goin'." So no, I have no accent that I'm aware of unless gibberish counts as an accent. :sneaky:

Athos

Legend
My parents and I moved from Germany to San Diego, CA in 1960 when I was 9. We arrived on a Friday and I was in school on Monday morning. The problem was that I could neither speak nor understand a word of English.

This was 15 years after WWII and the last thing you wanted to be associated with was being German or Japanese, so I worked hard to learn the language and lose the accent so I could blend in. Neither of my parents lost their accents but I did.

Now, living in western Maryland real close to West Virginia, I'm aware of that type of accent and studiously avoid dropping the "g's" off of the end of words. It's "fixing" not "fixin'." It's "going" not "goin'." So no, I have no accent that I'm aware of unless gibberish counts as an accent. :sneaky:

Ahhhh!

Was machst due heute?

Du bist ein hund?

Sprechen sie Deutsch?

lmao.

Man, I can only remember German in bits and pieces, mainly really weird shit.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Was machst due heute?

What are you doing today?

Du bist ein hund?

You are a dog.

Sprechen sie Deutsch?

Do you speak German?

Of course anyone nowadays can google and get a translation but only us real Krauts can understand without looking it up. My older brother still lives in Regensburg, Germany where I was born which is located in the southeast. He's a soccer fanatic.

Athos

Legend
Do you speak German?

Of course anyone nowadays can google and get a translation but only us real Krauts can understand without looking it up. My older brother still lives in Regensburg, Germany where I was born which is located in the southeast. He's a soccer fanatic.

Four years in HS. Mainly just remember the anatomy song for kids, counting really high, and random phrases and words. German was my shit back then. Really easy, for me anyway, to pick up, with somewhat simple grammatical structure.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
My girlfriend from Portland, Oregon swears that I have a touch of a southern accent. I was born and raised just north of Alton, Illinois (which is technically metro-east St Louis.)

bluecoconuts

Legend
Irish, obviously.

I perfected my American accent while in basic training for the Army, I usually stick with it while I'm working, but every so often I'll speak normally and throw people off.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Part southern Missouri hick, part St. Louis city slicker. I drop g's, I say "gonna," and everyone who has heard my voice probably doesn't think that I'm anything close to a writer. :p

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Never thought I did, then went on holiday in America and got told everywhere I went "I love your accent" so I must do but it describe it as "plain English"

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I didn't have an accent until I moved to Kentucky... I no longer have an accent.