Do we have unrealistic expectations for Fisher?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Lesson

Oh, really?
First, I think that up until this season, Fisher has had a valid excuse - so to me, it's not fair to throw his record as the coach out there and blast him for it. His first year was his first year...we all know what he inherited. Then his 2nd and 3rd years were littered with backup QB play. We all saw the improvement, but it wasn't reflected in the W/L column, and as losing your starting QB is a deathblow to every NFL team, it's not something Fisher can really be held accountable for. He wasn't even the one that brought said QB to the Rams.

I'm willing to give him an excuse for the first year.

BUT the last 2 were in large part due to decisions he made.

He tied himself to Bradford and had Clemens as the backup in 2013.

Then, after Bradford goes down(again), he has an above avg. backup in Hill but still only drafted a project in Gilbert in the 6th round. I'm not willing to really give him an excuse for 2013 and 2014 as he made the decision to have Bradford as his QB with no better options behind him(and yes, I realize most teams would do poorly with their backups starting at QB, but to not properly address that position after having a QB tear his ACL the previous season is maddening).

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Then, after Bradford goes down(again), he has an above avg. backup in Hill but still only drafted a project in Gilbert in the 6th round. I'm not willing to really give him an excuse for 2013 and 2014 as he made the decision to have Bradford as his QB with no better options behind him(and yes, I realize most teams would do poorly with their backups starting at QB, but to not properly address that position after having a QB tear his ACL the previous season is maddening).
Don't forget how he went about addressing the Oline.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
It is not unrealistic for us to expect Fisher to have this team with a winning record this year with a playoff birth.

It is unrealistic to expect the Rams will be a perennial playoff contender under Fisher. He has never in his 20 year career had his teams be that.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron

To be fair to Fisher, it's hard to say he should have known better in 2013 without hindsight, Bradford never had injury problems with his knee before. There was really no expecting that, so to be caught off guard by that isn't exactly mind boggling.

But in '14 was completely his fault, he knew that he was coming back from a major injury and rushed him back, and then didn't even get proper backups before rushing him back.

Lesson

Oh, really?
To be fair to Fisher, it's hard to say he should have known better in 2013 without hindsight, Bradford never had injury problems with his knee before. There was really no expecting that, so to be caught off guard by that isn't exactly mind boggling.

But in '14 was completely his fault, he knew that he was coming back from a major injury and rushed him back, and then didn't even get proper backups before rushing him back.
I fault him for not being prepared for the worst case scenario. Look at the Colts after Manning missed the entire season. They had no Plan B.

Don't forget how he went about addressing the Oline.

I don't fault him for that. He tried building the OL through FA(inherited 2 starters and was starting 1 street FA) and it failed.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
There are 32 nfl teams. Not all of them have starting caliber QBs.

So expecting fisher to find a quality starter as a backup is ludicrous. Clemens and Hill are what they are. Backup QBs able to come in and be competent with the football and manage the game.

Our roster was still in rebuild and we didn't have the talent to win despite our need to start backup QBs the last 2 years.

This roster is night and day compared to 2006-2012. I give credit to Fisher for building this organization to respectability. (Remember he hired Snead) lets stay the course.

Our young players are still making mistakes and when it all starts clicking I'm willing to bet Fish will have us in the playoffs for many years contending for championships.

KNUCKLEHEAD

I won't say it unless you don't.
Built in excuses and all else considered... I don't think it's unrealistic to expect a winning record. especially four years in. Other teams have and, are doing it. It's time.

fancents86

Starter
I've been following Miami's new coach and I really dig his perspective on coaching. He coaches a team that embodies what Fisher wants in a team, except Campbell takes that toughness and implements it on the practice field and in the locker room as well. That's the biggest knock I think fisher has.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Give Fisher Jared Goff....and watch a dynasty begin....Just a QB away....Seriously...Any more crazy games, I'd give Mannion a look to see if he's really an NFL backup...Grab a franchise QB....It did wonders for Bill Belichick & Pete Carroll

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I get where you're comin from 43. But this schedule was effin brutal to date man, and they're 2-3 and in striking range of taking this division.

Let's wait and see how things play out. I view the Browns as a must win game for him, I mean if he can't win this one against them at home and I'm the owner I fire him and put Greg Williams in charge. But that's just me. Kroenke is more patient, and that's a good thing, because even IF things don't work out the Rams are suddenly a very, very desirable coaching location for a top coach. Consider...

Stocked talent on both sides of the ball. Scouting department that has demonstrated excellent track record under Snead. Very good young GM in Les as well. One of the best cap guys in the league in Demoff. Patient owner who is going to let your program do its thing in Kroenke.

Yeah. Rams are a dream job now brother. So whether or not Fish works out good times are ahead. And for the record I'm praying Fish works out because I love the guy. Love his style, the way he handles things, but the bottom line is wins so here's hoping they're coming.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame

Exactly Right....

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
That damn "e" word is littered all over this thread. It's so annoying.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm a pretty big Fisher fan, and ironically wasn't in favor of his hire. I am a little bit on the fence on this.
I totally disagree with those who, while acknowledging it, totally downplay the dumpster fire he inherited,
as well as the "look at this guy, and look at that guy" comparison - first of all, season ain't over yet, and second, there are simply WAY too many variables involved.

That said, I would like him to get his five years, but if he doesn't come up with at least 9 wins this year, would agree that replacing him would be justified.
(If and when) whoever replaces him is going to walk into a pretty good situation.

Amen. It's time for a winning season but I too am tired of the "look at this guy" comments. Different coaches in different situations playing different schedules.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So.... I've read quite a few times that Fisher is the kind of coach that can pull a program out of the dumpster... but not necessarily the guy to get you over the hump.

If that is true, are we wasting time waiting for something that - to quite a few Rams fans - will never come? (taking the team to the next level)

fearsomefour

Legend
Any team can be turned around in 4 years . The Pats , Steelers , pack , and other teams are competitive every year . Enough said .
Just do it
Those teams have something that the Rams lacked for years and years....good ownership and a set FO. Hopefully, that has been resolved. Setting a FO with a clear vision for what the team is, how it plays (4/3 or 3/4 for example) a clear vision for the players to execute that play and consistent coaching is key. Almost all bad teams have pretty consistent turn over, the teams you listed above don't. Hall of Fame QBs help as well.
The Steelers know the kind of guys they draft to execute their D. They find OLBs (the experts often declaring these picks reaches) and they often work out well.

fearsomefour

Legend
Get back to me on this in about 5 games.

(maybe after Sunday).
Exactly.
The D is in good shape despite some injuries, the O should be improving. The team has survived a brutal opening stretch of the schedule with a respectable 2-3 record. The schedule lines up favorably.
We will see how the Rams play the next several weeks....can the team be consistent? Can they put together back to back wins? Can they compete for a playoff spot?
The next 5 or 6 weeks will probably determine my ultimate opinion of Fisher.

Schmitzer

UDFA
I'm not a Fisher fan, but I would rate him a C so far

What he inherited was historically bad. Couldn't tackle, couldn't run the ball, o-line and d-line not performing, but having some talent. Absolutely horrible on special teams (remember how bad this was?). We would discuss the draft after being blown out in week 1.

What has he done well -
  • D-line
  • Special Teams
  • Compete and win against elite teams
  • Running game
What he has done poorly -
  • O-line
  • Poor judgement of QB talent (Bradford was his man, Hill the backup HE selected, didn't draft replacement early enough)
  • Penalties - worse than he inherited, (except maybe false starts)
  • No #1 receiver, in spite of some high draft picks and numerous great receivers coming out in recent years.
The roster IS better, but how could it not be? We can't judge by that.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Question for those advocating continued (apparently endless) patience with Fisher's 5 year rebuild...

Had we won the Redskin and Steeler games, we would be in first place in our division with tiebreaker advantages to boot.

I think most unbiased fans would say that those were both very winnable games.

We would now be sitting on a 4-1 record with some softer games to come. A record similar to those of Arians, Bowles, and Quinn, for example.

See my point? We are still losing winnable games and it's killing us. Games that some bright new top drawer HC's are winning.

Why can't we have that, too?