Do we have unrealistic expectations for Fisher?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not a Fisher fan, but I would rate him a C so far

What he inherited was historically bad. Couldn't tackle, couldn't run the ball, o-line and d-line not performing, but having some talent. Absolutely horrible on special teams (remember how bad this was?). We would discuss the draft after being blown out in week 1.

What has he done well -
  • D-line
  • Special Teams
  • Compete and win against elite teams
  • Running game
What he has done poorly -
  • O-line
  • Poor judgement of QB talent (Bradford was his man, Hill the backup HE selected, didn't draft replacement early enough)
  • Penalties - worse than he inherited, (except maybe false starts)
  • No #1 receiver, in spite of some high draft picks and numerous great receivers coming out in recent years.
The roster IS better, but how could it not be? We can't judge by that.
You forgot....
* Losing to inferior opponents too often

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Question for those advocating continued (apparently endless) patience with Fisher's 5 year rebuild...

Had we won the Redskin and Steeler games, we would be in first place in our division with tiebreaker advantages to boot.

I think most unbiased fans would say that those were both very winnable games.

We would now be sitting on a 4-1 record with some softer games to come. A record similar to those of Arians, Bowles, and Quinn, for example.

See my point? We are still losing winnable games and it's killing us. Games that some bright new top drawer HC's are winning.

Why can't we have that, too?

We all deal with this kind of thing in different ways. This is how I do it:

Imagine we had played the Saints, @Bears, 49ers, Cardinals, @Lions, @Steelers in our first six games - what do you think our record would be?

Then imagine we had played the Browns, @Colts, Eagles, @Dolphins (London), Redskins - what do you think our record would be?

Allowing for a let down, I believe in scenario one we would be 4-2, and in scenario 2 we would be 4-1

So I think we would have the same records as those teams...does that make Fisher a better or worse coach? No...just means they played a MUCH easier schedule than we did.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
I like Fisher, but he plays run first in a league skewed to passing. Generally the games are close, but if the Rams get behind, it is hard to catch up running the ball.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Any team can be turned around in 4 years . The Pats , Steelers , pack , and other teams are competitive every year . Enough said .
Just do it
Hilarious you mention 3 teams with a top 10 qb and are always stable at qb to prove your point

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
The results are what I expected but not what I wanted.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hilarious you mention 3 teams with a top 10 qb and are always stable at qb to prove your point

What's not funny is being terrible for ten years with multiple high picks that are busts . The time to win is now .

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Some food for thought regarding a team's FO priorities with respect to winning...

The Dodgers just fired Don Mattingly. After he took them to 3 consecutive division championships. They ALMOST fired him after the '14 season.

Fisher has put up a 20-27-1 in his first 3 seasons and is 2-3 so far this year. Yet we all know that Kroenke is gonna give him the full 5 years as HC.

Consider the 2 above extremes, fellas.

Both organizations are too far out on their respective positions about winning, if you ask me.

But I will say that I think Fisher is far too comfortable about his job security. Sigh...

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
What about Seattle then?

Saints?

Both won with their HC in place in the 4th season.

Well there's drew breese

And Seattle can u say Marshawn Lynch and stout d. Neither coach or any of the coaches mentioned thus far have had to completely change all positions on their perspective team nor change the culture of the team or deal with the lack of durability at qb.