Do the Ravens trade Flacco?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he's cut or traded, it's a $16 million cap hit for 2019.

If he's cut or traded after 2019, it would be an $8 million cap hit for 2020. Signing bonuses are accelerated so the cap hit is in the immediate year.

While it would be a $16 million cap hit still in 2019, that saves $10.5 million for them still - which would be a lot for a backup QB.

A team trading for him would have his $18.5 million salary in 2019, a $20.25 million salary in 2020, and a $24.25 million salary in 2021. None of those would be guaranteed, but all of them are likely more than teams would want to pay. Maybe a desperate team would give a late round pick, figuring to cut him or renegotiate after 2019 - but I doubt it.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler

Ok that’s what I thought but the opt out confused me. Seems to serve no point then since there’s no other guarantees anyway

Picked4td

Pro Bowler

ah ok guess thats what threw me off. i dont use spotrac much but i never saw that before and assumed it meant some odd opt out cuz theres a potential out after any year in any deal, just that a lot of the time its not smart for the team. Didnt realize they just put the most likely release date if they were to want out

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jags would be in the playoffs this year with Flacco I see this as the most likely scenario. I can't see any other team willing to take on that contract and give up picks for a game manager. Or they could just use there soon to be top 5 pick on a QB.

They just held a good Colts offense to 3 points didn't they? They still got it. I wonder if the Coughlin coaching talk gave them

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2018...ckson-starting-at-qb-joe-flacco-disappointed/

By Mark Viviano

Lamar Jackson will start as quarterback for the Ravens this Sunday when they face the Buccaneers, despite Joe Flacco being cleared to play.

Coach John Harbaugh made the announcement Wednesday, saying Flacco will suit up Sunday, but that Jackson will start.

Flacco, 33, said he was “disappointed” that he’s now the backup quarterback, but he’ll do what he can to help the team win.

“I’m obviously disappointed I can’t be part of this team in the same capacity that I have been for a long time,” Flacco said. “I can’t say I was surprised.”

View: https://twitter.com/MarkWJZ/status/1072894774242406400?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1072894774242406400&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbaltimore.cbslocal.com%2F2018%2F12%2F12%2Fravens-lamar-jackson-starting-at-qb-joe-flacco-disappointed%2F

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I haven’t seen a ton of Lamar Jackson, but of the games I’ve watched; I don’t know.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I haven’t seen a ton of Lamar Jackson, but of the games I’ve watched; I don’t know.

I've been more impressed than I thought, he does have the accuracy issues, but he's a player and as a defense, you can't take a play off and the players around him feed off of him. I know some are against running quarterbacks, but QB's that have the ability to run and protect themselves like Russell Wilson can win you a game even if they are not throwing the ball well.

I just know when I was coaching, a QB that could run added another dimension to the offense. Jackson seems to be looking to throw first and run after, but I guess now we need to see if he continues to develop his ability to throw the ball in tight windows.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've been more impressed than I thought, he does have the accuracy issues, but he's a player and as a defense, you can't take a play off and the players around him feed off of him. I know some are against running quarterbacks, but QB's that have the ability to run and protect themselves like Russell Wilson can win you a game even if they are not throwing the ball well.

I just know when I was coaching, a QB that could run added another dimension to the offense. Jackson seems to be looking to throw first and run after, but I guess now we need to see if he continues to develop his ability to throw the ball in tight windows.

Running QBs are great until their first ACL. They are difficult to defend. Russell Wilson is in a different category. He’s more of a scrambler that keeps his eyes downfield looking to throw.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I would trade him , hes not going to get any better. Moving on from guys at the right time saves jobs, ask mike McCarthy .

fearsomefour

Legend

To me it's about if the guy is an either/or guy.
Is he a runner playing QB or a QB who can run.
It's a good skill to have but sort of a misnomer at the NFL level I think.
ESPN would cream everytime a QB would run for 100 yards. Was it 300 yards passing and 100 yards rushing? Was it more like 110 yards rushing and 160 passing? Almost always the second option. Those QB were putting up yardage totals below average for a pocket passer and in most cases leaving plays on the field by not seeing open receivers.
It's a good skill to have on 3rd and 6 and a guy can pick up a first down on the cheap.
Coaching younger guys it was easy to design plays that kept it simple....here's your target, here's your throw away lane, you should be able to run here if you need to.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There have been successful running QB who transitioned in to good passers. Michael Vick, Donovan McNabb and of course the "Ultimate Weapon" Randall Cunningham come to mind.
I think Jackson can be really good.
As for Flacco being traded, I have to laugh. I think he's due a butt ton of ching a ling.