Do the Rams possibly draft a WR early?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think it’s possible.

Kupp is Kupp, but he’s turning 30.

And Robinson? The Rams know by now if he’s the #2 they envisioned. If not, his contact is such they could move on in 2024.

Jefferson is a FA in 2024.

With these two possibly moving on in 2024, now feels the time to get a rookie in the system. Expecting a rookie to contribute in 2024 would be a stretch in a McVay offense. 2023 is the time to get that player started.

Atwell, like it or not, is a situational receiver.

Skowronek is more part TE and part Ricky Proehl. Not the #2 WR to exploit matchups opposite Kupp.

We have a lot of needs, but a WR early in our draft wouldn’t surprise me.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I think that is a possibility that many of us had not considered.

Jourdan Rodrigue often notes (and, I think most of us realize this) that the Rams value specific positions; and that's usually where they allocate their resources of salary cap and high draft choices.

Those positions are ... Quarterback, Wide Receiver, Left Tackle, Edge and Cornerback.

I think of the high picks they have traded.
Multiple #1s for Goff and Stafford, #1 for Cooks, #2 for Watkins, two #1s for Ramsey and #2 and #3 for Miller who was three months away from being a free agent. They allocated large amounts of salary cap space to all those players but Watkins and Miller; and they tried to do so with Miller.

From a salary cap point-of-view in Free Agency, the big-money has been spent on players like Floyd and Whitworth. Heck, Whitworth is still on-the-books for 2023.

I hope the second round draft choice is not a WR. Simply because, if the Rams are healthy, they have a talented group of receivers. However, I think they need a talent up-grade at O-Line, Edge and Cornerback.

I also hope they stick with their Board, and not reach, at #36. There's enough positions-of-need that one of their top-rated players should also help fill a need. Some of the best interior-OL should be there, as should good Edge and Cornerback options. Even a top-TE could be interesting if the Offense is going to return to more two-TE-sets.

F. Mulder

Starter
I really think they need someone with speed, someone who can take the top off a defense or be a threat to take a short pass all the way. I know Tu Tu has speed but he is more of a situational WR to me. I was surprised, even with Kupp, how pedestrian and non-threading they looked on offense last year; especially in the air.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That blaze kid is gonna burn out before he even makes it to the league.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Not sure they need a receiver on day 2. Maybe find a speedster on day 3 and make him a project. Or a speed type back in the 6th or 7th. KC found a gem with Pacheco in the 7th.

I'm hoping they trade down and pick up an extra day 2 pick. The trade calculator has a fair trade value if they traded their 36 down to the low 50's for a 3rd round pick in the 80's. There's still good value in the top 100.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If so, it’s hello Brian Allen and and goodbye Creed Humphrey2.0. *tightens noose around neck and steps off chair…

Ram65

Legend
So many needs so few assets to fill them for the Rams.

You never know what the Rams will do in the draft. Somehow they need to fix the OL first and foremost ASAP. Donald also needs some help with the pass rush outside of Floyd. Those are my priorities. T

The Rams need to have a great draft.

Ram65

Legend

List of Los Angeles Rams Draft Picks in 2023 NFL Draft​

Fresh off a stark regression following their Super Bowl-winning 2021 campaign, do the Los Angeles Rams have the draft picks to adequately reset in 2023?

ByIan Cummings
February 15, 2023

2022 was an underwhelming season for the defending Super Bowl Champion Los Angeles Rams, one they’ll look to bounce back from with their available picks in the 2023 NFL Draft. Los Angeles has spurned the draft in recent years, but now, in the fallout of their worthwhile Super Bowl gambit, they may need to turn back to the board for help.

Note: Draft pick numbers are as of January 9, 2023

Los Angeles Rams Draft Picks by Round in 2023​

• Round 2, Pick 36 overall
  • Round 3, Pick 69 overall
  • Round 6, Pick 182 overall
  • Round 6, Pick 189 overall (from ATL)
  • Round 6, Pick 191 overall (from TEN)
  • Round 6, Pick 211 overall (projected compensatory pick)
  • Round 7, Pick 237
  • Round 7, Pick 252 (projected compensatory pick)

How Many Draft Picks Do the Rams Have in 2023?​

The Rams have six draft picks in the 2023 NFL Draft. Two of those selections — a second and third-rounder — reside on Day 2. The rest are Day 3 picks, all outside of the top 150.

True to form, the Rams don’t have a first-round selection in the 2023 NFL Draft. It’ll be the seventh straight NFL draft in which LA hasn’t had a Round 1 pick.

The Rams traded away their 2022 and 2023 first-rounders to the Detroit Lions in exchange for Matthew Stafford in the 2021 offseason. The Lions also took on former Rams QB Jared Goff in the deal — an acquisition that was, at the time, deemed as more of a cap handcuff, given Goff’s regression late in his Rams career.
The trade paid off for the Rams, as they earned a Super Bowl ring in Stafford’s first year as the starter. But now, the hangover is hitting hard. The first-round pick that the Lions acquired along with Goff is now the sixth overall pick — a selection that would be very valuable to LA, as the roster ages.

MORE: History of Los Angeles Rams First-Round NFL Draft Picks

Ironically, the Rams’ first selection at 37th overall will be their earliest NFL draft pick since taking Goff No. 1 overall in the 2016 NFL Draft. It’s the closest Los Angeles has been to Round 1 since that time, and it’ll potentially allow the Rams to capitalize on first-round talent sneaking through the cracks.

It’s a bit more difficult to discern who the Rams might target at 37th overall. However, with pressing needs on the offensive line and on the edge, the 2023 NFL Draft class brings great value at both positions. Prospects like Matthew Bergeron, Cody Mauch, John Michael Schmitz, and Derick Hall come to mind quickly, but the choices extend far beyond that.

Along with their second-rounder, Los Angeles also has their original third-rounder. Past that point, it gets dicey. The Rams traded their 2023 fourth-rounder for Sony Michel back in 2021 and dealt their fifth-round pick in exchange for Cleveland Browns DB Troy Hill.

Los Angeles did add two additional sixth-round picks via trade, dealing WR Robert Woods and punter Corey Bojorquez in the process. But that still leaves a 100-pick gap between the Rams’ third-round selection and their next pick in the 2023 NFL Draft. There may be motivation on the Rams’ side to add more capital within that range.

Remember the Rams have limited picks this year. They may just have to wait for one of those 6th round picks For another WRs.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cant see it before the 6th rounders unless they trade back in the 2nd or 3rd and pick up something. But BPA is BPA

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We did a couple years ago so not this year.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
OLers need a year or two to develop, but at 36 we should be able to get somebody who can step right in and be better than what we have, at least maybe by mid-season.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
A developmental WR with some flaws or from a small school in the 6th would be good. He’s not playing right away in our group anyway. Lots of WRs these days. You can get a potential guy there who can contribute in 1-2 years. Maybe a guy who can return punts to take that over soon as well.

Definitely need to use a 6/7th in a punter. Also a RB (maybe 2). Developmental DT, OL, CB/FS and TE as potential picks well.

Top two picks: Edge/OLB and OL.

If there isn’t one star that falls to us and is one of those two positions, then I am liking the trade back to get an additional 3rd so we can select a DB.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Hoping McVay can see past his weapon goggles and get help where help is needed. Sure, BPA is never a bad choice, but, I find it extremely unlikely that the BPA at 36 will be a WR. I suppose if JSN or Johnson fell to 36, they might actually be BPA, but, thats not going to happen. I'd even rather we grab Gibbs then another WR. We can get one later or pick up a WR that may have underperformed last year. I actually saw a lot from Atwell I liked last year and think he should be sprinkled in much more this next season.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Picking a WR with their highest pick would be a great start to another season like last year.
We'd be better off selecting a kicker with that pick since we probably won't be able to resign ours.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I think that is a possibility that many of us had not considered.

Jourdan Rodrigue often notes (and, I think most of us realize this) that the Rams value specific positions; and that's usually where they allocate their resources of salary cap and high draft choices.

Those positions are ... Quarterback, Wide Receiver, Left Tackle, Edge and Cornerback.

I think of the high picks they have traded.
Multiple #1s for Goff and Stafford, #1 for Cooks, #2 for Watkins, two #1s for Ramsey and #2 and #3 for Miller who was three months away from being a free agent. They allocated large amounts of salary cap space to all those players but Watkins and Miller; and they tried to do so with Miller.

From a salary cap point-of-view in Free Agency, the big-money has been spent on players like Floyd and Whitworth. Heck, Whitworth is still on-the-books for 2023.

I hope the second round draft choice is not a WR. Simply because, if the Rams are healthy, they have a talented group of receivers. However, I think they need a talent up-grade at O-Line, Edge and Cornerback.

I also hope they stick with their Board, and not reach, at #36. There's enough positions-of-need that one of their top-rated players should also help fill a need. Some of the best interior-OL should be there, as should good Edge and Cornerback options. Even a top-TE could be interesting if the Offense is going to return to more two-TE-sets.
I would take a big raw athletic kid...not as raw as Harris, but someone you could still get in the 4th or 5th. Otherwise I would settle for a cheap vet for depth and then depend on Atwell and Skowronek to keep improving.

Also, I think success this yr comes from running the ball and not relying on 35-40 passes a game. Of course no guarantee McVay does that though.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Would it really surprise anybody if they picked a WR early? Or a RB? Or a TE? I expect an Edge with one of the first two picks, as I believe most Ram fans do. But if we've learned one thing about these guys when it comes to the draft. Expect the unexpected.

But a question......the comp picks haven't been announced yet and the Rams have been projected to get the max of 4. Some sites have us getting two 5th round comps, in addition to a 6th and 7th. That's a lot of ammo to get another day 2 pick.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
They definitely have bigger needs than a WR to develop. McCutcheon should be playin more freely this year and ready to get serious reps in 24. If they see someone round 4 or later go for it but at 36 they need IOL or Edge.