Do it now or wait and see? (Foles contract)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Only way I'm signing him now is if he'll take a Kaepernick type deal, effectively long term but with the option for the team to get out of it year to year.

We sign him now to anything approaching a typical QB deal and he plays like the less accurate Austin Davis he was last year then your fucked for years to come.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Foles, like any QB that is at least decent, is in a great position. Like @Yamahopper said, there are teams out there that wouldn't hesitate to pick up someone like Foles.

This is because, in my view, the general standard of QB play is down. There are so many poor QBs out there starting and that's only going to get worse because the college game isn't restocking the league.

I can completely understand the team's desire to sign him sooner rather than later if the reports are true.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
There's 3 scenarios I can see with Foles.

1. He recaptures 2013's form and is a top 10 QB
2. He recaptures 2014's form and is a bottom 10 QB
3. Somewhere inbetween

To be honest I'd rather 2 than 3, having an average QB is one of the worst positions you can be in in the NFL, you aren't going to win consistently and you aren't going to be in a position to draft anyone better, unless you get lucky on a Wilson.

Alan

Legend
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/15/rams-foles-talk-about-a-long-term-contract/
Rams, Foles talk about a long-term contract
The Rams traded a quarterback with one expensive year left on his contract for a quarterback with one inexpensive year on his contract when they sent Sam Bradford to Philadelphia in exchange for Nick Foles. Now St. Louis would like to get something done to keep Foles more than one year — if the team can do so at a price that makes sense.

The Rams and Foles have had initial talks on a long-term contract and plan to continue discussions this summer, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports.

The question is what kind of financial package would make sense. Foles is slated to make $1.5 million this year on his current contract, which is a bargain for a starting quarterback in today’s NFL. (For that matter, it’s not a bad price for a backup quarterback in today’s NFL.) Obviously, Foles would like to be paid like a starter if he’s going to be a starter.

But the Rams have plenty of leverage in contract talks. If Foles plays as well this season as he did in 2013, when he led the league with a 119.2 passer rating, they can always franchise him to keep him in St. Louis. So the team doesn’t need to rush to get a deal done. And it wouldn’t be surprised if these contract talks end with Foles playing for $1.5 million this year.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Please wait and see.

We really don't know which Nick Foles we're getting here. Maybe we're getting the 2013 one, in which case I say go for it. But we could also be getting the 2014 one that didn't do much and got hurt. And maybe he'll be even worse than 2014.

Unless we can get him for like 3 million a year, I say wait

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Do it now, but with a clever lil contract, sign him for the next few years - with a decent base salary, but throw in meaty incentives, +x% if he is on the playing field, +x% if he passes for #'s of yards, + a huge bonus if we reach the playoffs, with him as our main QB starter, and a mahoosive bonus if we reach the SB and win

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I've mulled this over a bit and have mixed feelings. In one instance the contract would favor the Rams if it was low enough and long enough. Like Kaepernicks contract, if it is more incentive driven then sure. Otherwise it is a big gamble. They are trying to put a value on something that they cannot be sure of at this point. If Foles had two similar seasons then great but his seasons are night and day. So which do you gamble on, and which one is the most telling of his ability?

Fisher could wait it out and see what the year brings and then the value would be appropriately assessed. I really think this is crazy. They could sign him to a team friendly deal, and if he foolishly agrees, the Rams come out smelling like roses, especially if he plays lights out football.

Or they could pay the going rate for top starting QBs and then he ends up playing poorly. Then the Rams get burned.

Or they wait and he plays well and hits the market and is priced out of the Rams range.

This whole thing is one big gamble, No matter which way you play it, but I never figured that they would try to sign him before he ever played a down for them. I thought for sure they would wait and see how he does and decide his true value after that. If some other team steals him with a ridiculous offer then so be it and move on.

The outcome of this early contract signing idea could be very interesting.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I'm in favor of giving Foles a contract now for the following reasons:
1) Last year he didn't have a great statistical year and was out for more than half of the year; he was 5-2 in games which he started and finished. He played in one game in which McCoy rushed for over 100 yards.
2) Unless he's the world's greatest BS'er, he's got the mentality you want from your guy under center. They guys are already responding to him and seem willing to give their best effort for him.
3) 2013 gives us an idea of what he can do, when you can move the ball in chunks on the ground, gets ample protection, and the receivers can get separation.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I don't think the low guaranteed /incentive laden stuff works in a long-term contract for a QB...If I were him, I'd laugh at that and take my chances with a good year and big FA contract...

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think the low guaranteed /incentive laden stuff works in a long-term contract for a QB...If I were him, I'd laugh at that and take my chances with a good year and big FA contract...

Especially since one thing you want in a QB is a lot of self-confidence - at times bordering even on arrogance. Some of the suggestions here would not only get laughed at by his agent, they would probably deeply offend Foles.

What makes sense for both sides is likely a fairly short contract, with enough money that he's set for life, but where he will be a free agent for another contract, AND would save the Rams money over signing him to a full contract - i.e., something like $10-13 million per for four years including signing bonus, kicking in after this season but giving him a nice bonus now so that he gets say $16 million now, and say an average of $8 million per year salary from 2016-2019. That way he's set, and the Rams would save significantly over signing him at a star salary, AND if he becomes a big star he will get an even larger payday in just a few years.

Both sides need to get something and not be fully happy in the negotiation for it to happen.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I'm in favor of giving Foles a contract now for the following reasons:
1) Last year he didn't have a great statistical year and was out for more than half of the year; he was 5-2 in games which he started and finished. He played in one game in which McCoy rushed for over 100 yards.
2) Unless he's the world's greatest BS'er, he's got the mentality you want from your guy under center. They guys are already responding to him and seem willing to give their best effort for him.
3) 2013 gives us an idea of what he can do, when you can move the ball in chunks on the ground, gets ample protection, and the receivers can get separation.
Spot on man. To add onto it, I believe some vital pieces of that studly offensive line were injured early in the year. Jason Peters missed some time iirc, as well as their starting center, maybe one other. Last year wasn't the greatest standard to hold him to.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Spot on man. To add onto it, I believe some vital pieces of that studly offensive line were injured early in the year. Jason Peters missed some time iirc, as well as their starting center, maybe one other. Last year wasn't the greatest standard to hold him to.
Evan Mathis also missed some time.

FRO

Legend
Unless its just uber team friendly, I don't see how you can give a QB a long term deal without a test drive.
This. It's going to be costly now and if he does well it will be costly later. If he sucks then we are stuck with a bad contract. Just wait and see. We have a franchise tag if needed.

fearsomefour

Legend
There would be no reason for Foles to take a low ball deal. When backups can get $4M a year I am sure he will play it out. If he plays badly he will land somewhere else in a back up role and if he plays well he is in line for a nice pay day. The only kind of deal I would think he would consider would be like a 3 year deal at $7M per starting with THIS year. As he was acquired via trade I don't even know if it is allowed for a team to rip up his existing deal.
I would wait.
To me Foles is not as good as his 13 stats. He may not be as average as his 14 stats but I think that is closer to the true him. We will see....

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Only way I'm signing him now is if he'll take a Kaepernick type deal, effectively long term but with the option for the team to get out of it year to year.

We sign him now to anything approaching a typical QB deal and he plays like the less accurate Austin Davis he was last year then your fucked for years to come.
^^^ This^^^

They'd be fools to structure any extension such that they take any big hits going forward.

You simply have no idea how he'll play in this new system... with a new OC and QB coach... new RB... and rookie Oline (for all intents and purposes).
I know I shouldn't say this... but, with that Oline, he could get injured.

No... please... I beg you, Rams... structure it so you don't take on much risk at all.

Of course, would Foles do such a deal?

?????

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
I am sorry if someone else already said this, but it seems to me that many here do not understand 'leverage'

Foles is earning next to nothing for a starting NFL QB, especially considering he is a pro-bowl QB who (statistically) compiled one of the best seasons in NFL history

If we do not extend him, then where ever he resides in 2016 he will be earning substantially more than at present. However, he will have lost a full year's 'potential' earnings in 2015... So it is very much in his own interest to sign an extension, even if it is below his possible market value in 2016

The Rams hold all the cards... and if I am not mistaken, extending Foles later in the offseason will commute any cap charges... expect a deal, because it is everyone's interest.... whereby most of his potential earnings are 'incentive' based....

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...ew-contract-rightly-pays-him-like-2nd-tier-qb

'the devil, as they say, is in the details:

A closer look at Dalton's contract suggests the Bengals paid him like a second-tier quarterback, which, frankly, is exactly what he is. The deal includes a $12 million signing bonus and $17 million guaranteed.

As CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora noted, all of the fully guaranteed money comes in the first year of the deal. Dalton will make $18 million guaranteed this season and $22 million by February.

Beyond that, the contract is essentially pay as you go. The team will have protections from a cap and cash standpoint should they choose to move on after a few years. In the meantime, Dalton gets a life-altering chunk of money within the first 6-7 months of signing the deal'

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I have mixed feelings on the wisdom of a new contract for Foles at this time, like so many others.

There are good arguments both pro and con.

I will say this. Let's don't kid ourselves. Any proposed new Foles contract has to make sense for both sides. IOW, there ain't gonna be any $3-7 million bargains available to the Rams. More like $15-18 million, I'm afraid.

But here's what I consider encouraging, no matter how this works out.

The Rams wouldn't be pursuing contract talks with Foles this early unless they are pretty danged comfortable with what they've seen so far.

He's reportedly taken the leadership reins quickly and smoothly. That's huge.

We can only assume that the Rams are pleased with what they've seen in terms of work ethic, film review, and on field observations at OTA's.

Yeah, it's early. But then again, if he's reinforced everything that they were hoping for, why not get the ball rolling on contract talks?

I suspect that Fisher/Cigs have seen enough already to be convinced that Foles is more than capable of executing their proposed O this and every season.

So maybe a properly structured contract that protects the Rams and still makes sense for Foles does make a ton of sense. It would be wonderful to enter the next draft unconcerned about our QB situation, huh?

Then we could simply use our 1st and both 2nds on BPA's, rather than having to trade up for a QB.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
I say do it we really don't have any better options at this point and he has proved he can play in this league.Besides with the type of Defense that Fisher is building he doesn't have to be elite he just needs to be better than Davis or Hill and he already is.

Ozoneranger

Rookie
Foles won't command Newton/Flacco dollars. His body of work is just too inconsistent. I'll go with what The Tackle posted...2nd tier money with incentives. In any case, I'm happy the Rams are trying to lock him up now.