Discussion of 4th and an inch or two

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kick the FG. The Rams were taking on water and needed to extend their lead. Going up by 7 would have given them time to stem the tide while not having to come from behind.

Also, all of this "just QB sneak it" talk is very presumptive. As an example, Flacco got stuffed yesterday trying to do the same thing so it's by no means automatic. Just kick the easy FG.

If the TV view was correct there was no one lined up over Wells, a QB sneak should have gained the less than a 1/2 yard they needed easy. It a LB that came for 3 or 4 yards away that made the stop. Didn't see the Flacco play so not sure if the center had someone lined up right in front of him or in both gaps. Wells looked clean on both sides and right in front of him?

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Here's another idea. The receivers need to learn how to adjust their routes so that they're beyond the 1st down marker. How many times were we looking at 4th and short because the receiver couldn't turn upfield?
Britt had it, but was lax in making sure, and then got tackled at the line. All he had to do was be aware and turn upfield right away and not try and run that guy over. Little things that can keep you out of jams sometimes help.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'd have liked more power running...with no guard pulling...no crying over spilled milk, but Davin Joseph needs to be moving forward....let the lead back do his job, Stacy follows....seems pretty simple.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I take the points, hated that they went for it, but understand the reasoning. But you take the points, go up so a TD only ties it.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I'm all for going for it on 4th and 1 as long as we're past the 50. I don't like pulling the guard unless its a pitch in this scenario, but I like the decision to go for it.

We just didn't finish and it hurts. A remarkable stat, however, we're a top ten passing team and can't stop the run. Who knew?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I almost always like it when they go for it and I don't second guess them when it fails.

Agreed on part 1. I will second guess the play-call on part 2. Don't think it was a good idea for that situation. Trying to get too cute and break off a big play when you needed a few inches. On 3rd and inches? Fine, go for it. On 4th and inches, get the damn first down. :LOL:

Alan

Legend
jrry32 with this:
Trying to get too cute and break off a big play when you needed a few inches.
I agree with all you said. I didn't mention anything about the play calling cause I was shooting for pithy. I love pithy. :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
And we lost by 3!

So, if we make it and subsequently score a TD we probably win. "If's" "And's" and "But's"...

I would go for it every time given the situation, but the play call would be to look where the overload is with the defense and run to the opposite side. Good decision to go for it just a bad play call. You go man-on-man, hat-on-hat and run right at them. They weren't stopping us when we lined up and went straight at them. Shotty probably ran his head through the wall after watching the game tape of that play. Bet he doesn't call that play if the same situation comes up again.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
As I was watching the second time they went for it I was hoping in my head they would do a qb sneak. If you can't get a few inches on a sneak then something is wrong. Get to the line quickly and get set and snap the ball as quickly as possible. I don't see the point of taking the ball further away from the line of scrimmage than need be when you need literally inches. Just a complete terrible call on that one in my opinion.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
I'm seriously surprised our defense (who has ZERO pass rush) was able to stop that. Hitchens is a rookie. We got lucky, straight up.

cracengl

Rookie
I think the focus on this play is misplaced. Everyone seems to be pointing the finger at Britt for NOT getting the 1st down. But if you watch the play develop, IMO, Davis has got to get the ball to him sooner. Britt crossed the face of the LB and came open on the near hash marks. And yet, Davis didn't get him the ball until he was beyond the far hash marks and gave him virtually no opportunity to be able to turn it up field.

If he gets the ball sooner, he has plenty of room to turn it up, and this isn't even a discussion.

I have no doubt you are correct, because it would have made more sense that the play was called to happen how you state than how it did go down. I just thought in spite of that that Kenny could have done a better job making sure he got the first. Granted, if the route is busted from bad placement, the focus is probably on just making sure you make the catch. Oh well. They also could have converted the 4th down and we wouldn't be discussing this so much, so there's that.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
After seeing Fishers explanation on the play that Saffold did not execute properly it is easier to see how the play got blown up but I still think a QB sneak would have gotten the job done. Davis is still inexperienced in the NFL but he should probably work with Wells on something so that if there is no one over the center in that situation they snap it quickly and bull forward, screw the play call.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
Not sure if this has been said, but it looked like the RG pulled to the left, which left a gap open for Hitchens to get through.