Discussion of 4th and an inch or two

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
I have not seen any discussion regarding the two "4th and an Inch" play calls. While I agree with the call to go for it in those two situations, I felt the plays that were called were horrible. Do we have so littel faith in our O-line that we can't get an inch on a QB sneak? Or, is you are going to drop back and hand-off, what about putting someone huge (G Robinson) in the backfield as a FB/H-back.

Any thoughts on those plays? I felt NOT getting first down on the the second attempt hurt us badly.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I was fine going for it on the first one but as you said, the play call was terrible.

The second one there was no reason whatsoever not to take the points. I've always liked Fisher, but that was one of his worst games here.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Everyone wanted them to go for it, and if you don't make it, of course everyone says "You should've kicked the field goal"... what I'm disappointed with is the play call. You need an inch. Do a quick count and sneak that bitch. Hell, all he has to do is reach the ball over the line and you have the first... that was a very slow developing play.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I was at the game and I was 100% against going for it. However, I DO have GZ on my fantasy team so... :sneaky:

Really though, I didn't understand the call myself. I would have taken the points.

Psycho_X

Legend
The second one took to long to develop. No idea why people call plays with it 4th and inches that take that long to develop. Do a quick handoff, QB sneak, or if you want to watch a play develop do a quick fake and pass to a TE in the flat or something that has less opposing players smashed into one area.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I agree with these comments and also others that disagreed with the play call to pull the guard. All they needed was to QB sneak there.

Alan

Legend
I almost always like it when they go for it and I don't second guess them when it fails.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Fine with going for it. Dislike the playcall.

I think Fisher felt he had to get points because the D had fallen apart and Williams was being outcoached. Not to mention keep the Cowboys off the field. I felt the same way.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Fourth and inches I'll take anytime any place on the field. Winners have sacks.
Tho QB sneak would have been a better call with Davis.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I almost always like it when they go for it and I don't second guess them when it fails.

Me too. You don't teach a team to finish and win by kicking 50 yrd FGs. I say 50yrds purely as an example, not the actual yards they might have been.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Here's another idea. The receivers need to learn how to adjust their routes so that they're beyond the 1st down marker. How many times were we looking at 4th and short because the receiver couldn't turn upfield?

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
Fine with going for it. Dislike the playcall.

I think Fisher felt he had to get points because the D had fallen apart and Williams was being outcoached. Not to mention keep the Cowboys off the field. I felt the same way.

Yeah with the way the game was going I felt like we needed 7 as well so I don't blame anyone for going for it. You can't always settle for field goals. Hindsight is 20-20 as they say.

The playcall on the other hand....

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I was in total agreement for going for it on both occasions and yes, a QB sneak in those situations would be my preferred call. That second play was doomed.

Alan

Legend
ZigZagRam with this:
Here's another idea. The receivers need to learn how to adjust their routes so that they're beyond the 1st down marker. How many times were we looking at 4th and short because the receiver couldn't turn upfield?
Exactly. They shouldn't even make it close either because sometimes you have to come back on the ball. Totally frustrating and puts my TV in danger of short circuiting due to my foot being immersed in the screen. :LOL:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
New
"Here's another idea. The receivers need to learn how to adjust their routes so that they're beyond the 1st down marker. How many times were we looking at 4th and short because the receiver couldn't turn upfield? "

Please don't get me going on play-calls of 3rd and 8 and throwing a 4 yard pass!!!!! HATE IT!!!!!

drpugilist

havent read any other psots here yet, but there was no reason not to kick the field goal the second time

drpugilist

Everyone wanted them to go for it, and if you don't make it, of course everyone says "You should've kicked the field goal"... what I'm disappointed with is the play call. You need an inch. Do a quick count and sneak that bitch. Hell, all he has to do is reach the ball over the line and you have the first... that was a very slow developing play.

not true, not everyone wanted them to go for it. you kick the field goal and go up 7. no brainer really. if and when gz makes the fg. its a different ballgame.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I think overall Schotty called an excellent game yesterday, and I say that as someone who will never be a member of the Schotty fan club.
This is the one black mark though, he just got too cute. When it's fourth and 1 (or less than 1), you don't get cute. Getting the first down at this point is a matter of attitude. You line the guys up and make them beat the guy in front of them, and just hand the ball off to our physical RB and let him fight for the yard. Or even a QB sneak. Don't do something that is slow developing.

Big Game

Living The Dream
I have not seen any discussion regarding the two "4th and an Inch" play calls. While I agree with the call to go for it in those two situations, I felt the plays that were called were horrible. Do we have so littel faith in our O-line that we can't get an inch on a QB sneak? Or, is you are going to drop back and hand-off, what about putting someone huge (G Robinson) in the backfield as a FB/H-back.

Any thoughts on those plays? I felt NOT getting first down on the the second attempt hurt us badly.

I personally felt like going for it was the right call but the "play call" was horrible.

If your going to run it why not QB sneak all they needed was a "chain length" if not that at least bring a couple WR's out in the formation and spread them out. So I put that one on Shotty just bad play call along with execution.