Did the Rams/Demoff lie about Stafford, and does it really matter?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Let’s review…

A few weeks ago, Mike Lombardi said: “before his option bonus was kicking in the Rams attempted with a lot of effort to move Matthew Stafford. Any team could've had him.” Literally nobody confirmed or corroborated this claim. Nonetheless, many in the web/media world repeated it as if it was worthy of credence.

About a week later, Colin Cowherd had a different story, as he stated: “I was told by a source I trust that [the Rams] wanted to re-do [Stafford’s] contract, he wasn’t interested, it limits what they can do and they were frustrated with him.”

The next to chime in was Rams Chief Operating Officer, Kevin Demoff. Regarding the Lombardi/trade rumor, he said this:

“I know there are reports that we tried to trade Matthew. We were not actively trying to trade Matthew... It would be naive to think that people didn’t inquire about what was going to happen with the player who the year before won the Super Bowl. It’s different than whether people inquire, whether there are casual conversations.”

Regarding Stafford’s contract, he said this:

"The part that frustrated me was this notion that we were trying to get away from the $59 million and that was the only way to do it through trade… Matthew’s dollars after 2022 were unguaranteed. We could’ve walked away this year, free and clear, for $0. No future money owed. So there was no need to restructure. If we wanted out of Matthew’s deal, we could’ve walked away. We didn’t have to trade him to relieve the $58.5 million.”

Stafford was then asked if the team had reached out regarding a possible renegotiation or restructuring of his contract, and he said the following: “They did, and I’ll keep all of that stuff, those kinds of conversations in-house. I’ll just leave it at that.”

Finally, back on the trade rumor, Sean McVay indicated that other teams made inquiries, but the team was in “unanimous agreement” that they wished to keep Stafford.

So, did Demoff lie, as many in the Twitter/blog/talking head media world are claiming?

Regarding the trade rumor, I’d say “no.” There is nothing that would indicate that Lombardi is right and that everyone else is lying. No big surprise, given Lombardi’s track record.

Regarding Stafford’s contract, did Demoff lie outright? Not really.

I’d say he was deliberately evasive, as he tried to answer the question in terms of getting out of Stafford’s deal, rather than a restructure. Demoff was not forthcoming on the restructure part. As to whether Cowherd’s source is correct that the Rams are “frustrated” with Stafford… I’d surmise that the answer is that it doesn’t really matter, as long as Stafford throws TD passes.

Of course, there are already headlines that indignantly charge Demoff and the Rams with sins and crimes ranging from contradiction to outright lying. Guess you have to be dramatic to get those clicks these days.

The truth is, and I know some fans don’t like to hear this… its really none of our business. We, as fans (and those who supply us with information) are not entitled to know everything that goes on behind closed doors. Indeed, it would be detrimental to any team to have its internal dialogues and communications with other teams divulged for public consideration and commentary.

So the Rams want to downplay their efforts to get some cap relief from Stafford, and Stafford acknowledged that it happened. Not all that shocking, is it?

That should be the least our worries this year.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought we all agreed in the other thread about this that Lombardi is an idiot. At least that's what I thought and was under the impression most thought that.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I thought we all agreed in the other thread about this that Lombardi is an idiot. At least that's what I thought and was under the impression most thought that.
Yes, but it goes beyond the Lombardi report now.

This is my response to the trending mantra (do a Google search of Stafford and Demoff) that there has been significant dishonesty coming from Rams Park. I disagree with that reactionary assessment.

Read the actual quotes (above) and decide for yourself.

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
We did on that. There is a lot of other “weirdness” around this though.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Yes they lied about the situation and no it doesn't matter. Stafford is still here.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
OP, you're great, but do we really need to perpetuate this topic any further? We have camp stuff to talk about.... Finally!!!

oldnotdead

Legend
I think they are both telling the truth. I think the FO informally inquired if he would consider restructure not formally via his agent etc making an offer. He declined so it went no further. I think it was triggered by outside teams inquiring about his possible availability. In Demoff's mind there was nothing formal about it. Stafford took it as them asking and his declining. IMO this seems to match up with what I feel about Stafford's projected longevity as a Ram. When he signed his current contract both sides probably agreed that it ran through the 2024 season and then Stafford would ride off into the retirement sunset. I don't think he's planning on playing longer, especially after this latest issue with Kelly's health.

He knows the Rams are planning to draft his successor next year. He's simply saying he wants to stick to the original timetable. He's got his ring so the pressure is off it's all about finishing earning his money now securing his retirement future and his daughters' college funds. Personally I say good for him.

I think Kupp and probably Donald have the same time table. This will be a whole new team in 2025. Of the top 10 collegiate QBs IMO Penix is the best overall fit for McVay's style offense. The major caveat being he needs to play injury free this year giving him two years injury free.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
OP, you're great, but do we really need to perpetuate this topic any further? We have camp stuff to talk about.... Finally!!!
I understand what you’re saying, but there’s so much out there that is misleading, so I wanted to gather and present the actual facts.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, but it goes beyond the Lombardi report now.

This is my response to the trending mantra (do a Google search of Stafford and Demoff) that there has been significant dishonesty coming from Rams Park. I disagree with that reactionary assessment.

Read the actual quotes (above) and decide for yourself.
I guess like a lot of other stuff like this I just don't care enough to worry about it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
People have to worry about things I guess, I didn't know and don't care about any other "developments"

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'd rather have a team that is intelligent enough to exhaust all possibilities, even if they later feel the need to lie about it, than a team who is honest but too stupid to consider them.

Judge Doom

Margot Robbie's Future Love Slave
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things; not gonna affect anything moving forward. I wish everyone would just let it go.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
I think Demoff tried to save face, for Stafford’s sake, and whether Stafford knew he made a public statement or not, he was truthful about declining to restructure. Either way, it doesn’t matter.

dang

Legend
And in the end…,
The love that you take
Is equal to the love you make

The NFL is full of wonder and intrigue.

Last edited:

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
The reason it doesn’t matter—to me as a Rams fan—is everybody’s fine, focused, and on the same page internally, team and organization. If it doesn’t mean anything to them, it doesn’t to me.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They all lie, and it doesn't matter.