Dickerson versus Faulk

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
A myth?

Interesting, I'm just going to have to disagree with you on this one, Dickerson would have NEVER been caught from behind as many time as Faulk was. Makes me wonder if you really did see both players in their prime.

Answer this, you think ED would have been caught from behind like Marshall was in SB 34? (it was almost laughable he got caught, speed wasn't Marshalls thing, almost everybody knows that)

I did ONCE see Darrell Green run down Dick, once... and that was it, if you're comparing game speed of these two backs as equal...ehhhh, nevermind.

I really couldn't tell you what would happen in a hypothetical situation like that. My crystal ball hasn't been working lately.

I only know for sure that ED ran a 4.30 at one time and that MF ran a 4.35 at one time. That's not a big difference and in my book they were comparable in speed at their prime.

One thing that I am 100% sure of though is that MF is an all time top 10 back.

AZRamsFan93

Deleted. Already posted.

Last edited by a moderator:

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Growing up watching COMPLETE runners like Marshall & Steven has spoiled me. If I'm picking a pure runner, I'd probably go 1a) Faulk 1b) ED 2) SJ. But if you're talking complete backs I'm going 1) Faulk 2) SJ 3) ED without question. Marshall and SJ brought a pass catching element to their game, that ED never showed (whether it was the offense he played in or not). How about the fact that Dickerson fumbled once every 42 times he touched the rock in his career? Again I'm not trying to take away from his incredible big play ability w/his breakaway speed, but to me COMPLETE backs have good/great:

-Vision
-Speed
-Power
-Elusiveness
-Durability
-Receiving Ability
-Pass Blocking Ability
-Ball Security
-Intangibles

You can check off the first 4 or 5 for ED, but imo Marshall & SJ were more complete. Maybe SJ didn't have the big play ability that ED had, but he certainly was a more complete back. Its just my preference.

I think you are letting bias weigh in here. Yes ED had more fumbles. He also found the endzone A LOT more and had a lot more yards. He still had over 2100yrds recieving (for that era that is big). SJ started off as a horrible pass blocker and was Ok at it when he left (so no advantage there). Not sure what "intangible" you thin SJ brought that Ed did not - there is certainly not any evidence of any. Of the first five items you mention not sure what of those you think that SJ would be better than ED. Certainly not speed, having seen ED shed blockers I highly doubt power, not sure how you would measure vision and elusiveness (though EDs big lead in TD would tend to give him advantatge here), and they are pretty much equal in games played (though ED has many more touches) so durability is a wash.

I would add to your list ability to find the endzone....and Ed wins that big.

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would go with 1 ED, 2 Faulk, and 3 SJ. But I would like to say about SJ, the 2009 season was probably the greatest performance by a player I have ever seen. SJ was our team he carried everyone. It was SJ left and SJ right and SJ up the middle. He still had 1400 yards I believe. IMHO he should have been league MVP for what he meant to his team.

RocknRam29

Live, Love, Laugh, & Learn
Any woman looking like that is going to get passes made at her....

...I'm sorry, what were we talking about?

Omx0sE.gif

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I think you are letting bias weigh in here. Yes ED had more fumbles. He also found the endzone A LOT more and had a lot more yards. He still had over 2100yrds recieving (for that era that is big). SJ started off as a horrible pass blocker and was Ok at it when he left (so no advantage there). Not sure what "intangible" you thin SJ brought that Ed did not - there is certainly not any evidence of any. Of the first five items you mention not sure what of those you think that SJ would be better than ED. Certainly not speed, having seen ED shed blockers I highly doubt power, not sure how you would measure vision and elusiveness (though EDs big lead in TD would tend to give him advantatge here), and they are pretty much equal in games played (though ED has many more touches) so durability is a wash.

I'll concede that I am a bit of a Marshall/SJ homer, because they were the ones I grew up watching. I can't say the same for ED, so I'll agree that I am a bit biased. If I had the opportunity to watch all 3 RBs careers, as some on this board have had the privileged of doing, I'd be able to give a more even assessment. I stand by my statement that Marshall/SJ are more COMPLETE backs, however I'll concede that ED's big play ability (breakaway speed & nose for the EZ) put him above SJ as a playmaker. This is certainly evidenced by his highest rookie rushing yardage, highest single-season rushing total, highest playoff single-game rushing total, and fastest to 10k yards.

I'll rescind my order to: 1) Faulk 2) ED 3) SJ

I think regardless these are all incredible backs who are among the best of their eras and all are HOF worthy (yes, even SJ).

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I would go with 1 ED, 2 Faulk, and 3 SJ. But I would like to say about SJ, the 2009 season was probably the greatest performance by a player I have ever seen. SJ was our team he carried everyone. It was SJ left and SJ right and SJ up the middle. He still had 1400 yards I believe. IMHO he should have been league MVP for what he meant to his team.

All while playing for the second half of the season with a herniated disc in his back, missing ONE game, and playing for a 1-15 team. Despite our record we lost I think 7 games by a possession or less, games in which we would have never even had a chance in without SJ. Lets not also forget how he willed us to victory in our ONLY win of 2009.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Eric Dickerson in my eyes is the best running back in Rams history. Marshall Faulk is the best pure football player that I have ever seen. Much more than just a running back. SJax in does not belong in this conversation in my humble opinion......

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All while playing for the second half of the season with a herniated disc in his back, missing ONE game, and playing for a 1-15 team. Despite our record we lost I think 7 games by a possession or less, games in which we would have never even had a chance in without SJ. Lets not also forget how he willed us to victory in our ONLY win of 2009.
Adding the defenses knew exactly what we were going to run. Because we had to.

209RamsFan

Dick was maybe faster (longer strides).. ....but marshall was more elusive, better blocker, more cerebral, better leadership, a much better receiver, and he did NOT Fumble.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I think you are letting bias weigh in here. Yes ED had more fumbles. He also found the endzone A LOT m. ore and had a lot more yards He still had over 2100yrds recieving (for that era that is big). SJ started off as a horrible pass blocker and was Ok at it when he left (so no advantage there). Not sure what "intangible" you thin SJ brought that Ed did not - there is certainly not any evidence of any. Of the first five items you mention not sure what of those you think that SJ would be better than ED. Certainly not speed, having seen ED shed blockers I highly doubt power, not sure how you would measure vision and elusiveness (though EDs big lead in TD would tend to give him advantatge here), and they are pretty much equal in games played (though ED has many more touches) so durability is a wash.

Am I reading this out of context or something? Faulk had 100 career rushing TD's compared to ED's 90. Faulk had 136 total career TD's compared to ED's 96. Faulk's best single season was 18 rushing TD's as was ED's. Faulk's best single season was 26 total TD's, ED's was 20.

Faulk was a pro-bowler long before the GSOT and carried some bad teams just like ED had to. If I had to take one or the other for ANY team, I'd take Faulk. Much better all-around player, protected the ball much better and scored more. Whatever advantage ED might have had in size and running ability was made up for by Faulk in many other areas.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
I gotta go Salma. Even if she can't pass protect
images
I couldn't afford her.

She married a billionaire. An actual billionaire.

On the other hand...
images

Sofia Vergara...well, she likes down to earth actor types so there's a chance....now matter how slim...

No. No chance at all. Ever.

Besides...my wife would probably not approve.;)

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
Eric Dickerson is my favorite Ram of all time.

I just loved to watch him run. No running back had his vision for just completely avoiding where the defense was and gliding(yeah he just seemed to glide) right past it.

That said, Faulk was all-world. He did it all and if I had to pick one player it would probably be him. I just loved watching ED run.

Faulk's longest runs as a Ram:

58 36 71 44 52 40 20= 321

Dickerson's:

85 66 43 42 57= 293

That's a difference of 28 yards with Faulk having two more seasons.

To me, Dickerson was the ultimate "home run hitter" of running backs(I'm talking about just running). On any play he could be GONE. That was exciting.

Faulk could also be gone--but it may have happened through the air as much as the ground.

Fortunately this team had them both.

And while I love Zac Stacy---it would be nice to have that "home run hitter" running back again. They are rare.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Am I reading this out of context or something? Faulk had 100 career rushing TD's compared to ED's 90. Faulk had 136 total career TD's compared to ED's 96. Faulk's best single season was 18 rushing TD's as was ED's. Faulk's best single season was 26 total TD's, ED's was 20.

Faulk was a pro-bowler long before the GSOT and carried some bad teams just like ED had to. If I had to take one or the other for ANY team, I'd take Faulk. Much better all-around player, protected the ball much better and scored more. Whatever advantage ED might have had in size and running ability was made up for by Faulk in many other areas.

Yes you are - it was a response to a discussion between Steven jackson and Dickerson.....

jap

Legend
A myth?

Interesting, I'm just going to have to disagree with you on this one, Dickerson would have NEVER been caught from behind as many time as Faulk was.

Answer this, you think ED would have been caught from behind like Marshall was in SB 34? (it was almost laughable he got caught, speed wasn't Marshalls thing, when he was a Ram)

I did ONCE see Darrell Green run down Dick, once... and that was it, if you're comparing game speed of these two backs as equal...we'll just have to agree to disagree.

You seem to be more than a little too emotional on this issue. How many times have you seen Marshall gun it at full speed? I have seen Eric running at top speed much, much more than Faulk.

Eric was the fastest of the top backs of his era---faster than a young Barry Sanders---and he certainly was faster than Marshall. Marshall flashed that 4.4 speed more often in his early RB days with the Colts. I recall he ran for over 180 yards in the Pro Bowl his rookie season. However, Marshall had his knee scoped several times while with the Rams. Besides, his running style where he used his blockers intelligently saw him marshaling his speed until he was in open field. Still, I saw Marshall move to Warp One for short spurts several times even while with the Horns.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Eric Dickerson is my favorite Ram of all time.

I just loved to watch him run. No running back had his vision for just completely avoiding where the defense was and gliding(yeah he just seemed to glide) right past it.

That said, Faulk was all-world. He did it all and if I had to pick one player it would probably be him. I just loved watching ED run.

Faulk's longest runs as a Ram:

58 36 71 44 52 40 20= 321

Dickerson's:

85 66 43 42 57= 293

That's a difference of 28 yards with Faulk having two more seasons.

To me, Dickerson was the ultimate "home run hitter" of running backs(I'm talking about just running). On any play he could be GONE. That was exciting.

Faulk could also be gone--but it may have happened through the air as much as the ground.

Fortunately this team had them both.

And while I love Zac Stacy---it would be nice to have that "home run hitter" running back again. They are rare.

Is this the PARam I would know from the Huddle and long ago the Herd?