Dickerson versus Faulk

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
When you look at it Dickerson was a slightlt better runner, but Faulk was also great runner and did everything. S-Jax is kind of a mix of the two, size and speed, but was with such a poor team so long, we may never know what he was able to do. Dickerson could not block very well (when we did pass) and was not a good receiver after Nolan Cromwell laid him out in camp in 1984. It's not that he couldn't catch, it's just that he wasn't a willing reciever . . . but from 1983-87 we were so run heavy, that it was just better to give him the ball.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I made a poll on this topic some months back... it ended up more than a little vitriolic.

Fan is short for fanatic after all...

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh, didn't know it was a big deal . . .yeah, I guess people have their favs

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Oh, didn't know it was a big deal . . .yeah, I guess people have their favs
I didn't guess it would be either.

Of course part of the issue is that Dickerson is a traditional RB and Faulk isn't traditional at all and is almost a hybrid WR.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
so much changes in the NFL between different era's of football. schemes, players, RULES etc. gets a little apples and oranges sometimes.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Can we agree that they are both top 10 ever. Maybe 5.

reggae

When you look at it Dickerson was a slightlt better runner, but Faulk was also great runner and did everything. S-Jax is kind of a mix of the two, size and speed, but was with such a poor team so long, we may never know what he was able to do. Dickerson could not block very well (when we did pass) and was not a good receiver after Nolan Cromwell laid him out in camp in 1984. It's not that he couldn't catch, it's just that he wasn't a willing reciever . . . but from 1983-87 we were so run heavy, that it was just better to give him the ball.
Dickerson was an exponentially better runner. Receiving wise. Robinson didn't ask much from his RB's. Or even his wideouts in that regard. So really what you are wondering is how would Faulk have fared in the Robinson offense.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Dickerson was a better runner, Faulk is more elusive and probably most important he was smarter, understood the game better and could read the defenses as good as any QB out there, he just understood the game.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
But to be fair Dickerson did run behind the greatest run blocking OL possibly of all time. He wasn't asked to do much more than student body right and student body left. He was focused on being just a runner, Faulk was depended on to do much more than that. What did a Martz playbook have 200 plays?

Dickerson was the greatest pure runner IMO. Faulk is the greatest offensive football player. Even though it gets said that Jerry Rice is the greatest player which is just bullshit.

Last edited:

SierraRam

Recreational User
Both were fantastic, HOF RB's. However, the Rams were one-dimensional with Dickerson; with Faulk, we were anything but predictable. Between 1999-2001, Marshall averaged nearly 100 yards rushing & another 60 receiving. He averaged over 5 yards per carry for those 3 years, also. E.D. only had one season with an average carry over 5 yards (1984). Over their careers, Dickerson averaged 4.4 to Faulk's 4.3.

Maybe E.D. was a little better runner, but I'd take the better football player: Faulk. This is not a knock on E.D. Love that guy! But I can't think of any back I'd take over the Great Marshall Faulk.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
2 things to remember about the Rams during Dickerson's 4-1/2 seasons prior to the trade. They didn't have a QB, unless old Ferragamo, Kemp, Dieter Brock and Steve Dils works for you. Then they traded for Everett, who was a rookie in '86, and injured in '87. Faulk had Warner. If you thought Faulk was all-world with the GSOT, I rather doubt he'd have the same success with Dickerson's Rams.

Secondly, Dickerson was the Rams' offense. (On a side note, he should have been the highest paid RB in the NFL, but Georgia and Shaw were one of the cheapest owners in the NFL.) Faulk was one of many weapons.

Btw, that superior Oline got stuffed more times than you'd think.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Secondly, Dickerson was the Rams' offense. (On a side note, he should have been the highest paid RB in the NFL, but Georgia and Shaw were one of the cheapest owners in the NFL.) Faulk was one of many weapons.
Georgia had Nothing to do with running the team then, It was Carroll Rosenbloom that ran the team. And I'm not sure if shaw was with the team at that point in time.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Marshall is the epitome of an all around back. Was ED better as a pure runner? Maybe. But even that is debatable. Speed is the only aspect of ED's game where he may have a clear advantage. Marshall had just as much power as well as having better vision and agility. Lets not forget ball security too, ED fumbled 78 times in his 12 year career; in comparison Marshall only put the ball on the ground 36 times. Marshall also offered much more as a receiver and pass blocker. Marshall was an all around talent who could have been a Pro Bowl caliber receiver if he wanted to. ED was more of the pure runner.

I'll take Marshall any day of the week. Hell (I know I'm biased as a kid growing up in the 2000s) I'd take Steven over ED just slightly. This isn't a knock on ED, its more of a testament to how truly complete Marshall & Steven were as FEATURE backs. Lets also not forget that the two of them were great leaders on the Rams and had an incredible knowledge of the game (I wasn't alive when ED was playing so I can't speak for him).

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I have seen them both play, Dickerson is a Great RB, But Faulk is the better all-around Player and has 'Football-Smarts' If I had to pick one for my Team, It would be Faulk. Without him the GSOT would not have been any-were near as good!! IMHO

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
For the era of football they each played in they were IMO the best , which would have adapted to the others era ? I think neither wooud have been as good as the other.
IOW Marshal in a ground and pound offense would have been great but not durable enough to do what Dickerson did
ED in a Martz type offense wouldn't have been the rec. Marshal was nor the coach on the field or even as good a blocker.
So just because they are considered to play the same position they really didn't.
Kinda like comparing an F250's ability to pull your boat to you Lexus ability to impress the babes.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
Whilst I respect what Dickerson did, Faulk was one if my fav players growing up.

11years old running round with a Faulk jersey on in England in the year 2000 when your average joe had no clue about the NFL will get you some funny looks.

Faulk for me, plus he was a huge part of the GSOT

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
2 things to remember about the Rams during Dickerson's 4-1/2 seasons prior to the trade. They didn't have a QB, unless old Ferragamo, Kemp, Dieter Brock and Steve Dils works for you. Then they traded for Everett, who was a rookie in '86, and injured in '87. Faulk had Warner. If you thought Faulk was all-world with the GSOT, I rather doubt he'd have the same success with Dickerson's Rams.

Btw, that superior Oline got stuffed more times than you'd think.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
This was one of my All Time Fav games. Lots of history and characters are shown in this short vid,,, and of course there is DICKERSON....