Defensive tweaks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
So what the hell happened to our defense. It's the same guys with a
Few exceptions:

Webster instead of EJ Gaines
Joyner instead of TJ McDonald
Barwin instead of Hayes

I've went back and watched all three games focusing on the defense. Here is what really sticks out:

The Colts game we played well.

The skins game we obviously gave up huge amounts of yards in the run. Donald's first game back and the Dline got pushed around. Barron and Ogletree were getting manhandled by shooting guards and instead of filling gaps were spending too much time reading where the RB was going or just guessing. Rams pass defense was pretty good until the last TD where Trumaine cramped up and Skins went after Our backup CB with Kayvin also going out earlier. Against the pass Olgeltree and Barron showed their inability to stay with underneath Wr's.

Against the Niners. Run defense improved for sure. Dline winning battles and Barron really stepped up in run support. Olgeltree still struggling. Pass defense fell apart on many levels. Barwin drops back too much. He needs to rush the passer or be replaced. He is no use in no mans land. Underneath routes were wide open. Olgeltree. Barron and our safety's are just too late covering these in Zone coverage.

Supposedly Son of Bum is the defensive Genius to get us right.. I have my doubts.

Tweaks we need:

1 Everyone healthy. Webster back should help if he is as good as Bum says. With Joyner out and Cody questionable we may see another harsh day for our defense.

2. Barwin is in many regards a drop off from Will Hayes. He can't push the pocket or set vs the run like Hayes. I would force him to stop Roving around and get to the dam QB. If he can't be a force va the run I replace him.

3 Olgeltree - He has to get better vs the run. He has to get way better in coverage underneath. If I see the same crap vs Dallas I consider moving him to OLB to replace Barwin and next man up at ILB. I know this doesn't happen in the real world but something has to change.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Honestly, except for a few games last year, our defense wasn’t great. We’re generating a lot more turnovers this year. It will get better.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Alexander replaced mcdonald at SS, Joyner has replaced Alexander at FS, but drops down to cover the slot when another DB is added. That's where Joyner plays his best football. Without Joyner on Sunday, things will HAVE to change. NRC should fill the nickel spot if Webster can go.

I thought OTree was turning into an outstanding OLB just before his season ending injury. I would like to see him return to the outside as well.

The Rams simply have to have a better pass rush just to protect our secondary. The run defense has started to improve since that skins beatdown 2 weeks ago. It has to continue getting better if we are gonna slow Dallas.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Unfortunately our defense is not built for a 3-4. I'd like to see us go 4-3. A little hard for a midseason change, but that's how we could improve.

Ogle stop guessing and improvising, and hit your designed gap.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Maurice Alexander has been a major drop off and Joyner an upgrade at FS, Alexander really has been a disappointment IMO and has been non existent in supporting the run. Joyner might be out against the Cowboys, which puts more pressure on Cody Davis. Ogletree has had a bad two game stretch and needs to play better, I believe he's seeing more guards because of the three man front and was not ready for this.

Again I understand in Phillips system an big ugly is not needed at NT, but IMO with Aaron Donald, who is always shooting the gaps, it leaves lanes exposed and having a big NT eating up the center & guard would enable Ogletree to fill the gap unmolested, but that has not happened. Robert Quinn struggles to hold the edge as well so that is also a concern.

Phillips stated he might move Brockers from the nose to Defensive End position to allow him to make more plays and I'm assuming that would put Tyrunn Walker at NT, who although is about the same weight as Brockers is more stout being a couple of inches shorter so that might help and freeing up Brockers is a good thing.

@Legatron4 is correct Rams are forcing more turnovers, but IMO, they continue to struggle against the Run giving up 3-4 yards a clip and that gives the offense a major advantage in the passing game....Looking for major stops of no gain or only a yard, unfortunately, we have not seen that. Overall this will be a great test as I need to see something that showcases some improvement because they gave up 39 points to a 49er team, who is not very good on offense.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I read somewhere yesterday Wade said he is moving Brockers out from nose T to end and put Walker in at nose. I like that move and think Brockers will be better at containing the run.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Webster back should help if he is as good as Bum says.
I wanna get a good look at this guy too....

With Joyner out and Cody questionable we may see another harsh day for our defense.
Maybe they give Marqui Christian some snaps....Our safeties have been terrible at run support....esp. in the Skins game...

I think the defense is getting better...the Colts were terrible.....the Skins had their way....and the 9ers....hell, that was a shocker....all signs that we are adjusting to not only the new scheme....but the players around them....
Barwin & Quinn can really help us out. Tree needs to up his game....I'd still move Barron back to SS....Brockers/Westbrooks/Walker should be our early down defenders....stopping the run...and creating space for the ILB's to attack the ballcarrier (Elliot).find a package that puts pressure on the QB outta the rest.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack

Maybe they give Marqui Christian some snaps....Our safeties have been terrible at run support....esp. in the Skins game...

I think the defense is getting better...the Colts were terrible.....the Skins had their way....and the 9ers....hell, that was a shocker....all signs that we are adjusting to not only the new scheme....but the players around them....
Barwin & Quinn can really help us out. Tree needs to up his game....I'd still move Barron back to SS....Brockers/Westbrooks/Walker should be our early down defenders....stopping the run...and creating space for the ILB's to attack the ballcarrier (Elliot).find a package that puts pressure on the QB outta the rest.

I’d be stoked if we gave Christian some snaps. He’s earned his chance. Countess blew his.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I read somewhere yesterday Wade said he is moving Brockers out from nose T to end and put Walker in at nose. I like that move and think Brockers will be better at containing the run.

Brockers will win a lot of 1 on 1s, the DL just needs to watch for the run on their way to the QB. I trust WP and we have all watched mostly the same players play good D in the past.

Ram65

Legend
Cody Davis Questionable!
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2017/...les-rams-dallas-cowboys-injury-report-preview

Name POS Injury Wed. Status Thu. Status Fri. Status Game Status
Malcolm Brown RB Hamstring Full Full Full
Kayvon Webster CB Shoulder Full Full Full
Tavon Austin WR Concussion Limited Full Full
Sammy Watkins WR Concussion Limited Full Full
Connor Barwin OLB Rest DNP Full Full
Andrew Whitworth T Rest DNP Full Full
John Sullivan C Hip DNP Limited Limited Questionable
Cody Davis S Quad - - DNP Questionable
Lamarcus Joyner S Hamstring DNP DNP DNP Out

JRobinson

MiLB
Feel like this thread should be "sticky".

This is obviously not the same scheme as last year which is why we've seen a drop off in performance; naturally. There are players that don't fit, but can we be real and pragmatic here? It's going to take a draft or two to 'right the ship' in a way to completely develop a dominate unit. It's just not in the cards for this unit to be dominate IMO. That's not a dog on Phillips, that's a simple observation of personnel.

As some have stated, we haven't heard from Alexander, Barwin, Quinn, or even Tree that much in this young season. Doesn't mean it can't/won't change, it just means that they havnt made significant plays to be effective yet.

But then you see guys like Walker, Longacre, and even the limited Ebukam have a positive impact. Why? Because they FIT a 3-4 scheme.

It's going to be interesting to see Wade make the necessary adjustments to be better. I believe in him, he has a very good track record; this isn't in question. Then question is when and how. I can't be over anxious, it's not fair to the coaching staff or to myself as a die hard.

Ram65

Legend
Barron and Ogletree were getting manhandled by shooting guards and instead of filling gaps were spending too much time reading where the RB was going or just guessing.

I noticed that too. Add in Brookers and Donald firing up field around their defenders not through and big holes for runnings were there to exploit. Ogletree/Barron seem to guess wrong where the running back was going.

Webster instead of EJ Gaines
Joyner instead of TJ McDonald
Barwin instead of Hayes

2. Barwin is in many regards a drop off from Will Hayes. He can't push the pocket or set vs the run like Hayes. I would force him to stop Roving around and get to the dam QB. If he can't be a force va the run I replace him.

I was on Hayes not being as effective when playing full time. He did not get the pass rush as he did a few years ago. I do think he was much better than Barwin has been. Hayes was solid against the run and got some push on the pass. Could be the 4-3 over the 3-4 where Barwin is not getting positive effect on plays.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The loss of Cody Davis is a blow. CD has been the main addition when the Nickle is employed. With both Joyner & Davis out we will see Blake Countess in @ FS. BC started 2 gms last season for LJ & played great!

There is some pluses & minus with this. BC is much better in run support than in pass coverage. Wade might have to change what he has done since pre season & leave the FS Countess in @ the FS post & insert NRC in the Nickle (to cover the slot). The Cowboys SL receiver (Beasley)is very good & NRC would be the best coverage DB to fill that assignment IMO.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

I agree CHAMP...I would love to see more of outside corner Webster too.

On our back up Strong Safety Marqui Christian stands a good chance to dress & see a lot of plays Sunday...thats good. If Mo Alexander does not get his posterior in gear soon I will be ready for a change when the bye comes with Christian.

I have no problem with you suggested first down DL personnel line up. I would also insert ISLB'er Littleton on early run downs too

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
With Joyner and Davis having injury issues, looks like our 3rd round pick John Johnson will be getting more reps Will be interesting to see how he will do.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The only "tweaks" we might see are replacement of some starters.

This defensive scheme is proven. The players need to execute it but they're not. And btw our defense did not play well vs the Colts, they were soft as F and if we hadn't jumped ahead due to terrible QB play by the Colts and their shooting themselves in the foot we would have given up a metric @$$ ton of yards on the ground.

There are no changes in scheme coming. It's a simplistic deal where the players need to produce plain and simple. And lastly I see a LOT of people doubting Wade Phillips here and elsewhere, and think it's premature. Why waste your time doubting him when his record clearly demonstrates what he's capable of? Look at the performance of defenses in their first year under him.

Truth is Donald holding out hurt this team. Quinn playing like he's in a wheelchair hurts this team. Our two "speedy" ILBs getting road graded in the run game hurts this team. Alexander looking lost hurts this team. It's the players doing it wrong. Let's settle down and let him tune it by getting guys to execute or replacing them. By season's end there's every reason to think this defense will be among the league leaders.

Oh and lastly let's quit acting like last year's defense was elite. I see a lot of that too and it's not true. They will be better this year in just about every metric IMO, think there's a really good chance of that.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I thought OTree was turning into an outstanding OLB just before his season ending injury. I would like to see him return to the outside as well.

He was a pretty damn good MLB last year, he played some good football. So it has to be something this year because he doesn't look like the same guy right now.

A lot of missed tackles too.

Over pursuing a lot too and I think the two are very, very related.

It could be a sign they are still learning so I'm holding out hope for improvement..........

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I have faith that Wade and his staff will right this ship.

Our Special Teams needs to play better as well.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Ogle stop guessing and improvising, and hit your designed gap.

That's been Ogletree's issue when he learns a new scheme, happened with Walton and Williams's scheme the first third of the season. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt if he improves by midseason.