Deep Thoughts From Mike Martz

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
Martz's offense took a toll on QB's. I say no thanks to that plan.
With the old rules. Rewatching the 99 NFC Title game and Superbowl Warner took a ton of hits....almost every hit would be a flag today. Hitting "late" by todays standards, diving into the legs, touching the head....a QB would have a much better chance of standing up to it today.

fearsomefour

Legend
This is a great article....THIS is the kind of work NFL Network should be doing....instead we get TD dance rankings and holiday recipes....terrible.
Anyway, I love Martz. "Outstanding!!". That is the highest Martz compliment. At 63 he may be more willing to work as an OC vs. the overall work/stress load of being a HC. It does make one wonder what Martz would do with Tavon Austin and Cook.
What he said about understanding how to exploit the defenses "rules" is very revealing. The interesting part is Martz was very much a ground and pound coach in college. I think he understands well that the rules and designed now to favor a big play passing offense.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Martz is the ONLY guy in football who I genuinely would like to sit down with for an extended conversation. Just love his fearless innovation.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Martz is the ONLY guy in football who I genuinely would like to sit down with for an extended conversation. Just love his fearless innovation.
As good as he was at the "X's and O's" part of things, it was his attitude that won me over. I won't defend every, single decision he ever made but his philosophy that defenses had to adjust to him and not the other way around is what I really liked. I can't stand when an offense settles for taking what the defense will give.

I'm not saying to force bad plays but I think you have to have the mindset that you are good enough at what you're doing that it's the defense that is going to have to adjust, not your offense that's going to have to tailor it's gameplan around what the defense does.

reggae

i could get all kinds of crap for saying this but i still say we should offer him the job to come back. bring him onto the practice field to see an offense oozing with talent and he'll want it. theres not a single link from his Rams organization that threw him out and the one today. Bet Fisher would love him but im just guessing. the talent on offense has exploded and these are the exact type of players Martz would thrive with. a mad scientists on defense AND offense. crap would be insane!
Fisher would most definitely NOT love him! Philosophies are diametrically opposed. Fisher would kill him for the turnovers alone. Martz was good for that team. That year. I would love to hear Bulger give his opinion of Martz. I can't say for sure. But, I'm guessing it would be far less flattering that Faulk's or Warner's.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Fisher would most definitely NOT love him! Philosophies are diametrically opposed. Fisher would kill him for the turnovers alone. Martz was good for that team. That year. I would love to hear Bulger give his opinion of Martz. I can't say for sure. But, I'm guessing it would be far less flattering that Faulk's or Warner's.
Bulger would never have been a starter in the league if not for Martz. Bulger wasn't rolling his eyes on the sideline behind Martz's back.

reggae

Bulger would never have been a starter in the league if not for Martz. Bulger wasn't rolling his eyes on the sideline behind Martz's back.
Purely speculation to say that. I'm pretty sure he was often less than satisfied with the blocking schemes tho.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
An interesting article from 2006 about when Mike Martz returned as Lions OC to face Marc Bulger and the Rams.
----------------------------------------
http://www.realfootball365.com/articles/rams/3971

In Martz Madness, Rams make final score
By Steve Reynolds | Sunday, October 01, 2006
rams.png

When former St. Louis Rams' head coach Mike Martz entered the Dome for Sunday's game, it was like old times, especially from the scoreboard's perspective.

Like many of the pundits predicted, the Rams and Lions exchanged offensive fireworks all afternoon, with the Rams pulling it out at the end, 41-34. However, excessive penalties on both sides marred the entire contest and despite the Rams' victory, this week's grades aren't stellar overall. The wild shootout saw the Rams find their offense but lose their defense; maybe they'll find it where they misplaced their special teams:

Offense

Quarterback: It seems Marc Bulger has finally shaken off the rust and found the form he is capable of. Bulger has often been accused of being a "system quarterback," in that his success of previous years should be attributed to Martz' offense rather than his own merit. Bulger has proven that he is still among the more accurate passers in the game and threw for over 300 yards for a second consecutive week.

While not quite perfect in the end zone yet, Bulger broke the Rams' offensive malaise to the tune of three touchdown passes. If anything, Bulger is a better quarterback without Martz, as his having yet to throw an interception this season will attest. Grade: A

Running backs: Memo to Steven Jackson: Auditions for Dancing with the Stars are closed. Jackson had a respectable 81 yards rushing on Sunday but his penchant toward halting his momentum in the backfield is turning potentially good performances into average ones. When Jackson learns that he can't look to make the highlight films on every play and simply runs north and south, he'll be difficult to stop.

On a more positive note, Jackson is proving to be a reliable receiving threat, contributing 65 yards. Stephen Davis illustrated that he is more than just an insurance policy and punished the Lions late in relief of Jackson. Grade: B

Receivers: There is simply no better starting duo in the league than Torry Holt and Issac Bruce. The Rams' receivers abused the Lions' secondary all afternoon; each reached the 100-yard plateau and added a touchdown apiece. Rookie tight end Joe Klopfenstein caught his first NFL touchdown. Grade: A

Offensive Line: Given Orlando Pace's absence due to the lingering effects of a concussion, the Rams' line could have been a complete disaster. However, the revamped unit played well considering it was without arguably the best tackle in the league, yielding only a single sack. The Lions were able to occasionally get in the backfield and harass Bulger, but it was a solid effort nonetheless. Grade: B +

Defense

Defensive Line: Leonard Little did his usual dependable job in harrying Lions quarterback Jon Kitna, earning a sack in the process. However, Little's excessive arguing with officials after a roughing the passer call led to an inexcusable additional 15-yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct. The Rams cannot afford such ridiculous mistakes, especially in tight games.

Rookie defensive end Victor Adeyanju showed that he can play run defense and the announcers actually mentioned Jimmy Kennedy's name as he got a paw up and batted down a pass. However, Kitna was able to sit in the pocket with impunity and target his receivers all day long. The Rams must do a better job of generating pressure. Grade: C

Linebackers: Pisa Tinoisamoa tallied a sack and Will Witherspoon continues to prove that he is invaluable to the Rams' defense with his stellar play, but the Rams gave up 93 yards at nearly five yards per carry to running back Kevin Jones. Grade: C +

Secondary: Youngsters O.J. Atogwe and Jerome Carter each contributed an interception and Corey Chavous was a tackling machine, but the Rams' defenders were absolutely gutted by Lions receivers Roy Williams and former Ram Mike Furrey.

Mike Martz knows his former team well and was able to take advantage of weak spots in the Rams' zone. The Rams are a team still searching for a defensive identity and the secondary's sieve-like performance will prove terminal against teams with defenses St. Louis can't drop 40 points on. Grade: C

Special Teams: In a word, frustrating. The Rams looked as if they had left the ineptitude of their special teams in the past but reality had a way of reasserting itself on Sunday. The Rams' coverage unit was absolutely abysmal, allowing 237 yards on kickoff returns. Jeff Wilkins added four field goals but missed a critical fourth-quarter attempt that would have put the game away. Matt Turk was solid, bailing the Rams' offense out the few times it stalled deep in its own territory. Grade: C

Martz homecoming was as advertised, a wild offensive showcase with the lead changing five times in the second half. The erratic defense, likewise, paid homage to past Martz-led teams, earning a plethora of penalties and being unable to stop the opposition's passing attack. The Rams will definitely take the odd, though nonetheless hard- earned, victory.

Indeed, the match with Mad Mike was everything it was cracked up to be.

MrMotes

Starter

Seemed to me Bulger lost his will to play the game as soon as Martz left. I never saw him roll his eyes at Martz the way he did at Linehan.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
With the old rules. Rewatching the 99 NFC Title game and Superbowl Warner took a ton of hits....almost every hit would be a flag today. Hitting "late" by todays standards, diving into the legs, touching the head....a QB would have a much better chance of standing up to it today.

They would just hit the QB differently, the hits would still come. Remember Cutler getting smashed play after play? Most of the current rules were in effect when he was getting killed.

The other thing is this. I'm not sure Bradford could run Martz's system. In order to operate MaxQ the QB has to understand coverages and be able to read defenses and go all the way through progressions. Is Bradford able to do that at the level that system requires?

MrMotes

Starter

Martz wasn't just an innovator and a genius, the game is genuinely different today, in large part, because of him...

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

As mok said it was Linny he rolled his eyes behind his back and IMO it was probably while thinking "dude you ain't Mike Martz"

I agree though that like the other coaches who hired Martz in spite of their diametrically opposed philosophies , Fisher would only hire Martz if he was desperate and wanting him to save his job ,without near the talent on those teams at his disposal , that said this team LOOKS LIKE a team drafted for Martz ,I don't think we are as talented as that team but we are close.
Martz made QB's by MAKING the recs. precise and not letting up until they were ,virtually all his recs. tell of how much Martz did to make them be precise and how much they learned from the man.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Seemed to me Bulger lost his will to play the game as soon as Martz left. I never saw him roll his eyes at Martz the way he did at Linehan.

He had his most productive season under Linehan and the only time in his career he was voted to the Pro Bowl was under Linehan (his previous appearance was because other QB's were "hurt" and declined to play).

But when the OL degraded he for sure lost interest in playing IMO. Somewhere around the middle of the second to last season in STL he just stopped wanting to stand and deliver and take the hit. I don't think it had to do with Linehan but I would agree that he didn't like him.

As an OC Linehan is actually pretty decent.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Martz wasn't just an innovator and a genius, the game is genuinely different today, in large part, because of him...

I agree with that 100%, the passing game we see today has his finger prints on it.

3 wide sets are the base set for most teams these days where it used to be something you only saw a handful of times a game. Martz did that all day.

fearsomefour

Legend
They would just hit the QB differently, the hits would still come. Remember Cutler getting smashed play after play? Most of the current rules were in effect when he was getting killed.

The other thing is this. I'm not sure Bradford could run Martz's system. In order to operate MaxQ the QB has to understand coverages and be able to read defenses and go all the way through progressions. Is Bradford able to do that at the level that system requires?
Who knows?
It would be interesting to find out.
Martz was able to a string of unheralded QBs (Green, Warner, Bulger) and make them very good.

MrMotes

Starter
He had his most productive season under Linehan and the only time in his career he was voted to the Pro Bowl was under Linehan (his previous appearance was because other QB's were "hurt" and declined to play).

But when the OL degraded he for sure lost interest in playing IMO. Somewhere around the middle of the second to last season in STL he just stopped wanting to stand and deliver and take the hit. I don't think it had to do with Linehan but I would agree that he didn't like him.

I agree Linehan was/is a pretty good OC but if you recall the Rams offense got off to a rock start and Linehan began incorporating some of Martz's plays into his offense and then things started clicking. In a lot of ways that was the Rams year with Martz's offense and we've been terrible on offense ever since, including under two more years of Linehan...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Who knows?
It would be interesting to find out.
Martz was able to a string of unheralded QBs (Green, Warner, Bulger) and make them very good.

But other than Warner each of them really blossomed under another HC.

And IMO Warner is just an outlier like no other we've seen at QB. Lighting in a bottle.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.

I give most of that credit to Jackson that year. he made Linehan and Bulger look good. getting over 2,000 all purpose yards can do that.

And in defense of Bulger his team quit on him at the end. remember the quite Bulger finally calling ppl out for quitting and not playing 100% and Jackson had his back

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I give most of that credit to Jackson that year. he made Linehan look good. getting over 2,000 all purpose yards can do that.

And in defense of Bulger his team quit on him at the end. remember the quite Bulger finally calling ppl out for quitting and not playing 100% and Jackson had his back

I do remember that yes, it was depressing to watch that team because there were a lot of players who had the terrible combination of not being very good and not giving a shit.

Jackson led the league in yards from scrimmage that year, he put up what was at the time 5th most in history and still stands at 6th. He and Bulger honed that little screen play and it was really good.