DeAndre Hopkins unhappy with contract is holding out

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Eric Fisher just got a contract extension and he hasn't even been near as good and came from same draft. Starting to see why Nuke wants one.

Athos

Legend
I find it odd that the Texans havent been trying to get a deal done. Hes clearly worth the money and the sooner you get it done the cheaper itll end up being

Yea. Just saw the option picked up as well. So, in two years then he's priced out then and if you franchise him and his production holds, they wont afford him anyway unless they think they'll compete within that time frame.

Regardless, I don't think these things ever work out well and are somewhat petty, but considering how often, not much, $$ is guaranteed, I usually understand new deals. And it's not like the Hags contract issue. It's still his rookie deal.

As for the Austin comparison. Well, he'll be making 12-14 right? Hopkins will make half that.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Well I can see this from both sides.

The Texans can get him cheap for two more years then franchise him for a third.

He wants to get a big fat check up front and a nice extension. I would too.

Maybe it makes good business sense to do a deal now, but I have an issue with players who want to redo deals and hold out to try to gain leverage. It's dumb and guys like that so often seem to prove its the money to them, not the production. They care too much about getting it NOW. And often don't play at the level they have. They have the high end free agency syndrome that scares me away.

If he does a 5 year redo I bet in three years if he is doing well and the market has (which it will) increased due to the cap that he will hold out again.

Holding out is no way to negotiate. If I was their GM I'd tell him and his agent if he want's to talk we wil talk.........once he shows up to work. Until then he's is just an unexcused absence. I wouldn't get petty and fine him but I would stand firm.

Want to talk in earnest? OK, we do too. Get out here and play in earnest and we will talk like grown ups.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
3rd highest paid wr on his own team

Understandable, but this is the reality of the new rokie cap and CBA. The Texans know there is a really good chance he will leave if he cannot break the bank on a new deal. And make no mistake about it, high level players like him are getting break the bank deals. It's just a matter of when he does it, and they have to make the decision to rent him for 2-3 more years or buy him with associated risks.

Another high stakes game of chicken IMO.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I see both sides, but personally since this is USUALLY done with 1 year left, I don't like Nuk doing this...they drafted Fuller and the dude from Ohio State for a reason....
The GM is known for taking care of guys that perform...didn't Johnson get a deal done a few years back?

Athos

Legend
Understandable, but this is the reality of the new rokie cap and CBA. The Texans know there is a really good chance he will leave if he cannot break the bank on a new deal. And make no mistake about it, high level players like him are getting break the bank deals. It's just a matter of when he does it, and they have to make the decision to rent him for 2-3 more years or buy him with associated risks.

Usually pisses me off too seeing players go about it this way, especially after recently signed new contracts. But I mean, just being "technical" this is his last year and had no control over his option year being picked up. Bennet is a douche for example. Who's also 30 now.

Some ways I don't blame players. Guaranteed money for them isn't like other sports. As in hardly, and usually not much. Don't blame him wanting to try and cash in because injuries can happen at any time in those two years, and then he's possibly fucked out of what he could make.

I mean shit, he's only making about 300K more than Brian fucking Quick.

http://overthecap.com/position/wide-receiver/

Look at how many garbage WRs are making more coin, at significantly less production. I'd be pissed too. Especially when he's been THE offense for Texas.