Day 3

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
There are some changes in the practice routing from last year. The mid practice stretching session has not happened this year as of yet. After they stretch and warm up there is generally a special teams session followed by unit work. While the special teams are working the linemen are usually working on either drills or assignments.

Then the team breaks up into units for skills and agility work. I have been watching the running backs for the most part during that phase. Then they start mixing in the quarterbacks with each skill unit, usually the running backs first before the tight ends and wide receivers.

They them move onto red zone work that is usually 2-3 receivers and/or running backs matched against 4 defenders. They close out the first half with 7 on 7 before they have punt drill.

While they are doing the 7 on 7 stuff the linemen are locked in the Oklahoma drill which is essentially one-one pass rush/blocking drill with all the offensive linemen in place.

During the punt practice on the far end they will keep working on special teams pursuit. Today the gunners went through a drill designed to help them get free.

When they go to 11 on 11 its almost exclusively first string vs first string and so. Today they also mixed in two minute situational drills with a clock and one time out.

QB-Sam's deep passes look effortless, I was with a friend today and my youngest son and all commented on how easy it looked for him to throw long. Clemens continues to bail on drills and take off and run even with no pass rush. Why they don't make him stand in and throw is beyond me. There was an 11 on 11 rep where he did need to take off however as no one, no one at all got blocked by the second unit. Clemens got the majority of the second team reps today and there was no Hekker offense practice.

RB-I thought Richardson out performed Pead today in the agility drills. Later on in the practice I saw a formation with Richardson split out wide, not in the slot but out wide in a twins formation.

They did a blocking drill versus what looked like a boxing "heavy bag" today. Monday is in pads and I really want to see how Pead and Richardson hold up there. I thought Cunningham had the best blocking form today.

Ganaway still looks slow in the agility drills but I will say he looks much better in the 11 on 11 running reps he gets. He has a decent body lean and runs behind his pads. He uses his blockers well...bullets aren't flying yet.

WR-Helmick got reps in the gunner drill. Given that the first five receivers are as much in stone as anything ever is there appears to be a spot open for him to grab. The crowd today cheered everything he did anything and he had several good catches. I think he could be an inch or so taller than Amendola and faster but not as quick.

Both Harkey and Cook had very good catches today. Harkey works in the seam from either Hback or inline and Cook all over the place. Cook in particular burned Finnegan deep at one point in 11 on 11.

A kid named Phil Lutzenkirchen (henceforth to be known as Phil Lutz) made his first appearance today after an ankle injury kept him out for the first two days. They pair up the tight ends for a few reps on the Oklahoma drill with a tight end. Seems cruel and unusual and most of the time a tight end gets blown up. However today Phil Lutz stoned Gerald Rivers. He also had some really good catches one in particular for a TD in red zone drill. I am biased because I have a good friend in Illinois that is his cousin. Phil Lutz is 6:03 and 258 out of Auburn.

I thought Pettis and Quick had the best practices of the receivers. Pettis caught two touchdown I believe and one was aided by a double pump by Sam and stop and go up the sideline. Sam hit several deep passes today aided off fake pumps.

In the three days so far I have noticed a lot more quick hitches, and bubble screens to the receivers so far. I am not so much a fan of that as I just find it interesting that so far they are doing that a lot more than last year.

Oline and Dline-Second unit in particular struggled in 11 on 11. Clemens and Davis would have been beheaded on a couple of plays. And Sam would have been killed by Quinn on one rep against Long.

In the Oklahoma drill Quinn killed Long today. There is no other way to put it. The drills were right in front and I think Quinn won every one of them.

Brockers was fought to a standstill initially by Barnes on a couple of reps but he is so strong he just kept pushing Barnes back....

Chris Williams returned to the first string, I think it may continue this way for some time until they settle on one of them.

Together Nysehke and Washington struggled with their mates in 11 on 11 but in the Oklahoma drills both had some moments where they looked very good.

I thought with the linemen and later on in the 11 on 11 the team just needs to start hitting for real. I noticed Dunbar and Ogletree giving some more significant nudges than may have seemed necessary. I think the linemen need to start playing real football.

Linebackers-There is not a practice where someone does not send me a text message or tweet asking about Ray Ray. Its a great football name, he looks the part and I did get a good look at him today in some of the pass drills. He has decent lateral movement, runs around blocks instead of taking them on and seems to be better at pass defense than the run.

DBacks-Giordano and McLeod are the second string right now. DStew and McDonald had a really good day defending the deep stuff. They got burned quite a bit on Thursday but recovered well today. Brandon McGee had quite a day with two interceptions on a tip drill and the other when he undercut a route. He looks very good so far.

Sunday is a closed special teams only practice with pads. Monday will be the real thing.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Awesome breakdown jimmeh.

I'm hearing rumblings that Pead got injured today. Did you see/hear anything about that?

A55VA6

Legend
Very nice! Thanks.

And I also heard Pead tweaked his hip or back. Hope it's nothing.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Another fine job of reporting, sir.

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I read about it on twitter, I know the lady that sent it out. But neither I nor my son or buddy saw it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
jimitroutboy said:
I read about it on twitter, I know the lady that sent it out. But neither I nor my son or buddy saw it.
Cool, thanks. Can't be too serious because nobody is trying to be the first to report it.
(hopefully that's the case).

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Thanks again for the insider dope Jimi.

Has anyone else had the thought that Fisher may be experimenting with Hekker with thoughts of rolling the dice with a roster spot and going with only two QBs? It seems like a "roll the dice" kind of move that Fish might gamble on to free up a roster spot for an extra WR, OL, or RB.

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
Ramhusker said:

Has anyone else had the thought that Fisher may be experimenting with Hekker with thoughts of rolling the dice with a roster spot and going with only two QBs? It seems like a "roll the dice" kind of move that Fish might gamble on to free up a roster spot for an extra WR, OL, or RB.

I have but that is because of my pathological dislike for Clemens.....

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
I contacted the lady that sent out that tweet about Pead. She said he was stepping gingerly and trying to stretch it out but never went to the trainers or left the field.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That's good news. Just a tweak.
Thanks, man.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
A55VA6 said:
Hopefully that means it was just a quick twist and it went away.

Yeah, let's hope just a tweak because it was a bad day around the league for that kind of thing. Pitta with a fractured hip and Maclin with a torn ACL. Both done for the year.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Pead did in fact spend time with Reggie (Head Trainer). I saw it happen. He went thru the LOS on a play action fake and got caught up in the wash. The play went away from him, and he was walking very gingerly back to the group.

he was met by Reggie, who took him behind the mass of players, and they spent roughly 5 minutes massaging and trying to stretch his lower back. It didn't appear to be serious, but with lower back issues you never know.

I am only guessing here, but it could merely be some sort of spasm. I am sure someone will "report" it sooner or later. Especially if it keeps him on the sidelines for any of the future practices.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CoachO said:
Pead did in fact spend time with Reggie (Head Trainer). I saw it happen. He went thru the LOS on a play action fake and got caught up in the wash. The play went away from him, and he was walking very gingerly back to the group.

he was met by Reggie, who took him behind the mass of players, and they spent roughly 5 minutes massaging and trying to stretch his lower back. It didn't appear to be serious, but with lower back issues you never know.

I am only guessing here, but it could merely be some sort of spasm. I am sure someone will "report" it sooner or later. Especially if it keeps him on the sidelines for any of the future practices.
Thanks Coach. Reggie "Magic Fingers" Scott probably already mystically healed him.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
X said:
CoachO said:

Thanks Coach. Reggie "Magic Fingers" Scott probably already mystically healed him.

I want to be massaged by Reggie.

nighttrain

Legend
jimitroutboy said:
Ramhusker said:

I have but that is because of my pathological dislike for Clemens.....
INDEED! I think this is an issue for all Ram fans, again, thanks for the review
train

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Angry Ram said:
X said:
CoachO said:

I want to be massaged by Reggie.

Somehow Angry, that's just wrong. I got a bad visual.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Ramhusker said:

I was thinking the same thing when Jimi reported the Hekker thing. Could it work? I mean, once you get down to your 3rd guy ... you are basically screwed anyways. And there are usually some vets out on the market that could be brought in.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
DT's

Other than our top three guys (Brockers, Cudjo ,Langford) I was wondering who will man the 4th DT spot. Those of you who have been to camp... how is Conrath looking? Has he added anything to that slight frame? When you look at the roster as it stands, he seems to be the only one with enough size to man that spot. I know Hayes played inside quite a bit, but he is best (as is Sims) being moved around at both DT/DE. If we have just one injury to the top 3, somebody needs to step into that rotation.