Day 3

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Re: DT's

ReddingRam said:
Other than our top three guys (Brockers, Cudjo ,Langford) I was wondering who will man the 4th DT spot. Those of you who have been to camp... how is Conrath looking? Has he added anything to that slight frame? When you look at the roster as it stands, he seems to be the only one with enough size to man that spot. I know Hayes played inside quite a bit, but he is best (as is Sims) being moved around at both DT/DE. If we have just one injury to the top 3, somebody needs to step into that rotation.

Conrath has indeed bulked up. It's amazing how these guys "get it" from year one to year two. Brockers changed his physique and now looks even more like a beast.

But to answer your question, yes Conrath does look bigger,, thicker. It's kinda ironic, he is getting all of the reps with the 2's, and next to him, (til Cudjo comes back) is Mason Brodine. They list Brodine at 6'7 270 but standing next to Conrath, he looks exactly how Conrath looked LAST YEAR. Standing side by side, you can really tell how much Conrath has developed. He is listed at 290 and it shows.

Just going off of last year, they really seem to like him. And that doesn't appear to have changed. IF he can stay healthy, look for him to be a part of the rotation inside, especially in passing situations. HE has a knack for batting down passed with that 6'7 frame and reach.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame

CoachO said:
ReddingRam said:
Other than our top three guys (Brockers, Cudjo ,Langford) I was wondering who will man the 4th DT spot. Those of you who have been to camp... how is Conrath looking? Has he added anything to that slight frame? When you look at the roster as it stands, he seems to be the only one with enough size to man that spot. I know Hayes played inside quite a bit, but he is best (as is Sims) being moved around at both DT/DE. If we have just one injury to the top 3, somebody needs to step into that rotation.

Conrath has indeed bulked up. It's amazing how these guys "get it" from year one to year two. Brockers changed his physique and now looks even more like a beast.

But to answer your question, yes Conrath does look bigger,, thicker. It's kinda ironic, he is getting all of the reps with the 2's, and next to him, (til Cudjo comes back) is Mason Brodine. They list Brodine at 6'7 270 but standing next to Conrath, he looks exactly how Conrath looked LAST YEAR. Standing side by side, you can really tell how much Conrath has developed. He is listed at 290 and it shows.

Just going off of last year, they really seem to like him. And that doesn't appear to have changed. IF he can stay healthy, look for him to be a part of the rotation inside, especially in passing situations. HE has a knack for batting down passed with that 6'7 frame and reach.

Thanks Coach O. That is what I was hoping to hear. Hopefully he will stay healthy this camp and we get tp see him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

CoachO said:
ReddingRam said:

Often wondered about Matt Conrath and the fact he rode the 53 player roster without seeing any action due to a knee?? Fisher must see something in this project. They said he had great eyes & instincts he could quickly locate the ball & did fight through clutter. Good motor, effort and hustle. Flashes a mean streak. Outstanding worker. Highly competitive. BUTT! he was a considered a big developmental five-technique DT who must prove he can overcome leverage deficiency where he always plays too upright & out of control. It will be interesting to see if the 2012 gamble on saving Matt to growing him and then turn him loose now here in TC 2013??

Brodine is listed as a DE on the roster..Sims & Hayes both listed @ DE play a heavy % of the time @ DT too. Both Sims & Hayes are very good @ the times. With the new flashes of how well this UDFA Rivers is performing & the move of Sammy Brown to DE places some smaller speeders in place...? Brodine came into the NFL as a UDFA to the Raiders in 2011 has 2 TC & preseasons under his belt plus two NFL games too. This is his first Ram TC. Brodine was only 252 pounds when he came to the Raiders. Guess that experience has him working inside with the second team?

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm really getting my hopes up on Quick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! C'mon baby! Excellent report, thank you so much!

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Matt Conrath is a guy I think is gonna give this DL quality depth. Dude was on the 53 roster last year (albeit inactive) all season and never once on the practice squad let alone cut.

A55VA6

Legend
Fisher seems to like Conrath. I haven't seen much of him, but I hope he can be a good player. our depth on the d-line is important.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
A couple of things stand out to me. One is that I agree with those that wonder if Hecker will be QB3. The kid is athletic enough to pull it off if need be, and Clemens is about as inspiring as a mothball. The second thing I have noticed is that we have an incredibly TALL interior d line. If these dudes can keep leverage, they will destroy passing lanes on short and intermediate routes. That advantage can not be understated.

Thank you Jimmi and Coach for the in depth and well thought out reports. You guys are our eyes out there, and we are lucky to have you on board. Go RAMS!!!!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
jimitroutboy said:
A kid named Phil Lutzenkirchen (henceforth to be known as Phil Lutz) made his first appearance today after an ankle injury kept him out for the first two days. They pair up the tight ends for a few reps on the Oklahoma drill with a tight end. Seems cruel and unusual and most of the time a tight end gets blown up. However today Phil Lutz stoned Gerald Rivers. He also had some really good catches one in particular for a TD in red zone drill. I am biased because I have a good friend in Illinois that is his cousin. Phil Lutz is 6:03 and 258 out of Auburn.

Lutzenkirchen is my darkhorse pick to make the roster. He was one of Newton's favorite targets when he was at Auburn. Had a fantastic start to his senior year before he got hurt; he was on pace for eleven touchdowns, which isn't bad for a guy whose main job is to block for the running back. I'm surprised that he went undrafted; he's a great blocker, he's a better pass-catcher than the other blocking tight ends, and he knows how to get open.

Thank you so much for doing these reports, jimi. You and CoachO have been invaluable to us, and I appreciate both of your insights.