Davis and the Opposing Defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I missed the first half or so of the game (TV-wise at least, listened on the radio) and only got to watch the furious, exciting comeback (yes, I intentionally turned it on when it was 34-14). I have a question for those who have better TV access than I - did Davis adjust, did the Philly D soften up, did the blocking materialize, or did Schottenheimer's play-calling evolve?

I'm certainly not a "Garbage Time" conspiracy theorist, because obviously the Eagles didn't want to give up anything, but I'm trying to gauge just how much positive I should realistically take from the comeback.

Listening to Connor Barwin after the show, he intimated that their D gave up a few... he didn't say "lucky," but that seemed to be the theme... deep shots that made it look worse for them than it was. Of course, that's the opposite of what happens vs. a prevent defense.

TL:DR, what was the catalyst for the Rams' 4th-quarter heroics, and was that catalyst something that is staying with the team or heading back to Philly to face the Giants?

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
They played in the 4th quarter like they should have played in the first 3 quarters! Pass blocking and run blocking looked like it should have to start the game! Very frustrating team!

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I think the Philly D just started to wear down. Their offense didn't sustain any drives in the 2nd half and the Rams were finally able to get a little protection as their pass rushers wore down. Maybe Davis was starting to recognize some things vs. the 3-4, but like the announcers had mentioned, I don't think he was ready for that.

The oline got they're act together for the most part. And they stopped turning the ball over. Essentially they were able to stop shooting themselves in the foot and ball out.

Athos

Legend
The O-line stopped being pushovers for the most part. They were dreadful in the 1st half and first drive or two in the 3rd quarter. Then they turned it around.
The defense forced punts helped as well.

I love me some Sam, but has Bradford ever had back to back 3 TD performances with over 325 yards in each contest, averaging over 7.5 yards per attempt?

If he has, I certainly don't remember. This offense is legit under Davis when the line isn't getting manhandled.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The O-line stopped being pushovers for the most part. They were dreadful in the 1st half and first drive or two in the 3rd quarter. Then they turned it around.
The defense forced punts helped as well.

I love me some Sam, but has Bradford ever had back to back 3 TD performances with over 325 yards in each contest, averaging over 7.5 yards per attempt?

If he has, I certainly don't remember. This offense is legit under Davis when the line isn't getting manhandled.
I'd call Bradford's Houston/Jax/Carolina (before the injury) stretch on par with what Davis is doing now, but that's an irrelevant conversation.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
To answer you questions, briefly, IMHO..
I missed the first half or so of the game (TV-wise at least, listened on the radio) and only got to watch the furious, exciting comeback (yes, I intentionally turned it on when it was 34-14). I have a question for those who have better TV access than I - did Davis adjust yes, did the Philly D soften up No, did the blocking materialize Yes, or did Schottenheimer's play-calling evolve? Absolutely!
It was an impress game called by Schotty, he show how well he can adapt to a game situation. Davis after getting pounded, from the start, just keep coming-on! I like to say 'Like Rocky' in the movie's!!

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
they did to Philly what they usually do to everyone else. As the game went forward, we were the stronger team. but.........too big of hole to climb out of.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I missed the first half or so of the game (TV-wise at least, listened on the radio) and only got to watch the furious, exciting comeback (yes, I intentionally turned it on when it was 34-14). I have a question for those who have better TV access than I - did Davis adjust, did the Philly D soften up, did the blocking materialize, or did Schottenheimer's play-calling evolve?

I'm certainly not a "Garbage Time" conspiracy theorist, because obviously the Eagles didn't want to give up anything, but I'm trying to gauge just how much positive I should realistically take from the comeback.

Listening to Connor Barwin after the show, he intimated that their D gave up a few... he didn't say "lucky," but that seemed to be the theme... deep shots that made it look worse for them than it was. Of course, that's the opposite of what happens vs. a prevent defense.

TL:DR, what was the catalyst for the Rams' 4th-quarter heroics, and was that catalyst something that is staying with the team or heading back to Philly to face the Giants?

Philly's defense isn't that great this season, but they can definitely pressure the QB. That comeback was due to the OL getting their protections solved, and Davis doing what Davis does when he gets even a little bit of time.

The kid's legit man. This offense with him running it is legit. SF is gonna be a huge test, but honestly... I think he's ready. I think he will play solid to very good against SF.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
The line decided not to play bad. If they had played good all game, the Rams win easily.

I am really worried about Monday. Joseph and Wells and even J.Long to an extent need to get their act together and give Davis some time.

RamzFanz

Damnit
The irony is this didn't need to be a battle to come from behind EVEN with the O line playing poorly the first half.

AD over threw wide open Quick, Britt, and Cook several times. It's his one consistent flaw even when not under pressure. The long balls float. Two of the three could have each been over 150 yards if it weren't for floating balls.

After bragging on their catching last week, they dropped several catchable balls this game. Not Britt or Quick as I recall but Cook at least one and Pettis several. Others too.

Penalties killed drives and plays again. This wan't Dallas, they were legit calls for the most part.

How did they almost come back? Those problems went away. AD still floated a few but he also threw some beauties with less pressure. AP dropped key catches to seal the deal but most of the second half they were fighting for balls and making the catch. A false start penalty also helped kill the final series, but they seemed to be far less the second half (I haven't checked).

The defense played pretty damn good this game all things considered. Eagles have a fast paced high flying offense and the D gave up 20 points. They didn't sack Noles which is just shocking, but he was under pressure all game. There should have been 2 more interceptions for the Rams. The secondary just didn't make the plays.

This team is SO CLOSE to being able to play anyone. The O line is key. Everything else pretty much works.

I will add that I think Fish and Schotty blew clock management, gave a way a possession by kneeling in the first half, and, in the end, when they had timeouts and time on the clock, were trying for the big play instead of getting the first down. OF course, it would have worked if AP hadn't dropped the ball, but a more conservative approach with clock management would have kept them in it.

Last edited:

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
All I know is Davis keeps getting better every week. He's so dam exciting to watch. And yes, I totally saw the Brette Favre comparisons yesterday. No he doesn't gun it, but his has no problem with throwing in traffic. He trusts his guys.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
The irony is this didn't need to be a battle to come from behind EVEN with the O line playing poorly the first half.

AD over threw wide open Quick, Britt, and Cook several times. It's his one consistent flaw even when not under pressure. The long balls float. Two of the three could have each been over 150 yards if it weren't for floating balls.

After bragging on their catching last week, they dropped several catchable balls this game. Not Britt or Quick as I recall but Cook at least one and Pettis several. Others too.

Penalties killed drives and plays again. This wan't Dallas, they were legit calls for the most part.

How did they almost come back? Those problems went away. AD still floated a few but he also threw some beauties with less pressure. AP dropped key catches to seal the deal but most of the second half they were fighting for balls and making the catch. A false start penalty also helped kill the final series, but they seemed to be far less the second half (I haven't checked).

The defense played pretty damn good this game all things considered. Eagles have a fast paced high flying offense and the D gave up 20 points. They didn't sack Noles which is just shocking, but he was under pressure all game. There should have been 2 more interceptions for the Rams. The secondary just didn't make the plays.

This team is SO CLOSE to being able to play anyone. The O line is key. Everything else pretty much works.

I will add that I think Fish and Schotty blew clock management, gave a way a possession by kneeling in the first half, and, in the end, when they had timeouts and time on the clock, were trying for the big play instead of getting the first down. OF course, it would have worked if AP hadn't dropped the ball, but a more conservative approach with clock management would have kept them in it.

this X2

AD floats alot of passes and Quick and Britt are making him look pretty good. i like AD and he is pretty fearless but alot of his long balls are thrown short.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill

this X2

AD floats alot of passes and Quick and Britt are making him look pretty good. i like AD and he is pretty fearless but alot of his long balls are thrown short.

iced

I'd call Bradford's Houston/Jax/Carolina (before the injury) stretch on par with what Davis is doing now, but that's an irrelevant conversation.

I heavily disagree. Bradford was not turning the ball over nearly as much, let alone giving the other team points..i don't see why this offense has been doing it on a consistent basis.

Athos

Legend
this X2

Now, is that a flaw or by design? One thing I notice, is that Davis tosses a very catchable ball. He's dropping those long tosses right on our WRs. And why not? More times than not, unless they're playing the Hags or DBs with really good ball skills, I like the chances of Quick, Britt, and Cook coming down with a very healthy number of those targets.

Deep ball accuracy wanes with every QB. All those strong armed QBs, I've seen a lot of them lofting the ball over their WRs heads by a head 5 yards or even just out of reach after a dive. Davis has shown an ability to give his WRs, more often than not, a fighting chance at the ball.

Can't really ask for more than that from a QB going deep.

Now, he does need to work on those short throws, some quick slants, etc, and hit guys in stride then.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
The biggest issue I have with Davis is his lack of accuracy in general. Granted, he will make a throw that makes you go, "wow" but more often than not, he misses on routine throws. Look no further than the opening "drive". He sails two balls over open receivers to start the game. Then dumps one short of the chains on 3rd down. Everyone seems enamored by his stats, but he has thrown the ball 91 times in the last 2 games. He should be able to put up numbers. The problem is, if this team has to throw the ball 30+ times, its not going to win many games. And that is the case regardless of whether its Davis, Hill or Bradford playing QB.

But lets not make it out to be more than it is. He has thrown 2 Pick 6 INTs and yesterday lost 2 critical fumbles. One that lead directly to another defensive score against, and the first that killed a rive in the Red Zone.

I just think people are so starved for anything to look to that is exciting and new from this team, that they seem to be overlooking the overall results. The comeback was fun to watch, but the OFFENSIVE miscues were the biggest culprit yesterday in why they were so far behind in the first place.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Now, is that a flaw or by design? One thing I notice, is that Davis tosses a very catchable ball. He's dropping those long tosses right on our WRs. And why not? More times than not, unless they're playing the Hags or DBs with really good ball skills, I like the chances of Quick, Britt, and Cook coming down with a very healthy number of those targets.

Deep ball accuracy wanes with every QB. All those strong armed QBs, I've seen a lot of them lofting the ball over their WRs heads by a head 5 yards or even just out of reach after a dive. Davis has shown an ability to give his WRs, more often than not, a fighting chance at the ball.

Can't really ask for more than that from a QB going deep.

Now, he does need to work on those short throws, some quick slants, etc, and hit guys in stride then.

His throw are EXACTLY what we want with the subtle arch and velocity that gives the WR time to adjust and go up and get it. Unfortunately, he floats them a little too far. When you rewatch the game, you see at least 5-6 open receivers he floated the ball over for massive plays. If he makes 2 of those, it's a whole different game He get's that down a little, OMG, his potential is through the roof.

I'm NOT saying Hill would be throwing better, but it is one of the points a lot of people made in that Hill throws a long ball arch that is perfect for go up and get it and he's accurate. If Davis becomes just a foot more more accurate, this passing O is going to explode.

At great risk of being called a koolaid drinking homer idiot, I think we may have a GSOT passing game if Davis tightens it up just a little and the O line becomes at least decently consistent.

Speeps

Starter
His throw are EXACTLY what we want with the subtle arch and velocity that gives the WR time to adjust and go up and get it. Unfortunately, he floats them a little too far. When you rewatch the game, you see at least 5-6 open receivers he floated the ball over for massive plays. If he makes 2 of those, it's a whole different game He get's that down a little, OMG, his potential is through the roof.
I agree with this statement. Part of the problem is his footwork needs work.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I agree with this statement. Part of the problem is his footwork needs work.

It's true. He throws off his back foot too much. But the potential is there. Quick and Britt are the real deal and so are the supporting cast of WR.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The biggest issue I have with Davis is his lack of accuracy in general. Granted, he will make a throw that makes you go, "wow" but more often than not, he misses on routine throws. Look no further than the opening "drive". He sails two balls over open receivers to start the game. Then dumps one short of the chains on 3rd down. Everyone seems enamored by his stats, but he has thrown the ball 91 times in the last 2 games. He should be able to put up numbers. The problem is, if this team has to throw the ball 30+ times, its not going to win many games. And that is the case regardless of whether its Davis, Hill or Bradford playing QB.

But lets not make it out to be more than it is. He has thrown 2 Pick 6 INTs and yesterday lost 2 critical fumbles. One that lead directly to another defensive score against, and the first that killed a rive in the Red Zone.

I just think people are so starved for anything to look to that is exciting and new from this team, that they seem to be overlooking the overall results. The comeback was fun to watch, but the OFFENSIVE miscues were the biggest culprit yesterday in why they were so far behind in the first place.

And yet his completion percentage is what?

I'm not going to say he is the next coming. I definitely see flaws. But when you have big targets, throw it high. And that is what he's doing for the most part. I agree that a more veteran QB MIGHT not have one or both of those fumbles but then again, there is NO excuse for whiffing on as many blocks as our O-line did in that game. Hell - on one, the OLB - the freaking OLB - was not even looked at. That wasn't really a blitzer. He was lined up on the line and yet no one even looked at him.