Davis and the Opposing Defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Maybe I am, I have admitted he has played better than I would have expected based off what I watched every day in camp for the past 3 seasons. I admit my judgement is clouded because i see the accuracy issues being there, that others seem willing to ignore.

I think he bails on the pocket too soon, and while some may think, its his athleticism and mobility, I think he tends to anticipate pressure sometimes when its not there, and doesn't read the overload blitzes when they are.

Again, I hope I am wrong about him and he continues to improve. I just am not one who looks at statistics to gauge how I feel a guy is performing.

OK I see what your saying, but I saw a lot more of that in Tampa and I was at the game than I have in the last two weeks.

He's getting better. That's a good thing too dude because if he plays like he has so far with no improvement this team is light years better.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The irony is this didn't need to be a battle to come from behind EVEN with the O line playing poorly the first half.

AD over threw wide open Quick, Britt, and Cook several times. It's his one consistent flaw even when not under pressure. The long balls float. Two of the three could have each been over 150 yards if it weren't for floating balls.

After bragging on their catching last week, they dropped several catchable balls this game. Not Britt or Quick as I recall but Cook at least one and Pettis several. Others too.

Penalties killed drives and plays again. This wan't Dallas, they were legit calls for the most part.

How did they almost come back? Those problems went away. AD still floated a few but he also threw some beauties with less pressure. AP dropped key catches to seal the deal but most of the second half they were fighting for balls and making the catch. A false start penalty also helped kill the final series, but they seemed to be far less the second half (I haven't checked).

The defense played pretty damn good this game all things considered. Eagles have a fast paced high flying offense and the D gave up 20 points. They didn't sack Noles which is just shocking, but he was under pressure all game. There should have been 2 more interceptions for the Rams. The secondary just didn't make the plays.

This team is SO CLOSE to being able to play anyone. The O line is key. Everything else pretty much works.

I will add that I think Fish and Schotty blew clock management, gave a way a possession by kneeling in the first half, and, in the end, when they had timeouts and time on the clock, were trying for the big play instead of getting the first down. OF course, it would have worked if AP hadn't dropped the ball, but a more conservative approach with clock management would have kept them in it.
Agree with everything except this. Rams were rolling on offense. KEEP it rolling. The delay of game penalty was inexcusable.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I've actually heard the term "high powered offense" a couple times regarding our RAMS.
Keep it up.

Athos

Legend
I think he bails on the pocket too soon, and while some may think, its his athleticism and mobility, I think he tends to anticipate pressure sometimes when its not there, and doesn't read the overload blitzes when they are.

Wasn't that one of the major complaints about Bradford early on or was that just the asshole Bradford haters on RT like oldlarry? Only with Sam, he didn't have the mobility to go along with phantom pressure.

As for being "unrealistic" or "blind" about Davis' faults...I'm not seeing that. I just see a ton of people excited how a 3rd stringer who had gotten cut, has come in and had the O moving pretty smoothly outside of super back penalties and mistakes on the line. Hell, I posted after the game, kinda tongue in cheek, kinda not, that Davis should watch game tape of Rivers this year. There was been times where if he climbs up, he could have made a more productive play.

Heck, I think missing early on on the easier throws is actually a good thing, because more often than not, he's connected like crazy for the low percentage shots. The easier passes are totally fixable imo and aren't a sign of concern yet. No picks this game. And, being honest, strip sack FF TD at, at worst, a 50/50 toss up for fault between him AND Long.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The biggest issue I have with Davis is his lack of accuracy in general. Granted, he will make a throw that makes you go, "wow" but more often than not, he misses on routine throws. Look no further than the opening "drive". He sails two balls over open receivers to start the game. Then dumps one short of the chains on 3rd down. Everyone seems enamored by his stats, but he has thrown the ball 91 times in the last 2 games. He should be able to put up numbers. The problem is, if this team has to throw the ball 30+ times, its not going to win many games. And that is the case regardless of whether its Davis, Hill or Bradford playing QB.

But lets not make it out to be more than it is. He has thrown 2 Pick 6 INTs and yesterday lost 2 critical fumbles. One that lead directly to another defensive score against, and the first that killed a rive in the Red Zone.

I just think people are so starved for anything to look to that is exciting and new from this team, that they seem to be overlooking the overall results. The comeback was fun to watch, but the OFFENSIVE miscues were the biggest culprit yesterday in why they were so far behind in the first place.

I don't agree.

However, I can agree that I didn't like his response to pressure(real or perceived) at certain points in the game.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
It isn't like all of the problems were solved by our Oline blocking better. Eagles started to not bring as much pressure, they weren't throwing stunts at the interior line, etc.

Early in the game Schotty really need to attack those pressures. Quick screens. Screens to the running back. Why wasn't Tavon involved until the second half? There were a lot of things we could have gone to early to subside some of those pressure looks.

jjab360

Legend
If the rest of the team were playing relatively mistake free football Davis's turnovers would be more glaring. If they cost us games, and they very well could have, fans would be screaming for hill or tim tebow or somebody. As is all the other mistakes on both sides of the ball take the focus off Davis's gaffes. Hope they all clean it up and we win some games.
If Davis wasn't making so many plays, his turnovers would be more glaring.

If the rest of the team was playing mistake free football, we'd be 4-0.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It isn't like all of the problems were solved by our Oline blocking better. Eagles started to not bring as much pressure, they weren't throwing stunts at the interior line, etc.

Early in the game Schotty really need to attack those pressures. Quick screens. Screens to the running back. Why wasn't Tavon involved until the second half? There were a lot of things we could have gone to early to subside some of those pressure looks.

I agree 110%. Although, I went back and watched the play where Davis was stripped in the red-zone. That one was on him. I'd have to guess that's the one he's taking the blame for.

The Eagles brought one more guy than we could account for. We had Bennie Cunningham who split out at WR run a step back screen in case Davis needed to get rid of the ball in a hurry. The throw was there. He sold it well and the CB was at least 5 yards off. If Davis gets it out there, I like our chances of Cunningham 1 on 1 only 5 yards from the end-zone. Davis needs to see that blitz and hit his hot read. That's one thing that Sam was exceptional at.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Not gonna lie, 4 turnovers in the last 2 games is a bit concerning BUT of those 4, I'd say 2 were on Davis(1st INT vs Dallas, 1st fumble vs Philly). The other 2 turnovers-a mistimed jump by Quick and Long not blocking his man well- led to the ones I don't fault Davis on.

iced

As any good soldier should.
I like that he's not pointing fingers or making excuses.
hey if the qb doesn't recognize the blitz/see they're bringing more than you can block, he does bear some responsibility

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Ummm I think some are still expecting some Prince Charming (Kurt Warner) to come on a white stallion and be nearly flawless as a backup no name QB. Get your head out of that 1999 season and realize Austin Davis isn't a once in a lifetime story. He's a third string QB that hasnt had arena league or NFL Europe to hone his skills..
He's gonna make mistakes as young inexperienced highly touted QB's do. Hell he's eclipsing or at least matching what we drafted a 60 million 1st pick of the draft to do.... Btw where is he?

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I agree 110%. Although, I went back and watched the play where Davis was stripped in the red-zone. That one was on him. I'd have to guess that's the one he's taking the blame for.

The Eagles brought one more guy than we could account for. We had Bennie Cunningham who split out at WR run a step back screen in case Davis needed to get rid of the ball in a hurry. The throw was there. He sold it well and the CB was at least 5 yards off. If Davis gets it out there, I like our chances of Cunningham 1 on 1 only 5 yards from the end-zone. Davis needs to see that blitz and hit his hot read. That's one thing that Sam was exceptional at.

I haven't been able to re-watch it yet. Not concerning the particular play you mentioned. Do you think Scott Wells has anything to do with some of those pressure problems? I know he and Joseph certainly did because they were not blocking well. But I am more curious about the line calls. Is Wells making those calls? Is that Davis' job? Philadelphia had certainly done there homework and knew they could attack our interior Oline. Then the second we started shifting a bit they attacked the edges.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I haven't been able to re-watch it yet. Not concerning the particular play you mentioned. Do you think Scott Wells has anything to do with some of those pressure problems? I know he and Joseph certainly did because they were not blocking well. But I am more curious about the line calls. Is Wells making those calls? Is that Davis' job? Philadelphia had certainly done there homework and knew they could attack our interior Oline. Then the second we started shifting a bit they attacked the edges.

I don't know whose responsibility it is in our scheme. Regardless, as a QB, you gotta recognize when they're bringing an overload blitz and either find your hot read or your mismatch.

209RamsFan

He's gonn get better, give him chance to take most of the snaps in training camp and during regular season ....then lets see