1. To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dan Marino files concussion lawsuit

Discussion in 'RAMS - NFL TALK' started by Prime Time, Jun 2, 2014.

  1. Prime Time RODerator

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2014
    Messages:
    3,769
    Likes Received:
    2,822
    Hall of Famer Dan Marino files concussion lawsuit against NFL
    By John Breech | CBSSports.com

    More than 4,800 former NFL players have been named a plaintiff in at least one concussion-related lawsuit against the league, but none of those players have been more notable than the latest one to file a lawsuit: former Dolphins quarterback Dan Marino.

    The Hall of Famer was one of 15 players to file a concussion-related lawsuit in Philadelphia's U.S District last week, according to the Los Angeles Times. The suit alleges that the NFL "concealed information about football-related brain injuries."

    According to the lawsuit, the league has known about concussion-related injuries since the early 1970s.

    Among the other 15 players who filed the suit with Marino are former Bears and Chargers quarterback Moses Moreno, along with nine-year veteran (1978-84, 87-88) Dwight Wheeler.

    Marino, who spent his entire 17-year career with the Dolphins, said in a short-form complaint that he "sustained repetitive, traumatic sub-concussive and/or concussive head impacts during NFL games and/or practices."

    The lawsuit filed by Marino seeks an "unspecified amount of financial recovery." Marino spent 12 seasons as an analyst for CBS (2002-2013) following his NFL retirement in 1999.

    It's not clear if Marino's lawsuit is apart of the suit originally filed against the NFL that led to a $765 million settlement -- or if he eventually plans to join that lawsuit. Marino's attorney, Sol Weiss, is one of the lawyers involved in that larger lawsuit, which consolidated several concussion-related lawsuits that were filed against the league.

    The $765 million settlement still hasn't been approved by the court. The settlement was originally agreed to back in August, but U.S. District Judge Anita Brody rejected it in January.

    "We continue to work at the direction of the Court and Special Master as they review the settlement agreement and rightfully ensure that all members of the class are protected," Weiss and Chris Seeger, the other co-lead counsel, said in a statement to the Times. "We look forward to finalizing this agreement so that former players can soon begin taking advantage of its benefits."

    The NFL has insisted all along that it hasn't concealed any information related to head or brain injuries that might occur while playing in the league.

     
    #1
  2. Thread Status: You only have permission to view the first post in this thread.