Dan Marino files concussion lawsuit

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He should just join the existing class-action suit. Filing a new, separate suit, smacks of greed.
That suit was settled already no? Typically in a class action suit there is an invitation to join, with a deadline for doing such, pretty sure all parties need to be on board prior to the suit being arbitrated or deliberated.
Just my .02.
Now, why he DIDNT join the original suit is an interesting question.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
My big question is how did the NFL "know" something that wasn't even "known" by the medical community at the time. There wasn't anything concrete, and still there are lots of question marks because there hasn't been enough research. The players contention that the guys running the NFL and the owners knew all this secret information about concussions doesn't hold water.

Who did all this research that the NFL learned about, while no one else in the world did, then they withheld the information from the entire world?

I know a lie when I see one.
Well, if you're contention is correct, and the NFL did NOT possess the medical research to know about the long term health effects of head trauma, then how do you answer the NFL's current actions? I mean, the NFL certainly now understands the long term impacts of concussions, so what are they doing about it... beyond running PR campaigns saying how much they care?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That suit was settled already no? Typically in a class action suit there is an invitation to join, with a deadline for doing such, pretty sure all parties need to be on board prior to the suit being arbitrated or deliberated.
Just my .02.
I don't think it's been settled ... or even approved at this point.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
My big question is how did the NFL "know" something that wasn't even "known" by the medical community at the time. There wasn't anything concrete, and still there are lots of question marks because there hasn't been enough research. The players contention that the guys running the NFL and the owners knew all this secret information about concussions doesn't hold water.

Who did all this research that the NFL learned about, while no one else in the world did, then they withheld the information from the entire world?

I know a lie when I see one.
Yeah, I have no idea. I was just speaking by what the accusations always seem to be.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Calling the NFLPA a sellout to owners is not accurate IMO.

If you do a little reading you'll see that what you think is the truth is actually not anything but assumptions that most people make about this. They assume the NFL is the reason former players aren't getting more, but that just isn't the case.
This is now multiple times you've tried to imply that I am somehow unread or misinformed... knock off the inferences.

What's ironic here is that we're in agreement on this point, and I was very vocal about the NFLPA's sellout in this forum at the time of the last rounds of the CBA negotiation. I agree that the problems with the current agreement are due in large part of the NFLPA's horrible negotiations or sellout of its own members. But what I don't do is I do not assume that the NFLPA is actually accurately representing the interests of its player members, becuase I think the NFLPA has consistently betrayed its own membership. So yes, the problems exist because of the actions of the NFL AND the NFLPA.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Just my .02.

Actually a judge rejected the settlement and it's still in progress.

Stranger all I can say is what I know, and the NFL having information that nobody else in the entire world medical community had is not at all possible. As far as what is the NFL doing now.......my answer has been the same for years. Almost every single rules change has been added to help protect players. Dating back to the start. So anyone saying the NFL is suddenly scrambling to make the game safer to make themselves look good now has missed the last several decades.

Here is a list, check it out and you will see that the huge majority of the changes have been put in place to reduce injury.

http://www.sportsattic.com/araig/NflRulesHistory.htm

The idea that recent changes are a PR campaign to me just means anyone pushing that agenda hasn't paid any attention to the past.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This is now multiple times you've tried to imply that I am somehow unread or misinformed... knock off the inferences.

What's ironic here is that we're in agreement on this point, and I was very vocal about the NFLPA's sellout in this forum at the time of the last rounds of the CBA negotiation. I agree that the problems with the current agreement are due in large part of the NFLPA's horrible negotiations or sellout of its own members. But what I don't do is I do not assume that the NFLPA is actually accurately representing the interests of its player members, becuase I think the NFLPA has consistently betrayed its own membership. So yes, the problems exist because of the actions of the NFL AND the NFLPA.

I'm just telling you there is a LOT of info available that will get you up to speed on this topic and the truths are not what you may assume they are.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But if its being litigated the deadline for being included as a plaintiff would have passed.

And I definately stand corrected:
From the original settlement
Under the settlement, individual awards would be capped at $5 million for men with Alzheimer's disease; $4 million for those diagnosed after their deaths with a brain condition called chronic traumatic encephalopathy; and $3 million for players with dementia, said lead plaintiffs' lawyer Christopher Seeger.
Any of the approximately 18,000 former NFL players would be eligible.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...-agree-to-765m-settlement-in-concussions-suit

Last edited:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dan Marino: ‘I Am Withdrawing as a Plaintiff Effective Immediately’
The Dolphins Hall-of-Famer says he didn’t intend to be automatically listed as a plaintiff in the recent lawsuit filed against the NFL, and says he is not suffering from memory loss or post-concussion symptoms
By Peter King

The football world was stunned Monday when a concussion lawsuit with Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Marino as star plaintiff was announced. Evidently, Marino himself was just as stunned to hear the news.

Late Tuesday afternoon, Marino confirmed the news that was reported by the South Florida Sun Sentinel earlier in the day: that he would withdraw the lawsuit filed in Pennsylvania as a twin to the massive concussion litigation waiting for settlement confirmation in the same court. In a statement provided to The MMQB shortly at 5:40 p.m. Tuesday, Marino said:

“Within the last year I authorized a claim to be filed on my behalf just in case I needed future medical coverage to protect me and my family in the event I later suffered from the effects of head trauma. In so doing I did not realize I would be automatically listed as a plaintiff in a lawsuit against the NFL.

I have made the decision it is not necessary for me to be part of any claims or this lawsuit and therefore I am withdrawing as a plaintiff effective immediately. I am sympathetic to other players who are seeking relief who may have suffered head injuries. I also disclaim any references in the form complaint of current head injuries.”

The suit was curious in the first place because Marino, as a former player in the era covered by $765 milion concussion-suit settlement, would automatically be eligible for benefits when or if Judge Anita Brody institutes the settlement that the NFL and attorneys for the aggrieved 4,000 players or player estates agreed to last September. She has reportedly been skeptical that there is enough money to cover benefits for the large number of players who could come forward claiming head injuries when they surface among retired players.

For instance, players who suffer from ALS—such as Steve Gleason and Kevin Turner—would be eligible to receive settlement checks of $5 million apiece from the settlement pool. Thus the concern that there would be enough money for the legions of players who could come forward in future years.

Marino, a source close to him said Tuesday, is adamant that he is not currently suffering from any memory loss or post-concussion syndrome related to head trauma from his 17-year NFL career, which ended in January 2000.

Marino is in the process of becoming a spokesperson for the American Association of Retired Persons. He is also negotiating with the Miami Dolphins, his old team, for an unspecified front-office role.

He could not be reached for comment Tuesday evening.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well that was odd.

2u3UbII.jpg

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
so, was this an effort by the lawyers to generate PR?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Beyond Odd hard to believe there was nothing "ancillary" involved.