Dallas Cowboys first American sports franchise to top $3 billion in value

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
COWBOYS WORTH MORE THAN $3 BILLION, TOPS IN NFL

NEW YORK (AP) -- The Dallas Cowboys are the first U.S. sports franchise to top $3 billion in value.

For the eighth straight year, the Cowboys are worth the most of all 32 NFL franchises, according to Forbes. They're valued at $3.2 billion; only Real Madrid at $3.4 billion is worth more among global franchises.

Dallas posted the NFL's highest revenue, $560 million, and operating income, $246 million. That was far ahead of second-place New England, worth $2.6 billion and with $428 million in revenues, $147 million in operating income.

But the Patriots had the biggest increase since last year, up 44 percent in value. Dallas was up 39 percent.

The average NFL franchise value for 2014 is $1.43 billion, the highest in the 17 years the business magazine has tracked professional football. That shows a 23 percent increase, the largest in one year since 1999.

Forbes determines team values using equity plus net debt figures, and accounts for each team's current stadium situation, with adjustments for pending new stadiums and renovations to existing ones.

Washington ($2.4 billion) is third in value, increasing 41 percent since the last rankings, and the New York Giants ($2.1 billion) are fourth.

For the 2013 season, the average NFL team generated record revenue of $299 million and operating income of $53 million. Each franchise received a record $170 million of national revenue, mainly from league broadcasting and licensing fees.

At the bottom are Buffalo, worth $935 million and currently for sale after owner Ralph Wilson's death, and St. Louis at $930 million. But every team increased in worth, the lowest rise being Arizona at 4 percent.

tagfeet

UDFA
COWBOYS WORTH MORE THAN $3 BILLION, TOPS IN NFL
say in! YORK (AP) -- The Dallas Cowboys are the first U.S. sports franchise to top $3 billion in value.

For the eighth straight year, the Cowboys are worth the most of all 32 NFL franchises, according to Forbes. They're valued at $3.2 billion; only Real Madrid at $3.4 billion is worth more among global franchises.

Dallas posted the NFL's highest revenue, $560 million, and operating income, $246 million. That was far ahead of second-place New England, worth $2.6 billion and with $428 million in revenues, $147 million in operating income.

But the Patriots had the biggest increase since last year, up 44 percent in value. Dallas was up 39 percent.

The average NFL franchise value for 2014 is $1.43 billion, the highest in the 17 years the business magazine has tracked professional football. That shows a 23 percent increase, the largest in one year since 1999.

Forbes determines team values using equity plus net debt figures, and accounts for each team's current stadium situation, with adjustments for pending new stadiums and renovations to existing ones.

Washington ($2.4 billion) is third in value, increasing 41 percent since the last rankings, and the New York Giants ($2.1 billion) are fourth.

For the 2013 season, the average NFL team generated record revenue of $299 million and operating income of $53 million. Each franchise received a record $170 million of national revenue, mainly from league broadcasting and licensing fees.

At the bottom are Buffalo, worth $935 million and currently for sale after owner Ralph Wilson's death, and St. Louis at $930 million. But every team increased in worth, the lowest rise being Arizona at 4 percent.

Rams in dead last....if they move to a Los Angeles they will be in the top 10 for sure....just saying!

moklerman

Warner-phile
Dead last is pretty hard to spin into a positive. I wonder if a big part of that is because the team doesn't own their own venue?

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Rams in dead last....if they move to a Los Angeles they will be in the top 10 for sure....just saying!

You could say the same for the Raiders, Chargers, Bills and Jags.
Those teams could be possibilities for Los Angeles as well.

Hell, maybe everybody should just move to LA so they can all be in the top ten.

TexRamFan

Rookie
I doubt Stan is putting too much stock in where his team Ranks on Forbes. He is in this for the long haul. He buys and holds, not sells. This ranking is clearly a reflection of the Dome and he is either getting something new in STL or moving. Either or will skyrocket the value. I mean how does Det at #30, lose 16 million dollars last year and stay ranked ahead of the Rams? Makes little sense.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Also has to do with the team not having a winning season and having very low fan support for quite some time. If the team starts winning again, the value will rise.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Dead last is pretty hard to spin into a positive. I wonder if a big part of that is because the team doesn't own their own venue?

Definitely. Last year when they thought a deal was going to get done their value went up. Now that it is stalled it's gone down. Many things influence that, ticket sales, prices, jerseys and other merchandise, wine loss record, stadium, etc etc. A winning season, packed dome, and word of a new fancy stadium would send the Rams skyrocketing up the list.

Rams were worth $200 million in 1995. I believe Kroenke bought in at around $80 million in 1993, and bought the remaining 60% at $450 million in 2010. For $530 million, he has close to a Billion Dollar team, not too shabby of return on investment there.

Definitely. Last year when they thought a deal was going to get done their value went up. Now that it is stalled it's gone down. Many things influence that, ticket sales, prices, jerseys and other merchandise, wine loss record, stadium, etc etc. A winning season, packed dome, and word of a new fancy stadium would send the Rams skyrocketing up the list.
Good post and I agree with this.

I am always skeptical about Forbes's ratings - do you honestly believe the Lions lost money last year?

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Apparently 3 billion is not enough to purchase a defense. Or a QB. Or a head coach.

AZRamsFan93

Given that the Clippers were sold for $2B, if the Rams move to LA they will likely double in value overnight.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Good thing Kroenke is already rich!
I don't think it'll be money that lures Kroenke away if he goes. I think he wants to be a power player in the NFL. He wants to be like Jerry Jones and Robert Kraft. Now, the only question to me in that regard is: Does Stan want to get that way through the challenge of doing it in a smaller media market or does he want to be vaulted into the position by moving the Rams to LA?

It still seems unlikely that Stan would abandon St. Louis and the midwest so my guess is that he wants to turn St. Louis into a gateway of sports between the east and west.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don't think it'll be money that lures Kroenke away if he goes. I think he wants to be a power player in the NFL. He wants to be like Jerry Jones and Robert Kraft. Now, the only question to me in that regard is: Does Stan want to get that way through the challenge of doing it in a smaller media market or does he want to be vaulted into the position by moving the Rams to LA?

It still seems unlikely that Stan would abandon St. Louis and the midwest so my guess is that he wants to turn St. Louis into a gateway of sports between the east and west.

Good question and I think you nailed the answer.

If it was any other guy I might have doubts. But a billionaire moving out of his home state in his 60's? I don't see it. So he could retire comfortably? Lol.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Good question and I think you nailed the answer.

If it was any other guy I might have doubts. But a billionaire moving out of his home state in his 60's? I don't see it. So he could retire comfortably? Lol.
Just depends on how you look at it. I see what you're saying but what about looking at it from the other direction? He obviously doesn't have anything left to accomplish financially so what else is there? Does he rest on his laurels and play it safe in St. Louis? If power/prestige/whatever is motivating him, staying in St. Louis doesn't make sense either.

And home state is a bit of a misnomer considering he has "homes" all over the world. Makes it sound like he'd have to make this big decision to leave his roots or something when he probably doesn't even spend most of his time there now.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Just depends on how you look at it. I see what you're saying but what about looking at it from the other direction? He obviously doesn't have anything left to accomplish financially so what else is there? Does he rest on his laurels and play it safe in St. Louis? If power/prestige/whatever is motivating him, staying in St. Louis doesn't make sense either.

And home state is a bit of a misnomer considering he has "homes" all over the world. Makes it sound like he'd have to make this big decision to leave his roots or something when he probably doesn't even spend most of his time there now.

If he was building his wealth, I'd have more concern.

But...

He's wealthy.

He's made his wealth outside of football. In his 60's... what does he personally gain from pulling out of his home state?

More obnoxious wealth?

I don't see it. He's arrived there already.

This is a situation that ends win-win.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I doubt Stan is putting too much stock in where his team Ranks on Forbes. He is in this for the long haul. He buys and holds, not sells. This ranking is clearly a reflection of the Dome and he is either getting something new in STL or moving. Either or will skyrocket the value. I mean how does Det at #30, lose 16 million dollars last year and stay ranked ahead of the Rams? Makes little sense.

How did they lose money, period? That's just baffling...

moklerman

Warner-phile
If he was building his wealth, I'd have more concern.

But...

He's wealthy.

He's made his wealth outside of football. In his 60's... what does he personally gain from pulling out of his home state?

More obnoxious wealth?

I don't see it. He's arrived there already.

This is a situation that ends win-win.
You keep going back to wealth though and that's what I think he's least concerned about with the NFL. Maybe he's content to just be a part of the owner's club and if that's the case, there's no doubt he'll stay in St. Louis. But if he wants to be one of the top dogs, LA might be how he gets that.

He obviously doesn't need any more money and he doesn't need to make it in the NFL. But if he wants to make his NFL team a world-wide "brand", do you think he plans to do that from St. Louis? Or would international marketing be more feasible from LA?