Dallas Cowboys first American sports franchise to top $3 billion in value

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Take it from someone who has to deal with land properties daily, appraisal's for the value of any property that isn't a house in a residential area is a crap-shoot at best. That being said, I think it would be a smart business move to move the frachise. Especially if the Rams end up owning the stadium.

TexRamFan

Rookie
Here is the thing with the Forbes list that many fail to point out. The "estimations" are performed by Forbes using the enterprise value. This value is basically a theoretical takeover price. So basically the value of the NFL owners debt would be taken over bye the buyer and thus paid for. This type of estimation includes debt in its value estimations or calculations.

So those owners with big debts get high grades on this list. Jerry Jones for example owes who knows how much on that Stadium so who ever buys the franchise (theoretically) is also buying his debts. Kraft (Pats #2) also owns his stadium and a huge complex surrounding it.

Those who follow Stan or the way he makes money know that he avoids debt for the most part. He does not own the dome, he merely pays 250k a year in rent which covers basically all his overhead.

Even though he does not make a dime on big money makers for others like parking, he still comes out near the middle of this list on operating income.

He makes his money by reducing overhead and placing himself in the most favorable positions. He is an owner, not a seller. That in combination with this "rankings" probably do not bother him that much.

Last edited:

TexRamFan

Rookie
I don't think it'll be money that lures Kroenke away if he goes. I think he wants to be a power player in the NFL. He wants to be like Jerry Jones and Robert Kraft. Now, the only question to me in that regard is: Does Stan want to get that way through the challenge of doing it in a smaller media market or does he want to be vaulted into the position by moving the Rams to LA?

It still seems unlikely that Stan would abandon St. Louis and the midwest so my guess is that he wants to turn St. Louis into a gateway of sports between the east and west.

I don't know if I see Stan as a "power player"

If by that you mean one of the top dogs who gets all the press, is asked about his opinions all the time, and is often sought for important ideas, etc. I do not see it. You see guys like Jerry Jones and Kraft on TV all the time. Stan on the other hand seems to do whatever he can to stay away from the light. He earned the nickname silent for a reason. He buys teams, hires the right guys to run them and stays out of the way. I do not see him wanting to be a power player, I just think he wants to make money with smart investments and field the best possible teams.

MrMotes

Starter
Good question and I think you nailed the answer.

If it was any other guy I might have doubts. But a billionaire moving out of his home state in his 60's? I don't see it. So he could retire comfortably? Lol.

You don't get rich by not caring about money. He owns a house in Malibu, tried to buy the Dodgers and bought land near Hollywood Park that could be used to build an NFL stadium Not saying it's gonna happen, but seems like a legitimate possibility to me...

moklerman

Warner-phile
I don't know if I see Stan as a "power player"

If by that you mean one of the top dogs who gets all the press, is asked about his opinions all the time, and is often sought for important ideas, etc. I do not see it. You see guys like Jerry Jones and Kraft on TV all the time. Stan on the other hand seems to do whatever he can to stay away from the light. He earned the nickname silent for a reason. He buys teams, hires the right guys to run them and stays out of the way. I do not see him wanting to be a power player, I just think he wants to make money with smart investments and field the best possible teams.
I don't know if he wants to be either, that's just the impression I get. I agree that he's not after the spotlight but that's not what I mean by power player. Media whore doesn't equal power player.

TexRamFan

Rookie
I understand how he gives that impression and I don't know exactly what you mean by power player. But I would think he would follow the same path he has taken with his other sports franchises and you NEVER hear about him owning or being a power player in the leagues that the Nuggets, Avalanche, Crush, Mammoth, Rapids or Arsenal belong. Dude has more sports teams than I have cars, kids, pets and siblings combined and he seems to run them like well oiled machines and a plan.

Last edited:

moklerman

Warner-phile
I don't know exactly what you mean by power player. But I would think he would follow the same path he has taken with his other sports franchises and you NEVER hear about him owning or being a power player in the leagues that the Nuggets, Avalanche, Crush, Mammoth, Rapids or Arsenal belong. Dude has more sports teams than I have cars, kids, pets and siblings combined.
I don't hear much about the Nuggets, Avalance, Crush, Mammoth or Rapids period. But I thought he was a muckity-muck with Arsenal? In any case, I'm just going by one of the few things he's said about the Rams and who he's been seen with. Gives me the impression he wants to be more than just another owner but I could be wrong. I'm not trying to argue the point, just giving my opinion of what I've seen so far.

TexRamFan

Rookie
I don't hear much about the Nuggets, Avalance, Crush, Mammoth or Rapids period. But I thought he was a muckity-muck with Arsenal? In any case, I'm just going by one of the few things he's said about the Rams and who he's been seen with. Gives me the impression he wants to be more than just another owner but I could be wrong. I'm not trying to argue the point, just giving my opinion of what I've seen so far.

I definitely see your side as well. And you could very well be right. Hopefully we will all find out sooner than later.....hopefully.

Hey......Maybe we can get Stan on ROD one of these days so we can find out, I bet he would love to field some questions!

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Enough of these threads already can we merge this with the other Forbes thread

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
"The Rams residence in LA ended twenty years ago. Move. The fuck. On..."
th

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Win some damn games....If you start winning they will come and in droves. This a result of the team having no sizzle whatsoever and the venue as well. It could change overnight with winning and then building something special and that can be in the Gateway City, however, I understand how certain individuals would support a return to the city of angels with a report like this.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stan has a great deal here in St. Louis. He only pay 250,000 a year to play in the dome while he receives a percent of all revenue even when the Rams are not playing so that means he is making money all year around. Not to mention the facility in earth city cost him nothing since the Cvc pays for that. So while his franchise might be worth less his operating cost are significantly less and this pushes his revenue up which in the end is all that really matters.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You keep going back to wealth though and that's what I think he's least concerned about with the NFL. Maybe he's content to just be a part of the owner's club and if that's the case, there's no doubt he'll stay in St. Louis. But if he wants to be one of the top dogs, LA might be how he gets that.

He obviously doesn't need any more money and he doesn't need to make it in the NFL. But if he wants to make his NFL team a world-wide "brand", do you think he plans to do that from St. Louis? Or would international marketing be more feasible from LA?

We'll Stan has been a major player in getting international soccer to st.louis. You just have to look around the city and see what's going on the signs are everywhere. The new arch grounds should be complete in 2015-2016 the new bridge was built for more infrastructure to help with traffic flow downtown Stan wants his own ballpark village and the state city and county are already putting pieces in place so that when he does get his stadium a Super Bowl will follow

AZRamsFan93

Stan has a great deal here in St. Louis. He only pay 250,000 a year to play in the dome while he receives a percent of all revenue even when the Rams are not playing so that means he is making money all year around. Not to mention the facility in earth city cost him nothing since the Cvc pays for that. So while his franchise might be worth less his operating cost are significantly less and this pushes his revenue up which in the end is all that really matters.
The operating revenues in St. Louis are mouse nuts compared to the investment gains if he moves the franchise.

I am not saying he will move, only that if it's ALL about the money that is what makes sense.

Fabulously wealthy people never have enough money. How do you think they got that rich in the first place?

moklerman

Warner-phile
"The Rams residence in LA ended twenty years ago. Move. The freak. On..."
Well, regardless of which team it turns out to be, the NFL back to LA is topical right now. This isn't just a case of bitter LA Rams fans bitching about the past. Which is what you make it sound like. I admit, I hope they move back but I'll be glad when their situation is resolved regardless of the outcome. Kroenke will get the Rams a top-notch situation wherever they call home. If they move to LA, I'll have a chance to see them live. If they stay in St. Louis, I never have to worry about blackouts with Sunday Ticket. I'm covered.

But the main thing is, this time around the Rams will get a stadium and situation that is specifically for them. That hasn't been the case since....EVER?!? Pretty sure they barnstormed when they were in Cleveland, the Coliseum was already there when they moved to LA, Angels stadium was temporary and a baseball first facility and the EJD was being built to try and lure ANY NFL team, not specifically for the Rams. I look forward to my team finally having their own home. I hope it's in my backyard but that isn't a deal-breaker for me.