D coordinator wish for next year

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

D Coordinator wish for next year?

• Jim Schwartz

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Rex Ryan

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Same combo, McGiness/ Blake Williams

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Gregg Williams if eligible

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
This is a topic I saw on another board and I thought it was interesting. I believe all have legit debate. I have my opinions though.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
G Willie Style.

Yeah, he's a dick. Yeah, he's under scrutiny, but yeah his defenses brought the heat and caused a lot of turnovers. Plus, there wouldn't be any change in scheme. Behind closed doors, he's no different than any other defensive assistant we have on the team. They're all yellers and cursers.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
G Willie Style.

Yeah, he's a dick. Yeah, he's under scrutiny, but yeah his defenses brought the heat and caused a lot of turnovers. Plus, there wouldn't be any change in scheme. Behind closed doors, he's no different than any other defensive assistant we have on the team. They're all yellers and cursers.

Thanks, please delete the double post. For some reason I can't.
Edit: got it

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I selected Greg Williams.

Fisher hired him for a reason.

Fisher chose DC by committee for a reason.

I think it's Greg.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
X said:
G Willie Style.

To a certain extent, I'm not sure there would be major scheme change with any of them. I'm sure you are right that the other guys would add their wrinkles for sure though. With Fisher's connection with Schwartz and Rex Ryan (Buddy Ryan's 46 and wide 9 knowledge). I'm sure Rex knows Buddy's 4-3 (or 46) as good as his own 3-4 in NY. He's also known for running a hybrid 4-3/3-4 in Baltimore. He's also an asshole like Williams but they are both good D coordinators. Schwartz was arguably Fisher's most effective D coordinator since he's been a head coach. There may be value in all of them. I also like Williams' aggressiveness. I'm torn, if I had to make a choice its Schwartz

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
smram said:
To a certain extent, I'm not sure there would be major scheme change with any of them. I'm sure you are right that the other guys would add their wrinkles for sure though. With Fisher's connection with Schwartz and Rex Ryan (Buddy Ryan's 46 and wide 9 knowledge). I'm sure Rex knows Buddy's 4-3 (or 46) as good as his own 3-4 in NY. He's also known for running a hybrid 4-3/3-4 in Baltimore. He's also an asshole like Williams but they are both good D coordinators. Schwartz was arguably Fisher's most effective D coordinator since he's been a head coach. There may be value in all of them. I also like Williams' aggressiveness. I'm torn

All the names in this list would be good candidates.

I chose G Williams... but I have to admit his role in the bounty scandal disgusts me. I love hard play. I don't agree with hurting players.

If we went another direction, I wouldn't be upset.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
CGI_Ram said:
smram said:
To a certain extent, I'm not sure there would be major scheme change with any of them. I'm sure you are right that the other guys would add their wrinkles for sure though. With Fisher's connection with Schwartz and Rex Ryan (Buddy Ryan's 46 and wide 9 knowledge). I'm sure Rex knows Buddy's 4-3 (or 46) as good as his own 3-4 in NY. He's also known for running a hybrid 4-3/3-4 in Baltimore. He's also an asshole like Williams but they are both good D coordinators. Schwartz was arguably Fisher's most effective D coordinator since he's been a head coach. There may be value in all of them. I also like Williams' aggressiveness. I'm torn

I chose G Williams... but I have to admit his role in the bounty scandal disgusts me. I love hard play. I don't agree with hurting players.

Agreed, I also think it goes on more than we may think league wide. The thing about Williams that concerns me is, will the players and coaches consider him a traitor? Will players and coaches trust and respect him now?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
smram said:
CGI_Ram said:
smram said:

Agreed, I also think it goes on more than we may think league wide. The thing about Williams that concerns me is, will the players and coaches consider him a traitor? Will players and coaches trust and respect him now?

In a strange twist of events... :cool:

I trust Fisher and Snead to judge the morale of this selection.

This will be an interesting thing to watch in the offseason.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't know that we'll ever fully know the whole story behind 'blah blah gate.'

But I also think there will be a short memory about this and GW's involvement once he gets in the meeting rooms and starts spitting viper poison all over the walls. I personally find the guy to be a dick. He's kind of repulsive. But, I don't have to hang out with him either. He can say or do whatever he wants and it effects me zero. I just want us to make some bone jarring hits, swarm to the football, and pull down all kinds of interceptions and fumbles. I really liked his defenses, and wouldn't mind seeing that here. We've got a junior version of it right now, so my natural curiosity is to want to see it all.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
X said:
I don't know that we'll ever fully know the whole story behind 'blah blah gate.'

But I also think there will be a short memory about this and GW's involvement once he gets in the meeting rooms and starts spitting viper poison all over the walls. I personally find the guy to be a dick. He's kind of repulsive. But, I don't have to hang out with him either. He can say or do whatever he wants and it effects me zero. I just want us to make some bone jarring hits, swarm to the football, and pull down all kinds of interceptions and fumbles. I really liked his defenses, and wouldn't mind seeing that here. We've got a junior version of it right now, so my natural curiosity is to want to see it all.

Good points. I also delete his last year in New Orleans from my memory due to him having no decent pass rushers and good cover corners. That is what his defenses depend on entirely.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I voted Williams. Mainly because he was Fisher's original choice. I also think he became an easy scapegoat for Goodell. I just don't buy that there are a bunch of coaches in the NFL thinking, "I can't believe what was happening in NO." I think his arrogance was one of his most fatal flaws. But would he have been so arrogant if he thought he was really the only one doing it? If so, maybe he's not the best choice. I also don't see anyone picking up Greg as a head coach anytime soon. So there would likely be a fair amount of consistency. Would we be risking the wrath of the NFL? Something to consider.

I don't think I could happily watch Rex each week. Looks too much like this guy:

220px-Fat_bastard.jpeg

I think McGinnis is possibly gone this off season.

I'm not sure how much Schwartz had to do with his D. Maybe he could do better if that was what hw was concentrating on.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
I'm the outlier, I guess. I would rather have just about anyone else other than Gregg Williams(voted for the same combo).

I dont want his tarnished reputation anywhere near the Rams. We are already known as a chippy team. With his as DC we would be getting a lot of scrutiny, likely being labeled a dirty team. There would be speculation of bounties etc. His baggage outweighs his skill as a DC, IMO.

I think Rex Ryan i probably the best of those candidates, but he runs a 3-4. We have a solid base of defensive talent. It would be ill advised to switch.

bluecoconuts

Legend
RamFan503 said:

I hope not, why do you think that?

I picked Williams if he's able to coach. If not him then I'd say probably Schwartz or someone else. I like Rex Ryan as a defensive coach, I think he'd be really good honestly. I'm just not sure how long he'd stick around, and how the personalities will work. Plus the scheme change. But his scheme is a damn good one.

I dunno though, it's hard to say. As long as we get the right person in I'm happy.

Lesson

Oh, really?
RamFan503 said:

I don't think that's likely as McGinnis has been Fisher's Assistant HC since he was with the Titans from 2004 to the end of Fisher's tenure there. Though, he did fire Cecil as DC there, too, and brought him here so who knows?

I just find it unlikely that McGinnis would be gone after one year here.

Lesson

Oh, really?
I would say Gregg Williams, but I am a bit reluctant to say so.

Fisher said if he had known that the whole bounty investigation was going on when he hired Williams, he wouldn't have hired him for DC.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I don't have any info in particular guys. I just thought I remember his name being mentioned last year as a possible head coach and there seem to be a lot of vacancies coming up this season. Just speculation on my part - nothing more.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
If it weren't for the 3-4, my vote would be Ryan all day. Since we seem to be doing ok with out current personnel, I would rather stay the course.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I voted for Greg Williams. Not a big fan of his but of the list he was the best choice.
Was leaning toward other and after the season when a couple coaching staffs get blown up there would be more choices.
A good coordinator can adapt to the personnel and adjust his system to the head coaches wishes. Scheme is independent, they can adapt. The guy that can adapt is the one we want.

My first choice in the other is Ray Horton. What he gets out of his D with what he's got is amazing. If he wants to run a 4-3 then he's my guy.
Spags might be looking for a job when that's blown up. Never gonna happen but I do respect his D work.
Swartz...Sure if he brings Megatron along.

To me I think Fisher ran most of the D planing this year, others just executed on game day. Who ever is in charge of the D next year will be very similar to his style.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
We could also promote from within and hire another assistant to the new DC.

Chuck Cecil could step up. He was Fisher's DC before. Just hire a new secondary coach.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
X said:
G Willie Style.

I actually chose Schwartz, because he has worked with the entire defensive staff without problems. I am not against Williams being hired, I'm just afraid of what the consequences will be. The reason why I'm not in favor of G Williams is that if he becomes our D-Coordinator, anytime an opposing player gets hit hard or someone gets hurt, or a Rams player slips during a tackle and it looks like he was going for the other guys knees, there will be an automatic knee jerk reaction that the bounty system is going. I also think that refs will be on the lookout for that behavior and start seeing penalties where there were none (well actually make that worse than now). Could you imagine how many times the Rams will be called dirty, our players getting personal fouls for BS, players being suspended for nothing but an accident. I'm just afraid that with G Williams our team, especially our defense, will never, get the benefit of the doubt.