Curiosity, any QBs ever made a comeback after 2 ACL's?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
pro or college have any QB's made a comeback after 2 ACL tears of the same knee?

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Robert Griffin III. 2 times in 3 years.
same knee? lets with hold judgement on 'successful' comeback for him right now tho, dudes fucked up mentally or something now

Mike

Rookie
Name
Mike
RG3 is going to have to tone down his running game. Otherwise someone's going to blast him during a game and hurt him. The bad thing about his running game is that's who he is as a player.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
RG3 is going to have to tone down his running game. Otherwise someone's going to blast him during a game and hurt him. The bad thing about his running game is that's who he is as a player.
And the first time he played us, he was already crying about getting hit....that was a red flag to me. You cry about stuff like that, and players be like....we will hit him harder, and more often.

Mike

Rookie
Name
Mike
Intimidation is a big part of the game even with all the enforcement the refs are doing.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
same knee? lets with hold judgement on 'successful' comeback for him right now tho, dudes fucked up mentally or something now
I have not seen that reported. I mean if he isn't THAT would be a story

A55VA6

Legend
lol very true.

And yes, he tore his right ACL twice. Panthers LB Thomas Davis tore his ACL 3 years in a row and has come back pretty strong. So I mean, it's possible.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
lol very true.

And yes, he tore his right ACL twice. Panthers LB Thomas Davis tore his ACL 3 years in a row and has come back pretty strong. So I mean, it's possible.

I think Davis is a great example. He was lights out last year and uses his legs way more then a QB would. Unless your name is a Kaepernick. Then you just suck.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I really want to see Sam Bradford's potential be realized and with the Rams if possible.

It's the timeline that concerns me. I have serious doubts that 12 months is enough for a 2nd ACL tear. That means unless we are able to keep Shaun Hill as our starter or Austin Davis for the next 24 games or so (a season and a half at least), then we're talking two years. And I think it's got to be evident that the Rams are going to be THAT team that's going to want a QB. Now, if we do really well, we may look for that Rothlisberger type who'll fall to us in the mid 20s (or later, I still think this is our year, just that the journey will be more like Mr Toad's wild ride than the Emperor's March from Star Wars...), but either way, I can't fathom us NOT going after that "QB of the FUTURE". Which will put is presumably with Hill, Davis, Rookie and Bradford. Now, knowing Bradford's talent is likely the best of the bunch, that would mean losing Davis. Mmmmokay. But if we carry Bradford as the #3 while he convalesces, do we really have a "QB of the FUTURE"? And how's that supposed to work for Hill?

It's easy for us as fans to have an opinion about how the Rams should run things. Almost too easy. That said, I can understand when an organization does something like SD did when they got rid of Drew Brees. Did they want to? No. But the uncertainty was stifling AND it would have meant that they couldn't really draft that next QB. And if you're not drafting that next QB, what are you drafting? The next backup QB? You don't spend a 1st round pick on your backup QB...

I want Bradford to succeed for personal as well as fan reasons. But the timeline for his 2nd ACL...

I'm not saying it couldn't work, but this season will tell us all we need to know. If we win 9 games and Shaun Hill is the limiting factor, you can BET the Rams will get that Franchise QB in the draft (and find a way to do it without pulling an RGIII type trade...).

Which puts Bradford...where???

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I really want to see Sam Bradford's potential be realized and with the Rams if possible.

It's the timeline that concerns me. I have serious doubts that 12 months is enough for a 2nd ACL tear. That means unless we are able to keep Shaun Hill as our starter or Austin Davis for the next 24 games or so (a season and a half at least), then we're talking two years. And I think it's got to be evident that the Rams are going to be THAT team that's going to want a QB. Now, if we do really well, we may look for that Rothlisberger type who'll fall to us in the mid 20s (or later, I still think this is our year, just that the journey will be more like Mr Toad's wild ride than the Emperor's March from Star Wars...), but either way, I can't fathom us NOT going after that "QB of the FUTURE". Which will put is presumably with Hill, Davis, Rookie and Bradford. Now, knowing Bradford's talent is likely the best of the bunch, that would mean losing Davis. Mmmmokay. But if we carry Bradford as the #3 while he convalesces, do we really have a "QB of the FUTURE"? And how's that supposed to work for Hill?

It's easy for us as fans to have an opinion about how the Rams should run things. Almost too easy. That said, I can understand when an organization does something like SD did when they got rid of Drew Brees. Did they want to? No. But the uncertainty was stifling AND it would have meant that they couldn't really draft that next QB. And if you're not drafting that next QB, what are you drafting? The next backup QB? You don't spend a 1st round pick on your backup QB...

I want Bradford to succeed for personal as well as fan reasons. But the timeline for his 2nd ACL...

I'm not saying it couldn't work, but this season will tell us all we need to know. If we win 9 games and Shaun Hill is the limiting factor, you can BET the Rams will get that Franchise QB in the draft (and find a way to do it without pulling an RGIII type trade...).

Which puts Bradford...where???
Excellent post. Great points and well worded.

The timeline is the key. When can he be expected to play? Is it in camp or mid-season.

And I too think the Rams are going to have a great year. This is where the rub comes in. If the Rams draft in the mid twenties as I think they should they might be looking at drafting the fifth or sixth QB off the board.And would that be a huge reach? How often are that many true franchise QB's in a single draft? And even then do the best guys on the board even fit the scheme? They may be read option types that have to be molded into the Rams scheme or change out the OC to fit the investment.
Or does the team just want a game manger type to fit in with the running game and ball control offense.

But what i'm unsure about is what to do with Bradford.

Things were simpler in the Spags era, we would always get a choice of any player except maybe one.

Simba

Rookie
I think Davis is a great example. He was lights out last year and uses his legs way more then a QB would. Unless your name is a Kaepernick. Then you just suck.

Yes, but different bodies with different attitudes and different histories.Watching the way Sam broke his ligament twice, it says so much for me.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Well, I love Hundley from UCLA, but he'll likely go too high. That said, I think the kid, Hogan, from Stanford has really good mechanics other than that windup and I think he'd THRIVE in our offense. Plus, they run a full pro set at Stanford, so he'd likely do pretty well getting up to speed in Schotty's offense.

Tweed335

UDFA
I don't really know myself, and like most, the shortest answer to your post is: NO

Bottom line is hope: 'what we must do' and all that; once a team goes through the 5 phases of grief is to embrace the next step.

Essentially: We could bring Bradford back as a camp body at a lower price (which I'm not against), however the most likely is to draft for the future.

I am (was) a huge Bradford supporter. Lets face facts though! He's not here today, and probably gonna be gone tomorrow!

I thought the dude was gonna resurrect the franchise with both physical and cognitive skill. I loved his size and thought, of all spread QB's that could translate to a Pro Qb, Bradford would. For all I know, he will.

However!! The fatal fact, as solemn, as it may be: It Is Time To Put a QB Behind This Awesome Team!

I agree with supporters who said Bradford was good but lacked a supporting cast. The next QB will be in a much better situation, IMO!

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
I don't really know myself, and like most, the shortest answer to your post is: NO

Bottom line is hope: 'what we must do' and all that; once a team goes through the 5 phases of grief is to embrace the next step.

Essentially: We could bring Bradford back as a camp body at a lower price (which I'm not against), however the most likely is to draft for the future.

I am (was) a huge Bradford supporter. Lets face facts though! He's not here today, and probably gonna be gone tomorrow!

I thought the dude was gonna resurrect the franchise with both physical and cognitive skill. I loved his size and thought, of all spread QB's that could translate to a Pro Qb, Bradford would. For all I know, he will.

However!! The fatal fact, as solemn, as it may be: It Is Time To Put a QB Behind This Awesome Team!

I agree with supporters who said Bradford was good but lacked a supporting cast. The next QB will be in a much better situation, IMO!

Agree with you 100%. Love Bradford but there's no way we can count on him to be our only real option at QB. If we get him super cheap for a one year deal then keep him and use him to help develop whatever rookie we draft next year, or maybe even have him play next year and if he goes down yet again put in the rookie. That would be a win win situation in my opinion.

Someone else on here mentioned this but it was so nerve wracking watching Bradford so far this year cause we were all afraid he'd get injured again. Now that fear is going to be even stronger, and I think most of us don't want to have to worry about that, none to mention how the coaches might feel.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I was really down about his prospects, but after reading up on that experimental ACL surgery... I'm actually pretty hopeful (presuming he could do it). I mean if a freestyle skier's knee can survive the stresses on a 3rd ACL tear, then this surgery on a 2nd ACL tear should have an even better shot. The recovery period is less and he could be back before the COMBINE. How crazy would that be???

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
I was really down about his prospects, but after reading up on that experimental ACL surgery... I'm actually pretty hopeful (presuming he could do it). I mean if a freestyle skier's knee can survive the stresses on a 3rd ACL tear, then this surgery on a 2nd ACL tear should have an even better shot. The recovery period is less and he could be back before the COMBINE. How crazy would that be???

How many skier's are hit in the legs by 300 pound opponents? If we're going to build a strawman, let's at least use one that applies.