Craig Dahl Reduces 2014 Base Salary

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I didn't mean argument literally. . Sorry

No problem. Sanchez and Schaub though... that's got to burn Jets and Texans fans lol

As for Sam, I still think he can pull this team together offensively if the right pieces are placed around him.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
o_O What argument? I was shocked, I thought Tom would be up there at the top.

Brady's contract is fully guaranteed. He's forsaken a higher yearly average for a guaranteed pay day five years down the track.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
but that list says 57% guaranteed, I'm confused now lol

Yes it does. It also has Sam on 64% even though his last two years are non guaranteed. Maybe that is for the length of the contract and since Brady signed an extension it came up as 57%.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Yes it does. It also has Sam on 64% even though his last two years are non guaranteed. Maybe that is for the length of the contract and since Brady signed an extension it came up as 57%.

Ahh ok, that could make sense then. I don't follow player salaries much, its interesting though.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Sam is making more than Tom?
Someone went into it with much more detail on a thread a while back. Bottom line is it's complicated and there are a whole bunch of cap items that cloud the situation. Still - Sam makes as a #1 overall before the new CBA what he would have no matter who drafted him. The fact that he may make more than proven vets right out of college is exactly WHY they changed the system. Sucks for us but it is what it is.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Someone went into it with much more detail on a thread a while back. Bottom line is it's complicated and there are a whole bunch of cap items that cloud the situation. Still - Sam makes as a #1 overall before the new CBA what he would have no matter who drafted him. The fact that he may make more than proven vets right out of college is exactly WHY they changed the system. Sucks for us but it is what it is.
It hurt us for a few years, because we were drafting too high. The way I looked at it, that it was better he was a QB, than a defensive lineman, but overall it just sucked for us every year, because our team wasn't very good, and we got penalized for that . Thank God for the new structure.

Last edited:
I understand but as a fan....I think Bradford needs to re-do his contract. It sucks the rams are paying this dude that much money when he has had trouble staying healthy. Wish he would agree to take market value instead of his current ludicrous contract even though its not his fault. I just want my rams to do better lol

I'd be interested in how many QBs would actually have not been injured on the plays Sam has been injured on?

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Wish Bradford would reduce his cap to sign both Saffold and Mack...then Sam would have a great OL to protect him and clear monster holes for Stacy

Everyone jumped on his comment without even considering his point. He never says "Bradford is overpaid". He said Bradford should take a pay cut so we can sign/re-sign offensive lineman.

I agree 100% because Bradford is in a make or break year AND if he has a good OL around him his chances of having a good year are considerably better. And if he does better we extend his contract.

So I think it's in Bradford's financial interest to restructure his contract to give us some more salary cap space.

Why is this not under serious discussion? Why is questioning how much money Bradford is paid somehow sacred territory?

Alex Smith got a pay cut with the Whiners. Veterans regularly get pay cuts. There are precedents. Yet breaching the topic seems to unnerve everyone.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I'd be interested in how many QBs would actually have not been injured on the plays Sam has been injured on?

You mean tearing an ACL while running out of bounds? He wasn't even cutting. I've never in all my life see an ACL tear that easily. Or perhaps you were being sarcastic...

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Everyone jumped on his comment without even considering his point. He never says "Bradford is overpaid". He said Bradford should take a pay cut so we can sign/re-sign offensive lineman.

I agree 100% because Bradford is in a make or break year AND if he has a good OL around him his chances of having a good year are considerably better. And if he does better we extend his contract.

So I think it's in Bradford's financial interest to restructure his contract to give us some more salary cap space.

Why is this not under serious discussion? Why is questioning how much money Bradford is paid somehow sacred territory?

Alex Smith got a pay cut with the Whiners. Veterans regularly get pay cuts. There are precedents. Yet breaching the topic seems to unnerve everyone.

If it is make or break for Bradford what would be his incentive to take a pay cut? If he fails he is out money that he won't have a chance to earn later.

I mean, would you take a pay cut at work in order for the company to hire someone else that may or may not make you more successful...all the while you are still very much at risk of being fired 6 months later regardless?

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Guys remember these days?

h03DED1B2

You mean tearing an ACL while running out of bounds? He wasn't even cutting. I've never in all my life see an ACL tear that easily. Or perhaps you were being sarcastic...

I'm sure there was some contact to his knee by some dick head defender who then celebrated injuring him, although it was 4 months ago so I could be misremembering, I think his first injury someone drove his shoulder into the turf, although that was my first day watching college football so is probably over 5 years ago, and his second injury was on the 50th sack of the season, but that was three years ago.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame

Yea I know why Sam's pay was so high with the CBA thing and all, I was just surprised by how low Tom's is being he is a elite QB.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
If it is make or break for Bradford what would be his incentive to take a pay cut? If he fails he is out money that he won't have a chance to earn later.

I mean, would you take a pay cut at work in order for the company to hire someone else that may or may not make you more successful...all the while you are still very much at risk of being fired 6 months later regardless?

Great point. The answer is to take his 2014 Cap Number ($17.6 M according to Sportrac) and guarantee the figure over two years.

This is doable because;

1) Bradford's contract is out of guaranteed money.
2) Bradford would make the same amount of money in either way.

So he would be paid $8M this 2014 and $8M 2015. This would increase our Cap this year enough to resign Saffold and make a play for the best FA Safety.

The downside risk is that Bradford under performs and we cut him, which would cost us $8M in 2015.

However, if he performs well (like we all hope he will) both parties are in a position to resign him long-term in 2015. This also gives the Rams leverage should we resign him in 2015.

So, if you really think Bradford is the answer; this is the answer. If not, at least we can move on with an intact OL + a cheap QB we pick up in the draft (which would allow us to take the $8M cap hit in 2015).

Let me know what you guys think.