Craig Dahl Reduces 2014 Base Salary

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/2/24/5443208/craig-dahl-salary-reduction-2014-49ers-salary-cap

49ers salary cap: Craig Dahl reduces 2014 base salary by $525,000
By David Fucillo@NinersNation on Feb 24 2014

20140105_mjr_su5_204.0_standard_783.0.jpg

Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

The San Francisco 49ers continue to do work to open up some space in their salary cap.Craig Dahl has reduced his 2014 base salary from $1,350,000 to $825,000. That is a $525,000 reduction. Our man Jason Hurley spotted it first (make sure and follow him on Twitter and at Niner Cap Hell), and I have been able to follow up with NFLPA resources.

We are still looking for more details on the salary cap impact of this move. Dahl's original contract called for a $250,000 workout bonus, and a $50,000 roster bonus. That combined with his prorated signing bonus resulted in a cap figure of $1,883,333. We have to figure his cap number has gone down, but we don't quite know how much. If he took a straight pay cut, that's $525,000 in cap space. We don't know what happened to his offseason bonuses, and we don't know if the deal included other bonuses. His 2015 base salary of $1,400,000 still appears the same, so the entire deal wasn't re-done.

Dahl focused on special teams in 2013, but did get some opportunities at safety when Eric Reidsuffered his concussions. Donte Whitner is potentially on the way out, which means strong safety is open for competition. While Dahl could compete for the role in training camp, I'd have to think the 49ers would invest in a younger option to pair with Eric Reid. Free agency is two weeks away, so we'll start to get a better handle on the 49ers safety situation at that point.

Fooch's Update: Matt Maiocco was able to find out more details from his sources. His source says the deal clears $600,000 total in cap space. MM breaks it down in his story.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Wish Bradford would reduce his cap to sign both Saffold and Mack...then Sam would have a great OL to protect him and clear monster holes for Stacy

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Wish Bradford would reduce his cap to sign both Saffold and Mack...then Sam would have a great OL to protect him and clear monster holes for Stacy
No highly drafted player in their first contract is ever going to be giving back money.

That's the reason the Rams aren't even asking him to do so.

laramsoriginal

Starter
I understand but as a fan....I think Bradford needs to re-do his contract. It sucks the rams are paying this dude that much money when he has had trouble staying healthy. Wish he would agree to take market value instead of his current ludicrous contract even though its not his fault. I just want my rams to do better lol

PhxRam

I understand but as a fan....I think Bradford needs to re-do his contract. It sucks the rams are paying this dude that much money when he has had trouble staying healthy. Wish he would agree to take market value instead of his current ludicrous contract even though its not his fault. I just want my rams to do better lol

screenshot_258.png

screenshot_259.png

Seems about right to me.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm shocked you would say such a thing. I had no idea you felt this way. Why haven't you said this repeatedly before?

laramsoriginal

Starter
screenshot_258.png

screenshot_259.png

Seems about right to me.

Well considering its hard for him to stay healthy nearly 50% of his career, it looks terrible to me.
I care more about the rams than any one players. Bradford has done nothing on the field for me to consider him a top 12 QB let alone pay him as if he were a top 5 QB.

I understand my opinion re: Bradford is not a popular one here on ROD. I really want him to play up to his potential for the majority of the season. Go Rams

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Unpopular opinions are not a problem here. You really think that's the issue here - eh?

jjab360

Legend
Well considering its hard for him to stay healthy nearly 50% of his career, it looks terrible to me.
I care more about the rams than any one players. Bradford has done nothing on the field for me to consider him a top 12 QB let alone pay him as if he were a top 5 QB.

I understand my opinion re: Bradford is not a popular one here on ROD. I really want him to play up to his potential for the majority of the season. Go Rams
Maybe you missed the part where Bradford was only 14th in amount per year, smh. How is that paying him like a top 5 QB? Getting tired of hearing that over and over again when it couldn't be further from the truth.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Maybe you missed the part where Bradford was only 14th in amount per year, smh. How is that paying him like a top 5 QB? Getting tired of hearing that over and over again when it couldn't be further from the truth.

Really so the rams aren't paying Bradford 14,015,000 in 2014? Hmmmm

jjab360

Legend
Really so the rams aren't paying Bradford 14,015,000 in 2014? Hmmmm
That would still only be 12th going by every QB's average per year. Once again, not top 5. Considering Bradford was 7th in the NFL in PFF's accuracy percentage which takes into account dropped passes, thrown away passes, spikes, etc., I can live with that contract. Bradford stays healthy, continues progressing, and all of a sudden he's actually underpaid in comparison to his peers.

Until then feel free to continue freaking out over a contract that is relatively affordable when compared to other QBs. Notice that Snisher doesn't share your opinion, but what does it matter what those guys think, right?

laramsoriginal

Starter
There are many ways to interpret his contract but what is undeniable is his ludicrous cap hit for 2014. This coming season is huge for both Bradford and the rams.

I'll just leave it at that and drop my opinion re: Bradford on this board.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Reverting back to Dahl, I hope he does win the starting role in San Fran. The dude is slow and "soft" so it wouldn't be too much of a problem.
image.jpg

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
If your wanting anybody to give back money they got overpaid you should be asking Mr. Craig 'I take Wrong Angles' Dahl