Couple of questions for the board “deeper thinkers”...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Steven Jackson was famous for this.
Yeah. And you can tell when it's time to just abandon the game plan and feed the beasts. Gurley, like Jackson, gets VISIBLY animated when he's finding his groove. I'm not telling McVay what to do or anything, but I'd definitely pay attention to that key marker.

Ram65

Legend
Okay. I think people are missing the point and I don't know why.

This is all about the patterns (yep, it's genetic. My son's high functioning autistic and he takes my pattern stuff exponentially farther)

If, as the patterns of behavior suggest, AD isn't happy with the contract, why? Well, the offer was to be close to the highest paid defender in the NFL. With the increasing cap, I can't see a few million dollars over six years being an impediment. The Rams are creative enough with the cap to work that out. So what could have caused such difficulty that AD held out ALL of the offseason?

When filtering the possible permutations (there aren't a lot), the ONLY thing that makes any sense based on the theory that "people tend to act rationally based on their own self-interest" (I made that up, I think...) is that AD was looking for contract language that the Rams are unwilling to adopt. The terms including things like guarantees for top-flight defenders is pretty standard at this point, so minor deviations aren't an issue.

WHY is AD's contract a problem, then?

Well, based on some research, the ONE issue that teams simply won't do again is the 3-year opt-out. And with AD having been so underpaid for the last few seasons, if his reps think the cap will go up on the next TV deal (something that I feel is not certain with the current decline in viewership and lack of accounting for streaming ad revenues), then AFTER the next TV deal, the Rams would have to deal with a certain opt-out and ANOTHER megadeal right as Goff is going to need to be paid and likely right after Gurley has gotten paid. The Rams are simply not going to do it. They're willing to pay AD once for a massive 6 year contract. A 3-year opt-out sets up AD to be paid twice with the Rams having no point where AD's cap hit is manageable.

This is a scenario that fits everything that's happened. Rams are willing to pay him...once. But that's it.

If AD INSISTS on a 3-year opt-out, which is the pinnacle of a type of contract detail that would be a hard no from any team at this point, then we are ALREADY at the point where the Rams are looking at the exit.

Meaning, if AD wants that opt-out and THAT'S what he held out for, then he's ALREADY gone. ALREADY.

The ONLY question is if the Rams stick with his 5th year option and then Tag him twice... OR... if some team makes them an offer they can't refuse.

I, personally, would LOVE to cheer for AD until he retires in 10+ years as the GOAT defender and guy like Merlin Olsen who only ever played with the Rams and then wears the Gold jacket proudly as only ever having been a Ram.

Point is in observing these patterns is that *I don't choose*. This isn't about a preference. This is about what I see as likely to happen based on data, past behaviors and future behaviors using the model of current parameters.

Now, might he change his mind now that he's played for Wade and sees that McVay has the Rams set up to be winners for a long time?

Yeah, that's possible. The opt-out may have been a mechanism from a winner who wasn't willing to play his entire career for a Jeff Fisher losing team.

So, the most optimistic outlook is that because of our current and projected future success, the NEED for such an opt-out clause may not be there anymore and AD may feel free to sign a more traditional contract.

If not, then the only question is 'how does this end'?

As much as I HOPE, HOPE, HOPE for the optimistic outlook, I have to recognize that it may not be what happens. In that event, the subsequent events follow a bifurcated path... either Tags and leave or be traded.

Hope this clears it up.

That's some deep thinking Mac. It could be that Donald and his team are going for the impossible dream. It's not easy "to have your cake and eat it too" as Donald getting a 3 year opt out would give him both. If Donald and the Rams can't find common ground for conventional type a contract the Rams will have to go franchise tag 2x. I don't see any team spending both trade capital and cap capital to obtain Donald.

Week in and week out Donald is the best player on the field for the Rams. The Rams defense would be near average without him. I have accepted the trade possibility but, now I feel a deal needs to get done. A deal that benefits both sides if that's possible. Donald is such a big part of the defense it would be hard to plan with knowing is future with the Rams.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
OP, any less Tavon and he'll be inactive.

More Pharoh? Absolutely.

I would consider finding a second-tier tackle in free agency or investing a third or fourth in one they think can develop into a left tackle.

Left tackles are ultra important in our type of passing game in particular.

This is not a quick-strike offense where the left tackle has to sustain three or four pass blocks per drive.

This is a long drive, clock eating, sit the other team's offense type of passing game.

The left tackle has to pass block 7 to 10 times per drive.

We don't have anywhere near this good a offense without a Whitworth.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
That's some deep thinking Mac. It could be that Donald and his team are going for the impossible dream. It's not easy "to have your cake and eat it too" as Donald getting a 3 year opt out would give him both. If Donald and the Rams can't find common ground for conventional type a contract the Rams will have to go franchise tag 2x. I don't see any team spending both trade capital and cap capital to obtain Donald.

Week in and week out Donald is the best player on the field for the Rams. The Rams defense would be near average without him. I have accepted the trade possibility but, now I feel a deal needs to get done. A deal that benefits both sides if that's possible. Donald is such a big part of the defense it would be hard to plan with knowing is future with the Rams.

Well, and again, there's an optimistic alternative.

IF, IF, IF the opt-out was a defense mechanism to prevent AD from having to be on a perpetual loser, then perhaps that won't be necessary in this current environment. I mean, if ever there was a new environment that screamed future stability, this is it. I dunno of another new, young coaching situation other than Mike Tomlin where you saw right away that he was going to be there a LOOOOONG time with sustained success.

So there's that. Maybe because of the new culture, AD signs.

If you'll recall from Hard Knocks, AD is that guy who's competitive at EVERYTHING. Dood would probably try to "win" karaoke night. I mean, the guy walked out on ping-pong because the other guys weren't taking it seriously (I would, too, cuz ping-pong is SERIOUS BUSINESS).

So who knows? I'm hoping that's it and after this season, he's still not going for the opt-out because no team's going to give him that.

And after 3 years, he's looking for a mega-deal that's going to straddle 30? It won't be what he can get now, that's for sure.

Anyway, there's a chance things break the Rams way with AD due to the new culture and winning (and Wade. I mean, has anyone seen the Denver D without him? All that talent looks LOST without him...).

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Linebacker - and he shall wear number 42!
hhg2tg2-1024x426.jpg

Ugh coffee is my friend ...
I must add nose tackle and corner - they'll have to address their needs through both free agency and draft.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Fewer trick plays. Why get cute when we have the horses to beat teams straight up with the run and the pass?
maybe we don't have horses to beat people straight up? Look at 3rd and short conversions....how often do we just run right at people and "win"?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
See any besides Nate Solder who is even worth considerations?
Ty Nshke.....we had that dude too.

Malcolm Butler....really? Replace Tru with Malcolm? Cut Saffold? really??? Best lineman on team? Cut Quinn? Really? After how he's playing the last 3 weeks? Trade Tavon? LOLOLOL to whom???

Whit.....no his replacement isn't Lucas....a fine college player...made for Right Tackle...Whit isn't easy to replace...I wonder who he could have groomed with talent? hmmmmmm? neva mind....

Draft O-line, CB...and NG...priorities.....bpa....but based around needs....and NO, we don't need a DE or OLB....probably don't need any safeties...or wide receivers.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
maybe we don't have horses to beat people straight up? Look at 3rd and short conversions....how often do we just run right at people and "win"?

This element might change a bit here IF the Rams can get some luck in getting Malcolm Brown & Lance Dunbar healthy so they can partake of the weeks practices & give McVay some faith that they are not gimpy any longer.

Just take the Cards game for instance....the Cards were absent their best run stuffing DL. On top of that the were also missing one of their best tackling & hitting machines @ inside LB'er. On top of that the other starting DL did not practice all last week with a bad ankle & he was far from being 60 to 70 % but McVay did not pound the run & threw into a fully healthy secondary & pass rush unit! What you make of that?

Its my belief it was to spare Gurley for the first 3 quarters of the game to have him fresh for the final quarter. Why because his 2 healthy RB's (Dunbar & Austin) could not preform the basic RB retirements needed in HIS offense. Bad position to be in for Gurley & McVay. I would bet McVay will remedy this situation ASAP by both of those RB being gone when the 2018 season begins. Brown's knee may need surgery & his contract is over when this season concludes. Gurley will get a NEW very good complete RB to back him up by next season.

P.S> If a healthy young strong RB named Sam Rogers had figured out how to get off the Practice Squad (learn to be an effective last line protector for Goff & then you can run & catch the ball some) & Brown & Dunbar remain GIMPY could be a call up?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
IF the Rams can get some luck in getting Malcolm Brown & Lance Dunbar healthy so they can partake of the weeks practices
Dunbar is almost never healthy...this is Browns first opportunity to really contribute...and he's almost never healthy now either....Easier to get young guys that are hungry. And available to play.
but McVay did not pound the run & threw into a fully healthy secondary & pass rush unit! What you make of that?

Kinda...strange...but our offense is just trying to score....not particular how it's done...I don't think we run block extremely well....but we do pass underneath well....against anyones "strength"....I did think Gurley could run against them....but on several short plays, like 2nd and 1...3rd and 1...we just didn't get it done. Kinda frustrating.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
maybe we don't have horses to beat people straight up?
Oh, we have the horses.
But one of the things of a great offense is keeping the defense off balance.

That's why we call the play at the line of scrimmage.
That's why we ALWAYS have movement in the backfield.
That's why we have so many players that can catch AND run.

That is why that TD with Watkins worked so well, (as the announcers pointed out when they diagramed the play)
They broke from the huddle, the o-line immediately got into their stance, the skill players immediately went to their spots and the center immediately snapped the ball.

That defense was so befuddled that they left number one wide receiver Watkins wide open.

We really need to watch what McVay is doing on offense because he is truly revolutionising offensive football.

The offensive coaches we are playing, the defensive coaches we're playing, (other than Mike Zimmer) are both studying McVay, learning from McVay and trying to figure out how to stop McVay.

I know it's an old cliche but I really believe thay these coaches we are playing are actually losing sleep trying to figure out how to stop us.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I would be looking for a future left tackle - no question. I wouldn't pass on a better talent to grab one, but it would be on my radar.

On offense, I think the Rams take what is offered by the D and defenses are stacking up and inviting us to pass the ball. The ball is moving up and down the field just fine.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Oh, we have the horses.
But one of the things of a great offense is keeping the defense off balance.
There will be a game soon, when we are faced with a 3rd and 1 or 2....and we should probably run to get it...and we may pass instead.

I understand balance....keeping the defense off-balance. It's a cool thing. What happens when we have to run, and can't?

On the other side, what happens when we have to stop the run, and can't?

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
There will be a game soon, when we are faced with a 3rd and 1 or 2....and we should probably run to get it...and we may pass instead.

I understand balance....keeping the defense off-balance. It's a cool thing. What happens when we have to run, and can't?

On the other side, what happens when we have to stop the run, and can't?

Who sez we can’t?