Couple of questions for the board “deeper thinkers”...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
1. Cut/trade Quinn and Saffold (I realize that cutting Saffold is frowned upon, but we need cap room for our big signings.)

2. Sign NRC, Tru, and Malcolm Butler for cornerback, re-sign Tyrunn Walker to backup DE/DT, and sign Cassius Marsh (OLB, Whiners). (Also, I wouldn't object to Janoris coming back, if we can't get Butler/Tru.)

3. Sign Weston Richburg (C, Giants) and re-sign Sammy Watkins for the offense.

4. Re-sign Donald for whatever the fuck he wants.

5. Move Alec Ogletree to OLB.

6. Move Tanzel Smart to DE.

7. Promote Omarius Bryant to NT.

8. Trade Tavon and our fifth to a wide receiver needy team for a fourth round pick.

9. Select Da'Ron Payne (NT, Alabama) with our first round pick.

10. Trade Mannion to a quarterback needy team for a second round pick.

11. Select Mike McGlinchey (OT, Notre Dame) with said second round pick.

12. Select Sione Teuhema (OLB, Southeast Louisiana) with our third round pick.

13. Select Beau Benzschawel (OG, Wisconsin) with the first fourth round pick.

14. Select Josey Jewell (ILB, Iowa) with the second fourth round pick.

15. Draft two developmental corners with two of our three sixth round picks (I'm looking at Derrick Baity out of Kentucky and Nik Needham out of UTEP) and draft Myles Gaskin (RB, Washington) with the third sixth round pick.

16. Profit.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Whit isn't as dominant as he used to be, but he's still a very good LT. He's going to get beat every once in awhile by the great pass rushers, but he blanks them for most of the game. I do think planning for the future at LT should be a priority, though.

nighttrain

Legend
Whit isn't as dominant as he used to be, but he's still a very good LT. He's going to get beat every once in awhile by the great pass rushers, but he blanks them for most of the game. I do think planning for the future at LT should be a priority, though.
do you think there's any hope for Lucas, he has decent size
train

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I brought this up a couple of weeks ago in regards to Whit. I just don't see him going much further than the middle of next year. Age catches up with every player and it catches up quickly. I think he has the rest of this season covered and will be fine but when he goes, he'll go fast. I'd take a long look at a young LT in FA this offseason and the draft. I don't think we have anyone on our roster that can come close to what he does at the tackle position. Nor do I think we'll be lucky enough to find one first try. But who knows in this league it's all a crap shoot.

I don't think he struggled the last two games tho. If you look at the tape they were both coverage sacks. One where Goff hung back in the pocket for about 3 or 4 seconds and didn't step up and the other was a coverage sack/fumble. You can't put that on Whit. The best OLinemen can only block for 3 or 4 seconds one-on-one until the guy gets past them, especially a top 5 DE.

I honestly don't know what you're talking about when it comes to our Offense doing a total role reversal. Our Defense carrying our team??? What team are you watching? You gotta be stopped dude.
We are tied for the highest scoring offense in the league right now. We scored 32 and 26 against two very good defenses the last two weeks. Yes I know one of those TD's was a defensive TD but nonetheless we are getting the job done, and done nicely. Of course there's going to bumps along the way, there are going to be teams that stop our offense and there's going to be days were we are a little off. It happens, it's football and there's another equally talented team on the other side of the ball doing everything in their power to stop you. It's not always gonna go our way.
Is averaging 30+ points a game boring to you? Do you think we should be scoring 40 points a game? I'm just a little confused at this... It seems borderline trollish....
If this in any way offends you i apologize in advance, I'm just not sure why you're bringing this up. It's the laaaaaaaaaaaast thing thats wrong with our team. You want to talk about something that's wrong with our team???
Lets talk RUN DEFENSE. Then you'll have my ear. Until then, lets talk about things that the Rams are actually having issues with.
Again, I usually like your post very much, I just think you're being ultra critical of a team that has done a complete 180 this year in regards to offense and scoring points.
/end rant.

I do agree fewer trick plays, I would also like to get Cooper more involved in the game, even the run game on jet sweeps. He offers a bigger body than TA and to my surprise he seems just as explosive. Maybe more? We'll see. I don't think Watkins needs more touches, I think he's contributing in a West Coast offense where the philosophy is spread the ball around and keep the defenses guessing. Like others have pointed out the thing with a true WC system is it's about concepts and less about playmakers. It's just a bonus to have playmakers

Disagree on Gurleys touches, he needs a breather, and he needs to stay healthy and when Brown comes back he'll be on the sideline like he should. All good RBs have to come off at some point in the game.

I’ll try to clarify my “role reversal” statement, Jacobarch.

Without getting down into the weeds, our points scored of late are coming more and more from our D and/or with huge assists from big plays by our ST. Earlier in the season (through the first half of the Dallas game), our D was allowing points and yards and had to rely on scoring by the O time and again.

As to Gurley, McVay had called approx 15 passes and only 5 runs early on, and this with a 16-0 lead! Ass backwards! In addition, using Tavon has been largely an exercise in futility lately. Yeah, I know Gurley needs occasional breathers and Brown hasn’t been available. So, why not more Pharoh sweeps instead? And just a few Davis carries instead? I think Brown is now available so this issue is kinda moot.

As to Whit? Good point about the extended timing required. And I’m not panicking about his play. I was just raising the question about the wisdom of moving up our time frame for finding and acquiring Whit’s eventual replacement.

We agree on the need for improvement on run D, especially early in the games. I don’t think we can afford to wait for halftime adjustments when playing the likes of the Eagles and Seahawks, for example.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
More Gurley, Coach! Never reduce Gurley’s running touches. Period. Burns the clock and keeps opposing QB on the sideline.

He said he's trying not to run him into the ground because we're going to need him in the playoffs.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
He said he's trying not to run him into the ground because we're going to need him in the playoffs.
Yep. But (and this isn't a slight) I don't know how he can make that claim given his pragmatic nature. If the situation dictates throwing the ball 45 times, he's gonna throw the ball 45 times.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
No drafting offensive tackles in the first round!
It doesn' seem to work out for us and there is alot less risk bringing in a proven starter.
Yep your post is hard to argue against. It sure appears that @ the moment the Rams will be drafting somewhere in the last 3rd tier of the first round.

I am an very strong advocate if your have a need in the OL there's no better use of salary cap $$$'s as using it on a good starting seasoned OL. Rams have 1 starting center & 2 OLT's entering FA'cy first of March. @ the same time the Raams have the oldest in age starting LT in the NFL by 2 yrs. The closest starting LT now is Donald Penn in Oakland is 34 yrs old. That is alarming only a foolish GM looking to be fired would ignore this in the near future. But it not easy to accomplish.

Fact IMO that Rams do not have our future starting LT on this team presently. Lets take a look @ the LT's who will be involved in FA'cy in March below:

Nate Solder LT Patriots
Greg Robinson LT Lions
LaAdrian Waddle LT Patriots
Sam Young LT Dolphins
Will Beatty LT Eagles
Matt Tobin LT Seahawks
Bradley Sowell LT Bears
Amini Silatolu LT Panthers
Bryce Harris LT Saints
Cornelius Lucas LT Rams
Ty Nsekhe LT Redskins
John Wetzel LT Cardinals
Dan France LT Panthers
Elijah Wilkinson LT Broncos
Tyrus Thompson

See any besides Nate Solder who is even worth considerations? Nate is entering his prime yrs & earned over $11 million this season & he stands to get a sizeable pay increase. There are at least a dozen teams who need starting LT's his going price is rising every minute if the Pats don't sign him. So going & buying a proven starter next season would appear to be close to zero %.

The other four OL posts have much better UFA's on the 2018 UFA lists. One knows that with little to no starting LT out there in FA'cy the only other way is to draft them or try to groom a "get by & get your QB IR'd type". Thus NFL teams usually get a Black Friday type situation on the first day of the draft trying to get the teams perfect team gift ASAP! There a strong rush fast & hard of LT's off the drafting boards. Easy way to miss on this position like the Rams have with Alex Barron, Jason Smith & Greg Robinson :sick:.

Have any suggestions here?:thinking:

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
1. Cut/trade Quinn and Saffold (I realize that cutting Saffold is frowned upon, but we need cap room for our big signings.)

2. Sign NRC, Tru, and Malcolm Butler for cornerback, re-sign Tyrunn Walker to backup DE/DT, and sign Cassius Marsh (OLB, Whiners). (Also, I wouldn't object to Janoris coming back, if we can't get Butler/Tru.)

4. Re-sign Donald for whatever the freak he wants.

8. Trade Tavon and our fifth to a wide receiver needy team for a fourth round pick.

15. Draft two developmental corners with two of our three sixth round picks (I'm looking at Derrick Baity out of Kentucky and Nik Needham out of UTEP) and draft Myles Gaskin (RB, Washington) with the third sixth round pick.

16. Profit.

1) I'd keep Saffold and look to extend him now rather than wait, this will reduce his 2018 CAP hit. If Quinn keeps playing like he has been the last few games, doubt he gets cut even if he is now more of a situational pass rusher.

2) Just forget Tru. Re-sign NRC & Joyner. Full court press to sign Malcolm Butler, if this fails, #1 draft pick spent here.

3) Center can wait a year, re-sign Sullivan for two years, Blythe looks good in reserve and is signed thru the end of 2019.

4) No, ... he waits, and for once, a franchise tag, if necessary in 2019, would work in our financial favor. There is NO danger of losing him for at least 3 more years.

5) I like the idea of trying this, ... believe his extension was expensive & ill-timed, hopefully it doesn't turn out as bad as Austin's extension. Sign Wade Phillips' Denver ILB, free agent Todd Davis.

6) Tanzel is on the bubble, wouldn't be surprised if he's on our 2018 practice squad. We need a quality new DE or DT, one which either allows Brockers to remain outside or puts him back at NT. If Easley is healthy next year, Tanzel & Walker may both be in trouble.

7) I'd do this yesterday. He should get some valuable looks in next years camp.

8) I'll be surprised if we get anything for him, but give it a shot indeed.

9) This could be an OT, CB, DE, DT, LB or ... just so long as it's BPA.

10) I've been thinking a 3'rd so we can get what we paid for him. Time to draft a new young late-round rookie for our QB coaches to toy with. Either bring in a new veteran at # 2 QB or Brandon Allen better be ready.

11) We don't have a 2'nd round pick, and we won't get one for Mannion imo.

Last edited:

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Rams need to start planning for the future of the OL in general Saffold, Brown, Havenstein are all FAs after next season and the two other guys are veterans who could retire at anytime. Saffold is a low key extension candidate after guys like Donald, Joyner, and Watkins. He's been outstanding and most importantly healthy.

With all that said I see the rams addressing the defensive side of the ball first. This is a great CB class and the tackle class is average at best. Tru is good as gone and Webster is probably better off as the number 3 corner. I could also see the Rams going after a lower Key FA agent CB like Bashaud Breeland who is a former pupil of CB coach Aubrey Pleasant. Breeland is a handful, but word in Washington is Pleasant was the only guy who could reach him, so I could see him rejoining his former DB coach. Can never have too many pass rushers even though Ebukam is showing he may be ready to start full time next year and Quinn is finally starting to round into form.

Name
Seth Griffith
Thanks for the welcome. I’ve been on the board for years but just as an observer. I’ve been a Rams fan since I was 6.

As an old quarterback I just see things and because I’m so die hard on our Rams, I know the team as good as the next armchair quarterback.

Stop the trick plays on O. Keep showing the jet sweep and on occasion actually give it to Tavon or the motion man on the sweep.

What I would personally like to see on the jet sweep would be to hard sell it as Gurley delays and then heads into the flats or a quick out and up route (not quite a chair route but similar concept). I think if we want to get cute, try it with Gurley more than Tavon. Tavon needs to be coached up a bit more on how to get north and south with that sub 4.4 speed. Honestly, if he took the minimum 3-4 yards on most of his RAC he would probably break one instead of the dancing for minimal gains. Just part of my .02 since I’ve decided to start posting on here

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Yep your post is hard to argue against. It sure appears that @ the moment the Rams will be drafting somewhere in the last 3rd tier of the first round.

I am an very strong advocate if your have a need in the OL there's no better use of salary cap $$$'s as using it on a good starting seasoned OL. Rams have 1 starting center & 2 OLT's entering FA'cy first of March. @ the same time the Raams have the oldest in age starting LT in the NFL by 2 yrs. The closest starting LT now is Donald Penn in Oakland is 34 yrs old. That is alarming only a foolish GM looking to be fired would ignore this in the near future. But it not easy to accomplish.

Fact IMO that Rams do not have our future starting LT on this team presently. Lets take a look @ the LT's who will be involved in FA'cy in March below:

Nate Solder LT Patriots
Greg Robinson LT Lions
LaAdrian Waddle LT Patriots
Sam Young LT Dolphins
Will Beatty LT Eagles
Matt Tobin LT Seahawks
Bradley Sowell LT Bears
Amini Silatolu LT Panthers
Bryce Harris LT Saints
Cornelius Lucas LT Rams
Ty Nsekhe LT Redskins
John Wetzel LT Cardinals
Dan France LT Panthers
Elijah Wilkinson LT Broncos
Tyrus Thompson

See any besides Nate Solder who is even worth considerations? Nate is entering his prime yrs & earned over $11 million this season & he stands to get a sizeable pay increase. There are at least a dozen teams who need starting LT's his going price is rising every minute if the Pats don't sign him. So going & buying a proven starter next season would appear to be close to zero %.

The other four OL posts have much better UFA's on the 2018 UFA lists. One knows that with little to no starting LT out there in FA'cy the only other way is to draft them or try to groom a "get by & get your QB IR'd type". Thus NFL teams usually get a Black Friday type situation on the first day of the draft trying to get the teams perfect team gift ASAP! There a strong rush fast & hard of LT's off the drafting boards. Easy way to miss on this position like the Rams have with Alex Barron, Jason Smith & Greg Robinson :sick:.

Have any suggestions here?:thinking:
I think whitworth will be fine for 2 more years , I know they need to find s tackle but I just can't agree with drafting tackles in the first round . It has not worked for us and I think a starter in secondary is more important . Who knows we will see , never though we could of pulled whitworth, woods, Watkins in 1 year .

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

4. Re-sign Donald for whatever the freak he wants.

16. Profit.

Just my takes on this and you know I like your draft/free agency work.

1) In the end I think Saffold might be more than what we need to do. I made a post the other day that after signing AD with a huge 1st year bonus and sign our draft picks we could simply cut/trade Quinn and Tavon to get us to about $30 million. That's what's left after AD and the rookies.

2) I'm at the point I'd be ok with Tru walking. Resign NRC and Joyner I don't know much about that OLB but you have us moving Tree and signing an OLB and drafting an OLB. That's adding three and only getting rid of two (with not resigning Barwin). Ebukam and Tree starting with a rookie, Longacre and Price right now. We normally carry 4 OLB on the active we have 5 right now with Thompson active. Not a huge Butler fan but I understand the Vet signing.

3) Sign me up for Sammy but I'm good with Sullivan, Blythe and Eldrenkamp on the PS.

4) Should be a done deal when the bonuses hit next years cap.

5,6 and 7) I could see though I don't think they're major moves. Smart has a lot of work but he's good depth and Bryant strikes me more as a 3-4 DE not a NT. We need a beefy space eater maybe John Jenkins?

8) If we can get anything for him then sure.

9) 1st round Ideally I'd love to see Josh Johnson CB Iowa fall to us. Isaiah Oliver or Denzel Ward would be two other good options.

10 and 11) Are we going into 2018 with Allen as our only backup? A 2nd rounder would be nice but having Mannion as our backup is too. Not sure I do this unless McVay and company are confident in Allen.

12) 3rd round Select Lorenzo Carter OLB Georgia. Him on one side and Ebukam on the other and cash in with two dynamic young OLB for Wade to work with.

13) 4th round Benzschawel is nice so is Tyrone Crowder from Clemson.

14) 5th rounder select a small school monster of a LT Alex Cappa. 6'7" 305 lbs that Whitworth and Kromer can beef up and mold for 2 years.

15) 6th rounders RB Rashaad Penny SD St (I've also read Bo Scarborough could fall to this area). I've read a lot of good about Baity and Dunlap from Illinois take one of them (just my choices) and ILB Dante Booker Ohio St.

16) Last pick I'm starting at NT day one after Johnson and Wade work with him hard this off season is Merrick Jackson NT Minnesota!

That was fun though haven't actually put it together on paper yet. Now that that's done it's on to Philly as they say :D

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I think whitworth will be fine for 2 more years , I know they need to find s tackle but I just can't agree with drafting tackles in the first round . It has not worked for us and I think a starter in secondary is more important . Who knows we will see , never though we could of pulled whitworth, woods, Watkins in 1 year .

Can't quit on trying something new where another management team failed. I'll trust McVay & Kromer until they prove I can't. Drafting a top OT for a reserve role may mean having a starting OG while the future OT is mentored by a guy like Wentworth, and being influenced by someone as highly regarded as Whitworth shouldn't be regarded lightly. jmo.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
do you think there's any hope for Lucas, he has decent size
train
Evening your question is a good one nighttrain.(y) I read pretty deep on this massive OL'er. Most of his college & NFL career he has been LT. There is a problem with him that's made him part of the WWC unit...focus or lack of it. Make coaches go crazy. Its my belief that Kromer brought him in here to see if he has mature & his brain grown in finally. Its a gamble.

IMO only that he is not a LT prospect here he is a RT prospect instead. Lucas has traits better suited for the right side. If Kromer can get this 6-9 330 plus pounder turned the right way he may be signed in March @ a econo priced contract with the thought in mind that he just might be a solid back up Havenstein.

For now the emergency game day back up LT for old man "living on borrowed NFL time" Whitworth, is UDFA with just 17 NFL games under his belt with very few NFL snaps in the offense is ...........Darrell Williams. I guess The Rams & Kromer are OK with that:unsure:.
Not getting a replacement for our #1 top corner would cause one serious defensive secondary situation. Drafting a starter is something that must be accomplished in 2018 draft in order for this Wade D to be competitive. This must be achieved in this draft! Ned to understand too that our #2 corner will be a UFA in 2019.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler

Not disputing what you're saying, but by the same token: some RBs need a few carries before they find their groove and crank it up to that next gear.

Marshall Faulk had the ability to bust off a huge run on his first carry. Some backs are wired that way.

Gurley, on the other hand, needs a few carries under his belt to get revved up. Adrian Peterson is similar in that regard. With that in mind, I'd like to see Gurley in the occasional game where he gets 20-25 carries.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Gurley, on the other hand, needs a few carries under his belt to get revved up. Adrian Peterson is similar in that regard. With that in mind, I'd like to see Gurley in the occasional game where he gets 20-25 carries.

Steven Jackson was famous for this.