Couple of questions for the board “deeper thinkers”...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
maybe we don't have horses to beat people straight up? Look at 3rd and short conversions....how often do we just run right at people and "win"?

We do

Against the Vikes, people thought we couldn’t run.

Well, we couldn’t run zone.

What we could do was run trap and iso...we just didn’t call them enough.

They didn’t stop Gurley on the trap.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Deep thinker I am not, however I'm happy to punt my opinion over to you...

Should the Rams move the drafting of a future replacement for Whit a bit higher up their offseason priority list?
I think McVay, Snead and Kromer will be doing due diligence on the o-line, I remember last year McVay saying that Kromer liked what the Rams already had to anyone in the draft, I don't think they'll select one just for the sake of it, they will draft the BPA for McVay's scheme.

Early in the season our O seemed unstoppable. Perfect scheming and playcalling. It was carrying Wade’s D. But now? Seems to be a complete role reversal. Now our D and ST seem to be carrying our O. What to do? Thoughts, anyone?
We faced easier D's, the teams we've been playing recently have been better teams. Our O is still humming along nicely.

More Gurley, Coach! Never reduce Gurley’s running touches. Period.
He does seem to be a guy that gets better the more he plays. But you can't flog him to death. The guy has 939 rushing yards, 516 receiving yards and 11 TDs... In my book that's not bad!

Fewer trick plays. Why get cute when we have the horses to beat teams straight up with the run and the pass?
The creative plays have worked nicely for us, while I'm happy to stick to the basics, opposing D's are getting better at covering them, I think McVay's creativity is a thing of beauty and the guys seem to feed off it

More Pharoh, less Tavon.
I think Tavon demand more coverage from opposing D's which causes more space for Gurley and the other WRs.

Can we please have a few more Watkins targets?
They are coming my friend, he's scored 4 TDs in the last 5 games and 264 yards, in a an O where the ball s thrown around to various targets thats good

Time to unleash Everett.
There must be a reason McVay is being cautious here, he has a lot of experience coaching TEs, in McVay I trust.

I sure hope that McVay and his O staff do some really serious self scouting this week.
This is definitely happening, he's a guy that loves to self evaluate.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
If a healthy young strong RB named Sam Rogers had figured out how to get off the Practice Squad (learn to be an effective last line protector for Goff & then you can run & catch the ball some) & Brown & Dunbar remain GIMPY could be a call up?
That point keeps iterating in my mind as well, whether it be Austin running up the middle, Brown and Dunbar's health, Gurley getting most if not all of the snaps and a reluctance to rush the football yet the draft Sam Rogers and put him on the practice squad.

7th round or not, what role did they have in mind when they drafted him?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
That point keeps iterating in my mind as well, whether it be Austin running up the middle, Brown and Dunbar's health, Gurley getting most if not all of the snaps and a reluctance to rush the football yet the draft Sam Rogers and put him on the practice squad.

7th round or not, what role did they have in mind when they drafted him?
Good Question here..... IMO Sam was drafted to play the Move Back Derek Carrier role. McVay was able to get Carrier & that pushed Sam out of the 2017 picture. Sam was never going to be anything other than a 2 to 3 carry a game role. I also think he was drafted to be a special teams player but up to this time there has not been any real need of course all of this is positive not negative on Sam.

One would expect that McVay will try to resign Derek Carrier when his contract end here in 3 months too. I would also think that Sam will be offered a 2018 contract too econo valued. Sam is sure to be that much better & bigger when the 2018 TC gets under way where he will get an opportunity to have a bigger role with this team .

Both Lance Dunbar & Malcolm Brown will enter the FA'cy but Dunbar is sure to not return whereas Brown will be a highly likely resign.Dunbar $1.5 million spent for his non services is sure to leave a bad taste in the Ram Org. His knee must be damaged far more than anyone thought. But the Dallas Cowboys knew. Sam has a better chance to play if he can play RB/FB position.

Next season the Rams stand to bring five MCVay type TE/Move Backs...Gerald Everett, Tyler Higbee, Temarrick Hemingway, Derek Carrier & Johnny Mundt. Not much room for Sam to get much room here but he will get a chance With the possible departures of 3 Ram RB's by 2018 regular season beginning .

Gurley will already enter his 4th season in 2018 & is sure to get his 5th yr first round extension or a complete new multi million $5 yr contract @ sometime in late 2018. Rams will need to make plans to reduce his work load in the 2nd & 3rd quarters of the Game. Gurley has taken a beating thus far but remains operational thanks to Dunbar's MIA action & Brown bad knee.

If Austin Davis fails to pick up the #1 priority assignment of a Ram RB....last line of protection for Goff then Davis will be joining the WWC's when the 2018 season begins. Rams do have 5 or 6 third day draft selections where they can replace all three of this season roster spots ...Lance Dunbar, Austin Davis & Tavon Austin if desired.

Here's just one Draft site's comments on this Ram 6th rd selection:
A little ball of aggression. Able to play on all three downs. Has experience as ball carrier, pass catcher, pass protector and lead blocker. Can block from multiple sets and formations. Consistently productive for three consecutive years. Low center of gravity provides additional power as a runner. Carries good acceleration and knee bend to his target. Viable play-action pass catching fullback. Gives good effort as a blocker. Able to stuff and seal on down blocks from wingback spot.

Last edited: