Could Dominique Easley Be a Starting 3-4 DE?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I like Easley....I liked Fairley a little more....I see a draft pick...And I've seen a few guys that have been overlooked that could really help us.
I don't mind starting Easley. I just want a real backup behind him.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
C-EfStDXcAEZDab.jpg

View: https://twitter.com/RamsNFL/status/856001483283677184

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It's been said before, I'll just say it again! Easley is a Very nice " Rotational Player" I don't see him as a starting 3-4 DE PERIOD!!!

The Rams need to Draft one!!(y);):D

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I don't know what happened in NE... but he seems to be fitting in with Rams!

(y)

http://nesn.com/2016/06/dominique-easley-now-with-rams-putting-messy-patriots-breakup-behind-him/

Dominique Easley’s career in New England came to an inauspicious and premature end when the Patriots released him just two years after drafting him in the first round. Easley ended each of his first two NFL seasons on injured reserve, but it was widely reported that off-field issues, not injuries, led to his release, with one anonymous teammate even calling the defensive end a “locker room cancer.”

Easley declined to address the aforementioned reports of his poor standing in New England’s locker room, dismissing them as “rumors” started by people who do not truly know him. “There’s been, obviously, stuff said about me,” he said. “We don’t know where it came from — obviously, the person doesn’t want to come out and say it, either.

As far as I know, it’s all rumors until that person comes out and says that was from them and they can prove that they actually know who I am or have been around me long enough to know who I am and how I am as a person.”

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Absolutely he can be a starting DE in our 3-4. We have lots of depth, people may not like him or the depth but it's there.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yes he can play strong side DE in this defense, could play either DE really. Question is whether he's the best option opposite Donald. He's going to get more penetration and pressures than Brock will, but he'd probably blow gap assignments more often too though.

I'm gonna wait until after the draft and see how the roster looks. Worst case for him he'll be a key part of the rotation.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
No, but he'll certainly be an excellent rotation player. Give him reps on all 3 downs and you nullify his effectiveness

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Didn't PFF Ray easily second only to Donald in 2015?

I think the measurable was production per snap.

Sometimes players end up on injured reserve because they're playing over their heads.

I do think that the Rams plans are to start him at DE.

One of the many fun things to look forward to finding out in Camp and Preseason is if he can stand up and be that starter as he was drafted originally to be by New England. :D

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
The first line should read; *didn't PFF rate Easily*.

The browser on my phone is not giving me all of the edit options. Sorry about the corrections that should have been made before I pushed the Post Reply button.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
There was many reasons we seen Easley getting so much more % of snaps in 2016.....none of it was planned.

#1-Constant nagging injuries to interior DL'er Micheal Brockers.
#2-The departure of Rob Quinn for the second straight season from the starting defensive front thus leaving the Rams with only 1 pass rusher in its DL.
#3- Fishers previous highly utilized interior pass rushers (Hayes & Sims) were both now full time starters.
#4 Fact that RDE Sims as a pass rusher had Zero effectiveness, requiring interior DL'er Donald move outside something not seen in his previous 2014/2015 seasons.

IF as most expect that pass rushers ex pro bowlers Barwin & Quinn will be what they were back 2 years ago ;) then the need of utilizing the pass rusher like a interior DL'er Easley @ a high % falls dramatically!

I expect to see much more movement as to where the 3 starters end up when the ball is put in play. I also expect Wade to be constantly moving in & out of players in massive rotations. In the end I still maintain that the depth chart will look like this:

RDE-Donald/Easley/Fox
NT-Brockers/Walker/Tricant-Pasat
LDE-Westbrooks/Longacre

P.S. Things could change dramatically if a DL'ers Malik McDowell or Taco Charlton
drops down to us in the 2nd rd. @ #37

And or a 34 DE like Carl Lawson or DE Tarell Basham falls into Snead arms in the third rd. @ #69.

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I actually see a Camp battle between Easley and Westbrooks for the starter position at LDE.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
AS you know I have voiced my concerns for many months on this depth issue @ OLB'er. This is an excellent point on the "Phillips' scheme is reliant on outside pressure from both OLBs".

I am hoping that all those very good pass rushing 34 tweeners (OSLB'ers) will be still on the board on the third day. Then the Rams can finally benefit from the huge volume of these 34 D type players we see each & every draft for decades coming out of the college ranks. Great value to be had here along with NT's. A good example of what I am suggesting is the drafting of Elvis Dumervil types on the 3rd day of the drafts.

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
No, but he'll certainly be an excellent rotation player. Give him reps on all 3 downs and you nullify his effectiveness

I stated earlier that he will be better with less than a full load of playing time.

RDE-Donald/Easley/Fox
NT-Brockers/Walker/Tricant-Pasat
LDE-Westbrooks/Longacre

It's hard to figure out at this point (at least for me). I think there will be a lot of moving around depending on down and distance. Easley, Brockers could play both NT DE and evenTrincat-Passat. I guess Fox and Longacre could move play DL and backup at OLB. It will be interesting to what happens when the dust settle.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
In 2010 Easley played in five games as a true freshman, recording four tackles & was limited all year by an ankle injury.

In 2011 Easley earned a starting defensive tackle spot in '11 and played in 12 games, recording 37-7.5-1.5 sacks. In October, he was involved in an altercation with former Alabama football player Reggie Myles. After an investigation, the University of Florida Police Department recommended he be charged with misdemeanor battery, but the State Attorney's Office declined to press charges. In the regular-season finale against Florida State, he tore the ACL in his left knee and missed playing in the Gator Bowl.

In 2012 Easley started 11 games at defensive end. Missed two games with a sprained meniscus.

In 2013 Easley started the first three games @ DT. His season was cut short when he ruptured his right ACL and medial meniscus. Bottom line in his 4 yrs in college he has had injuries. Easley had two major serious injuries where tore his ACL in both knees in college.

In 2014 Easley was drafted by NE Pats only started 2 games. Spent 11 weeks on the injury list with knee placed on Injured Reserve.

In 2015 Easley only started 1 game. He tore his quadriceps in 2015 & was placed on the Injured Reserve.

In 2016 Easley was released by the Pats. Signed with us & had his first injury free season since 2010. Did not have any starts but saw a ton of action & played outstanding in the relief role. I would really prefer to use him the same as he was used in 2016.

In conclusion Easley has been injury free 1 out of 7 seasons:cautious:.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
By the research Bonifay has provided above, it looks like we would be lucky to have Easley work even in a rotation

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
And hopefully 2016 shows that his knee is entirely healed up. Hopefully.