Could Dominique Easley Be a Starting 3-4 DE?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Short answer IMO yes. With Brockers banged up last season Easley played the second most defensive interior snaps behind Donald and was the second best pressure generator after Quinn went down. Similar to Donald, Easley excels attacking gaps and penetrating the hallmark of a Wade Phillips defense. He has an explosive first step, plays with good pad level, and has active hands. Stunt him slant him and let him wreck havoc opposite Donald. Ideally the Rams don't play him as many snaps as you would Donald, but you can still start him and rotate him.

Breaking down his fit:

In the play above Easley is lined up outside the tackle not his customary 3 tech position. He is explosive and has great movement abaility for a bigger man so he is able to come all the way around to the A gap on a stunt and hit the QB forcing a quick throw.

Easley is lined up outside the tackle once again. This time the pats slant him and he fires low off the ball bull rushes the guard right into the QBs grill forcing a quick errant throw.

Every Rams fan should watch Easley's 2013 Sugar Bowl game against Louisville. He dominated playing against NFL talent like our own Jamon Brown and former Kroemer pupil John Miller. Wherever he lined he was wrecking havoc with his penetration, even when they tried to double team him. They played him everywhere 5 tech, 3 tech, NT, 4 tech, and lined up outside the tackle.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wouldn't bank on him simply because he's never done it. Yes last year he had a lot of snaps and I'd imagine as a rotational piece he'll continue to be good. But in 2 years with New England before coming over here he started 3 games and was inactive for 10. Best analogy for me is why mess with a good thing? He came over here and was a very good rotational piece. There's really no reason to mess with that.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
Easley has the talent.

He has proved best in a rotation however. Have to make sure to keep him fresh

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
In my opinion, he was one of our best pick ups during the Fisher era. The guy is a great talent with a very quick first step off the snap, I would love to lock him up at an affordable rate.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't bank on him simply because he's never done it. Yes last year he had a lot of snaps and I'd imagine as a rotational piece he'll continue to be good. But in 2 years with New England before coming over here he started 3 games and was inactive for 10. Best analogy for me is why mess with a good thing? He came over here and was a very good rotational piece. There's really no reason to mess with that.

New England moved on from him because of off field issues if I remember correctly. He had some knee issues early and NE did not like how he rehabbed. Also he had issues with his dog and recorded himself speeding through traffic which he up loaded on Reddit.

The reason I mention this is Belicheck will hold a grudge against players and make them inactive if they don't kiss the rings. Like they did with Sheard this year he will make you inactive even if healthy.

If Easly is healthy and that was a concern at UF and NE and he is not swerving through traffic he could probably handle more of a work load.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
New England moved on from him because of off field issues if I remember correctly. He had some knee issues early and NE did not like how he rehabbed. Also he had issues with his dog and recorded himself speeding through traffic which he up loaded on Reddit.

The reason I mention this is Belicheck will hold a grudge against players and make them inactive if they don't kiss the rings. Like they did with Sheard this year he will make you inactive even if healthy.

If Easly is healthy and that was a concern at UF and NE and he is not swerving through traffic he could probably handle more of a work load.

Player Team Position Total Snaps Off Snaps Off Snap Pct Def Snaps Def Snap Pct ST Snaps ST Snap Pct
99-A.Donald LARM/STL DL 892 0 #N/A 828 #N/A 64 #N/A
97-E.Sims LARM/STL DL 678 0 #N/A 536 #N/A 142 #N/A
93-E.Westbrooks LARM/STL DL 606 0 #N/A 533 #N/A 73 #N/A
95-W.Hayes LARM/STL DL 520 0 #N/A 513 #N/A 7 #N/A
91-D.Easley LARM/STL DL 494 0 #N/A 470 #N/A 24 #N/A
90-M.Brockers LARM/STL DL 476 0 #N/A 418 #N/A 58 #N/A
92-C.Thomas LARM/STL DL 435 0 #N/A 392 #N/A 43 #N/A
94-R.Quinn LARM/STL DL 397 0 #N/A 370 #N/A 27 #N/A
96-M.Longacre LARM/STL DL 199 0 #N/A 157 #N/A 42 #N/A
70-M.Fox LARM/STL DL 93 0 #N/A 75 #N/A 18 #N/A

Doesn't copy well but he was 5th on the Rams last year in snaps. And 2 of the 4 guys ahead of him are gone. I don't see a reason to change that honestly and put him out more. Brockers stays healthy and with our other free agent signings and scheme change I'd look for him to be in the 3-5 range of snaps taken.

Ram65

Legend
He has great the quickness but, lacks strength and power. I liked him last year and think he should be in a rotation. I wouldn't overload him at this point.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams look to have a decent chance to adjust to the 3-4 with the current players they have on the DL. I can't imagine Wade being as worried about the DL as he is the backfield. The Barwin signing probably eases his mind about the LB corp. I still want TJ to stay.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He played in a 3-4 in college, but I'd rather he not be a starter for us. I don't want to have to rely on him in that sort of role. He's known for freelancing and not taking care of injuries like he should. I'd rather he not be in a role that's integral to our success.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Player Team Position Total Snaps Off Snaps Off Snap Pct Def Snaps Def Snap Pct ST Snaps ST Snap Pct

Doesn't copy well but he was 5th on the Rams last year in snaps. And 2 of the 4 guys ahead of him are gone. I don't see a reason to change that honestly and put him out more. Brockers stays healthy and with our other free agent signings and scheme change I'd look for him to be in the 3-5 range of snaps taken.

I agree with you, was giving a reason why I think he could play more, that's all.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Like I said Easley was 2nd among interior lineman Simms and Westbrooks played on the edge and played more because we were really banged up there. Being 3rd in d-line snaps next year would means he would be playing starter snaps since a 3-4 has three down lineman.

Here are the snap counts of Wade's starting DL last year. Crick played 939, Wolfe played 663 in 14 games, and Williams played 644. Obviously Donald will do the heavy lifting playing around Crick's number and Brockers will probably be 2nd in DL snaps. So the question becomes can Easley play around 150 more snaps over the course of the season which averages out to about 9 more snaps per game and still be effective. IMO he can definitely do that. Like I said before ideally you have a solid rotational option behind him and that could be a rookie or Walker.

Ram65

Legend
Like I said Easley was 2nd among interior lineman Simms and Westbrooks played on the edge and played more because we were really banged up there. Being 3rd in d-line snaps next year would means he would be playing starter snaps since a 3-4 has three down lineman.

Here are the snap counts of Wade's starting DL last year. Crick played 939, Wolfe played 663 in 14 games, and Williams played 644. Obviously Donald will do the heavy lifting playing around Crick's number and Brockers will probably be 2nd in DL snaps. So the question becomes can Easley play around 150 more snaps over the course of the season which averages out to about 9 more snaps per game and still be effective. IMO he can definitely do that. Like I said before ideally you have a solid rotational option behind him and that could be a rookie or Walker.

I equate it to Robert Hayes. Hayes played is best football by far in a rotation. He was not as effective taking over for Chris Long as a starter. I know they are different players and circumstances but, some players are better when they can be in a rotation.That's my gut feeling on Easley. Easley's first step quickness is his strength and would be less effect as he tires. If he got into a great offseason workout maybe he can up his reps and still be effective. Hopefully, Wade can find an effective rotation to keep them all fresh.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I equate it to Robert Hayes. Hayes played is best football by far in a rotation. He was not as effective taking over for Chris Long as a starter. I know they are different players and circumstances but, some players are better when they can be in a rotation.That's my gut feeling on Easley. Easley's first step quickness is his strength and would be less effect as he tires. If he got into a great offseason workout maybe he can up his reps and still be effective. Hopefully, Wade can find an effective rotation to keep them all fresh.

I don't think the two situations are equivalent but, there are some similarities. Hayes was viewed as a rotational guy, but was forced to step up and play more snaps with Long's injury problems and he performed well. For all intensive purposes William Hayes has been a starter for the past 3 seasons and IMO there wasn't any real drop off in his play. Even though he played starter snaps, he was still in a rotation. With Quinn being hurt so much Hayes was easily our best DE and arguably the second best lineman on the team during that time period.

Second just because a player starts that doesn't mean they are not in a rotation. Like I said before, ideally if Easley starts you still have a rookie or Walker rotating behind him. The difference is you ask him to play about 9 more snaps per game. I don't think his effectiveness will take a hit if it even effects him at all with that kind of playing time increase.

Ram65

Legend
I don't think the two situations are equivalent but, there are some similarities. Hayes was viewed as a rotational guy, but was forced to step up and play more snaps with Long's injury problems and he performed well. For all intensive purposes William Hayes has been a starter for the past 3 seasons and IMO there wasn't any real drop off in his play. Even though he played starter snaps, he was still in a rotation. With Quinn being hurt so much Hayes was easily our best DE and arguably the second best lineman on the team during that time period.

Second just because a player starts that doesn't mean they are not in a rotation. Like I said before, ideally if Easley starts you still have a rookie or Walker rotating behind him. The difference is you ask him to play about 9 more snaps per game. I don't think his effectiveness will take a hit if it even effects him at all with that kind of playing time increase.

William Hayes not Robert..lol

We could debate the similarities and differences of Hayes and Easley on and on. I will say Easley wasn't a starter in NE nor really much of a part time player. Hayes had his highest 7 sack total in his first year with the Rams with less playing time. It's my opinion he was more effective with less playing time. Easley could be the starter and have a rookie rotate. Like I stated before I wouldn't over do it with him. We can agree to disagree but I think we are closer than it may appear. Putting a number of snaps on Easley's playing time may not matter as the Rams new offense and defense should cut down the defenses time on the field and plays against.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would put Dom Easley in a position where he could make the biggest impact. That role is as the top rotational DL'er reserve @ all three DL posts in passing situations. Key is keeping him fresh & fast! I would not place him in a HD role. Those heavy lifting duties would go to DL'ers like Ethan Westbrooks or Matt Longacre.

Some of you might recall me posting last season after Quinn faded away that I wanted Easley starting more @ RDE in place of Eugene Sims but Gregg Williams thought it best to limit Easley inside. May have been good decision but I am sure Easley would have performed much better @ RDE than Sims. Having a pass rusher like Easley is a great gift & better use him in that capacity!