Could all drug suspensions be overturned by tomorrow?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Bailey was suspended for PED's. Does this mean he's out of luck? He should have consulted Richard Sherman as to how to not get suspended.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
3. All players who tested positive or who were otherwise disciplined or placed into the drug or PED program will have retroactivity, with the new rules being reapplied as of March 11, 2014.
Guess that answers my question. Do those players get retroactively paid for the week they missed?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If I was one of those players I wouldn't bring the subject up. :whistle:

If I were a player suspended in 2012 watching these guys get off their suspensions for the same stuff, I'd demand my game checks back that I gave up. How can you apply it retroactively to a small few?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I believe the NFL can do " what it damn well pleases " and usually does! Their NOT a Democratic Organization, It's more like a Dictatorship.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I believe the argument - at least by the Ravens - is that Rice did not actually tell the truth about his behavior. That she initiated it and he slapped her a little too hard to protect himself and she fell and hit her head. The video shows that he initiated it by spitting on her, and then cold cocked her. Thus justifying reopening the case. It doesn't help Rice that the NFLPA does not want to defend him in any way, shape, or form - after that video came out he's a pariah.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
If I was one of those players I wouldn't bring the subject up. :whistle:

I most certainly WOULD bring it up - at least if I was an agent. My client's not going to be paid for time the league rules say he is no longer being punished for?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The commissioner has always had the power to do an indefinite suspension for serious enough behavior, unless it's something they have bargained upon with the NFLPA. For instance, the penalties for PEDs are spelled out by an agreement with the NFLPA. The penalties for committing a violent crime have always been on an ad hoc basis. IIRC, the NFLPA can appeal some things to arbitration. They do not have to do so though. Maybe after Rice has been suspended for a season and has shown enough contriteness and undergone enough counseling they will choose to appeal.

But if Rice lied about what he did and evidence that was not factored in to the original penalty is found - well, Rice effed up by lying about things and giving them an opening to reopen.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
yeah.
If he was under the 35 ng/ml, he should be reinstated immediately.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/12/nflpa-reps-approve-new-drug-testing-policy/
NFLPA reps approve new drug-testing policy
Posted by Michael David Smith on September 12, 2014

1c13e9dda5ebcab5a33c8a65c70061e7.jpg
Getty Images

A miserable week for the NFL has ended with some potentially good news, as the league and the players have come to an agreement on a new drug-testing policy.

The 32 player representatives voted moments ago on an NFL Players Association conference call to accept the owners’ proposal on drug testing.

We stood up and fought for what was right,” NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith said in a statement. “Twenty-five years ago it was NFL players that set out to make the game clean by asking for and collectively bargaining the first drug testing policy in professional sports. Today, this union and these player leaders have approved a policy that will serve the game well for generations of players to come.”

The most significant long-term aspect of the new policy is that players will be blood tested for the use of human growth hormone. Although that testing won’t begin immediately, once it is implemented it will represent a significant step forward in the NFL’s efforts to crack down on the use of performance-enhancing substances.

But the more immediate implication is that policies regarding the offseason use of amphetamines and the presence of trace amounts of marijuana in players’ urine will change. That policy will be applied retroactively for some players who are currently serving suspensions.

That means that if all the ‘i’s can be dotted and all the ‘t’s can be crossed immediately, suspended players including Broncos receiver Wes Welker and Cowboys cornerbackOrlando Scandrick can be reinstated soon enough to play on Sunday.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
I wonder if Bailey would be activated for Sunday's game if the Rams are allowed to do so? Wishful thinking, I know.

RamWoodie

Legend

There has to be something definitive when it comes to this policy! There's stuff you can legally buy at GNC that will get you suspended by the NFL!

We have a society where many folks are sucking down "Red Bull" to make it through the day...and it proven energy drinks can be harmful physically. What do you do with that?

V3

Hall of Fame
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-be-suspended-10-games-under-new-drug-policy/

Josh Gordon will be suspended 10 games under new drug policy
Posted by Mike Florio on September 12, 2014

gordon10.jpg
Getty Images

Josh Gordon has been freed. Sort of. Kind of. Eventually.

A league source confirms that the Browns receiver’s suspension will be reduced from 16 to 10 games as a result of the new substance-abuse policy. The specifics aren’t clear, given that his latest positive test for marijuana exceeded the prior threshold of 15 ng/ml by only one ng/ml. The new limit is 35 ng/ml.

Gordon also will be subject to another two-game suspension once his pending DUI charges are resolved, if he is convicted or pleads guilty to the charges. It’s unlikely that those charges will be resolved before the end of the 2014 regular season.

Of course, further violations of the substance-abuse policy could result in additional discipline for Gordon. For now, though, it appears he’ll be back with the Browns in time for the final six games of the year.
Not sure I understand why other players get absolved of their violations while Gordon is not?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Not sure I understand why other players get absolved of their violations while Gordon is not?
It may have something to do with multiple violations.
But yeah, if he was under the limit, the charges should have been expunged.

V3

Hall of Fame
It may have something to do with multiple violations.
But yeah, if he was under the limit, the charges should have been expunged.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but under the last deal, didn't you have to fail once before you could be suspended? That would mean players like Bailey, Welker, etc had already failed something before and since it was their second offense, they received suspensions? Maybe I'm wrong on that?