Cooper Kupp generated the highest passer rating in the nfl vs press coverage

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I was told that Kupp wouldn't be able to beat press coverage in the NFL.

Kupp is the antithesis of on-paper stat. I can remember a lot of people saying that he wouldn't to beat coverage, was too slow, hadn't played against good opposition etc for the NFL. I think this must have been from reporters / people who hadn't watched ANY tape on hm apart from at the combine. They guy is just an excellent football player, understands the game, understands his role and his on the field quickness is evident - So glad that McVay and Snead got him.

I'm sure if the draft was re-run he's have gone in the 1st!

TexasRam

Legend

Yea Gurley caused pain to.

But I was thinking in the context of how and why Kupp was able to have such a
Great rookie season.

He was excellent, and the Goff and Oline factor combined to really make
His rookie season special.

Ya know?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
He will make a jump this season....a big jump. No more big drops, but more big plays.

I’m afraid of injury ? He looked banged up at the end of the season. He did really shine when Woods went out. Sammy Watkins not as much , which says something.

I think McVay talked about Josh Reynolds . (Don’t know how to send video. ) It was the NO game & he had a huge TD catch. Jared Goff as I recalled talked about how Reynolds worked his way open.I also recall after missing most of the preseason (which might have been a big one reason for the Watkins trade)
He had a big couple of games.

The Rams also were able to keep Mike Thomas because of The Big 5 staying healthy.
I think have to keep looking for was to get better through the draft.This trade for Peters is like a God send for the franchise. You couldn’t have picked a better time or position. I also think this is the type of player you want right now because of his passion. This trade also is a growth & Maturity lesson for Peters.
If by chance ? The Rams could bring Tru Johnson back would be huge.You give Peters #29 Shaun Springs number when he went to NE, showing him crossing his heart for the National anthem. Then you have the best DB situation in football.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yea Gurley caused pain to.

But I was thinking in the context of how and why Kupp was able to have such a
Great rookie season.

He was excellent, and the Goff and Oline factor combined to really make
His rookie season special.

Ya know?

Yeah - I know but had to add the NFL mvp on offense. I could have said Aaron Donald for giving him the extra possessions.

Woods also was a big factor , but then when he went down Kupp really stepped up. Watkins was a guy teams tried to shut down first . He opened the field up well for the offense.
It’s a team game , but Copper Kupp is a special player. He is a film rat , & looks for an edge.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
A group of players who play mostly in the slot where it's easier to beat press coverage. No surprise there.

And perhaps, unlike the others, Kupp has the added benefit of playing mostly against team's #3 CBs or safeties with Watkins and Woods out there.

Great find for the Rams, though.

He's very strong, so he can get off of jams better than your average WR, especially if he is playing the #2 or #3 DB. Valid point, but that's precisely what you would want him to do.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I know I keep repeating this;
but I cannot recall a player coming out that had to pro bowlers exclaiming how good he would be.

It's almost like pro bowlers know what they're talking about.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
The guy is just an excellent football player, understands the game, understands his role and his on the field quickness is evident .
And the competitive fire in his belly is evident on every play.

Let's not forget that his downfield blocking has been pretty good too.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I meant rather than name those people, let's just stick with saying "people". For the good of the board, to avoid the usual back and forth.

Although i do have a bit of a back ache, to be honest. And I'm fatigued. But definitely not menstruating. Mostly.
Nice play.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
And the competitive fire in his belly is evident on every play.

Let's not forget that his downfield blocking has been pretty good too.
He's been all out excellent for us, baring a drop or two - he almost has that VET feel to him, coupled with the rookie 'fire in the belly' as you pointed out @Soul Surfer

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
2017 was just his Rookie year, he was just learning how to play in the Pro's! He's going to be waaaay better in year 2 and beyond!!(y);):D:yess:

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
hope you are right jrry about replacing Watkins, i mean hoping with all my heart
train

Replacing SW role wont be so hard, but his physicality wont be replaced by anyone currently on the roster. I would like to what Sammy and Goff can do with a full off season of working together, could make the O unstoppable. Watkins taking the top off, while Kupp and Woods underneath, Everett and Higbee exposing the seams and the threat of Gurley all at the same time on any given play.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'd like to keep him, but I don't think the Rams are going to make him the best offer. It all depends on how badly he wants to be here.

Everything for the remainder of the offseason seems really predicated on whether we sign Joyner. If we do, the dominos start to fall on having the roster back from last year with a franchise tag for Sammy.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
B4 I go to page 2

In 6 months people with forget this and go on a rant about how crappy he is. sigh.

I just read an article a week ago that called him a boom or bust pick. Nfl journalism is the worst.

"People". Good call. Let's just leave it at "people"

But that SPARQ score though... :p

Great 3rd round pick....decent player.....and....AND....PFF is full of shit most times....and is here.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201801060ram.htm
Last game of season....against CB's that press all game....good corners too...and that's what he does....vs....PRESS Coverage....
Sure he's a rookie....first playoff game....whatever

13 targets...8 catches....69 yards....what's that???? 8 ypc? That's pitiful production...in the biggest game of the year...I'll always remember those 2 yarders in the 4th quarter too.

So....lots of room to grow..to improve....

And....you can call me people...a person.... a mfer.....whatever...just call it as we see it...dude isn't a #1 or #2....he's a decent player....coming off a good rookie season.

nighttrain

Legend
B4 I go to page 2

Great 3rd round pick....decent player.....and....AND....PFF is full of crap most times....and is here.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201801060ram.htm
Last game of season....against CB's that press all game....good corners too...and that's what he does....vs....PRESS Coverage....
Sure he's a rookie....first playoff game....whatever

13 targets...8 catches....69 yards....what's that???? 8 ypc? That's pitiful production...in the biggest game of the year...I'll always remember those 2 yarders in the 4th quarter too.

So....lots of room to grow..to improve....

And....you can call me people...a person.... a mfer.....whatever...just call it as we see it...dude isn't a #1 or #2....he's a decent player....coming off a good rookie season.
i feel ya man, but one thing, coach likes him a lot and that's the top call
train