Cooper Kupp atop depth chart for Los Angeles Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Really? Then why did dcs game plan on stopping him every game?

If they game plan on stopping him every game... they're doing a damn good job. :D

FWIW, defensive coordinators game plan on stopping every player in every game.

I do think that based on Tavon's production at West Virginia that they were certainly concentrating on stopping him and they did so successfully.

After his one breakout game against Indianapolis I am sure they concentrated on stopping him again and they did so successfully.

Using the Maserati analogy;

Tavon was a Maserati being driven by a 95 year old man.

Let's see how a 31-year old man uses him.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I think he goes for more catches because Tavon is more of a "weapon" than a legit outside WR with a full compliment of moves and who can run the full route tree. That puts Woods and Kupp as 1 and 1a in this offense and so I expect that as Goff (or Mannion, but most likely Goff) is going through is progressions taht Kupp is just going to be open that much.

I mean, I put my butt on the line... If he comes up short, I gotta take a pic of me in a Brady jersey... /shudder

THAT'S how confident I am.

I hope he gets way more catches, but I kind of also hope he stops at 74 being as I said I'd get his number tattooed on my ass if he gets 75

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Agree. Kupp was suppose to be way ahead of the curve for a rookie WR. So far the reports are confirming that his route running, knowledge and hands are as advertised.

Interesting take on Woods. Yes, he has to come out as a leader. He has to have a good year but, I doubt they let him go if he doesn't have a great year. He has to be solid all around with routes, hands, blocking and leadership. After next year he has no cap hit for being cut. I think that will be a more pressure year with being two years in the system with Goff. At his age I think he improves year to year for a few years.
I think he gets 2 years, and his contract is structured as a 2 year deal. While his play will be the determining factor a couple other things could come into play. The development of the younger Wr's or the drafting of a top Wr, even signing a top FA. 8m is a lot to pay if he's pushed down to 4th or 5th on the depth chart by better players. It's no secret the Rams want as much cap room as possible next year to buy who they want and the 5m they would save might out weigh his value.

Ram65

Legend
I think he gets 2 years, and his contract is structured as a 2 year deal. While his play will be the determining factor a couple other things could come into play. The development of the younger Wr's or the drafting of a top Wr, even signing a top FA. 8m is a lot to pay if he's pushed down to 4th or 5th on the depth chart by better players. It's no secret the Rams want as much cap room as possible next year to buy who they want and the 5m they would save might out weigh his value.

I doubt that he gets pushed down to 4th or 5th WR on the depth chart. McVay mentions Woods a lot. I think his contract is could a real nice value. He is just coming into his prime at age 25 with four years experience. Kupp will be in the slot while Austin, Thomas, Reynolds are X WR out wide and Woods will be the Z side. I wouldn't count Woods short here because he a very good route runner with very good hands. He is known as a great run game blocker. His contract is a good value deal for the Rams that will let Goff have a solid WR to work with for many years.

lockdnram21

Legend
Tavon has to step it up now as he is the surefire downfield threat. Oh, Kupp and Woods are both capable of sneaking deep, but Tavon can use his sheer speed and elite quickness to outright dust most defenders. Our TEs best to ready to bring it to balance out the receiving crew. With the early focus sure to be on the Express!, there will be plenty of opportunities for Jared & his fly guys to shine.
Dont think u will see Kupp going deep to much

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Kupp-Enters-Camp-Ready-to-Make-an-Impact/e4c1465f-bb1d-429f-9a12-fd7fb3573fe6

Kupp Enters Camp Ready to Make an Impact

You've probably seen the headlines. Good Morning Football's Peter Schrager said Kupp will be the most productive first-year wideout in football. The Rams' recent projections included him as the club’s third starting wide receiver.

So how does the 24-year-old Kupp process all this as he begins his first training camp?

"There has been some media about stuff like that, but at the end of the day I’m here for the team. I’m here to be the best that I can be,” Kupp said on Wednesday. “All that stuff, speculations — I still haven’t done anything yet. I just want to come in here and get better every single day and be a part of winning games as a Ram.”

Kupp and the Rams rookies arrived over the course of the afternoon, checking into their rooms at UC Irvine that will be serve as their home for the next few weeks. Kupp, who will be sharing his dorm suite with fullback Sam Rogers, said he’s looking forward to the next few weeks.

It's been an unlikely journey for the Eastern Washington product, who finished his high school career without a college scholarship offer. He said at one point coaches from Yale were recruiting him decently hard. But then he received a call to let him know the Ivy League school was going in another direction.

“Yeah, it was tough. There is no feeling like that,” Kupp said. “I believed I could play at the next level but there’s that voice in the back of your head saying ‘Well, right now no one else thinks that you can.’

“But that didn’t change my idea,” Kupp continues. “My thoughts were ‘I can do this, I know I can play at the next level.’ And I was lucky enough to be able to connect to some really good coaches and really great players in college.”

And as is well known by now, Kupp set numerous FCS records at Eastern Washington en route to being selected in the third round this year.

Kupp said he's not spent much time reflecting on that journey, as he’s still at the beginning of his professional career and looking toward the future.

“I’m going to let that be what it is. I’m all about the mentality that whatever you’ve done before you know forget about it, flush it, move forward whether it’s good or bad,” Kupp said. “You’ve got to go out and learn things every single day and the things that have happened before you can’t allow those things to define, define you and change you as a person. So, I’m going to stay the same me whether it’s good or bad, continue being the person who strives to be the best in everything that he does.”

To that end, Kupp said he spent time during the summer break working out with starting quarterback Jared Goff.

“He lives about 15 minutes from me, so I got a chance to work out with him a little bit, throw [with] all the guys,” Kupp said. “We had a good group of guys that were able to come out and throw and go through some stuff together and just continue to get that work and build that chemistry.”

It's also about skill refinement, which is a point of pride for the young receiver. He received a number of compliments from coaches and players during the offseason program for how polished he was for a rookie.

That’s all by design, as the wideout is a noted student of the game. He said he studied different types of offenses during the pre-draft process. And he listed Larry Fitzgerald, Antonio aBrown, and A.J. Green as players he’s watched to try and model his game after.

“I would like people to say that when they describe the kind of player that I am, is someone that prepares like a pro,” Kupp said. “I’m not sure where where this came from, where the end result came from. But if people are describing me as a player, that is where I want to land — is someone that is putting everything they can do into this game and controlling what I can control, which is my attitude and my effort. That is always going to be on par with who I am as a player and it is going to be very important for me to carry that through day-by-day and all the way through my career.”

That attitude comes through in the way Kupp describes what propels him. Even though his path to the NFL was not traditional, Kupp says those who doubted his potential didn’t fuel him.

“I was motivated because of the person that I am, because of who God created me to be, and the doubts were there just because that’s how things go sometimes, you know? But the doubt in my mind — which is the most important thing — was never there,” Kupp said. “I believed I could play this game, you know let other people think what they can, I just control what I can control.”

And that is the approach Kupp has brought into his first training camp. He doesn’t appear to be putting much pressure on himself, instead opting to do what he can to make the biggest impact.

“Like I’ve said, my expectation is to come in here and help win games,” Kupp said. “That’s the most important part — most important statistic is just to be a part of winning game in whatever that role is going to be. I’m going to embrace it. i’m going to attack it. And outside of that, I am going to let everyone else do speculations, all of the different hypotheticals — I’m just going to control what I can control and strive to be a part of something special here.”

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Great Attitude. Even if he is a Ricky Proel or Danny Amendola catching 1st downs on 3rd downs, I'd be happy. Way too many 3rd down dropped passed in the past. If he does more than that, great.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I hope he gets way more catches, but I kind of also hope he stops at 74 being as I said I'd get his number tattooed on my ass if he gets 75

Even more reasons to hope Kupp sets records! And we'll want pics! Hahaha