Cookie Comeback

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
One good play does not equal a reprieve from a horrible season overall. That block on the long Austin touchdown could've easily been called an illegal block in the back (which I'm shocked that Booger's crew didn't throw a flag for, given how flag-happy they were). He is what he is, and hopefully this enhances his trade value, but he is what he is at this point, and we can do better.
Unlikely to get anything of value in a trade. One potential partner is off the list.

Here we go: 49ers trading TE Vernon Davis to Denver for 6th- and 7th-round picks this year, and a 6th-round pick in 2017, sources tell ESPN.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Unlikely to get anything of value in a trade. One potential partner is off the list.

Here we go: 49ers trading TE Vernon Davis to Denver for 6th- and 7th-round picks this year, and a 6th-round pick in 2017, sources tell ESPN.

I'd take a conditional pick at this point. Or hell, even Josh Gordon from the Browns.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'd take a conditional pick at this point. Or hell, even Josh Gordon from the Browns.
Oh come on he has not been that bad. He has had problems but nothing that better play by the offense over all would not help. There isn't a TE on the roster or available in the league who can provide what he can.

Let's not forget Kendricks cost us a game with a dropped ball too.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Because he hasn't earned it? Even Jason Smith had good games under his belt. It doesn't change when a product has been consistently bad for multiple years. Like others have said one good catch doesn't suddenly eradicate all the harm he's done with his drops, fumbles and poor play. Especially since Britt's been good for that all season, and he didn't even sure up his boneheadedness entirely that game. At the near end of Tavon's TD catch, he blocks a guy in the back for seemingly no reason other than to get a block in the back penalty and eradicate the TD. Not going to change my mind with mental errors like that, no matter how many one good catches he makes.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I still would like to move him before the deadline. If we don't, I'll give him a chance, but one good game doesn't excuse all of the bad ones.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Because he hasn't earned it? Even Jason Smith had good games under his belt. It doesn't change when a product has been consistently bad for multiple years. Like others have said one good catch doesn't suddenly eradicate all the harm he's done with his drops, fumbles and poor play. Especially since Britt's been good for that all season, and he didn't even sure up his boneheadedness entirely that game. At the near end of Tavon's TD catch, he blocks a guy in the back for seemingly no reason other than to get a block in the back penalty and eradicate the TD. Not going to change my mind with mental errors like that, no matter how many one good catches he makes.
Revisionist history. Cook has not been great but has hasn't been bad in his first two years with bottom of the barrel scrubs playing QB. He certainly has not even been good this year, but he has had some good catches to go along with those bad plays and there isn't anyone out there who is going to be better this year.

I will go back and look at the block again but from what I first saw it was not close to a block in the back, he had the inside angle, the defender may have out run him to the point of contact so that it was from the side but it was not close to in the back.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I still would like to move him before the deadline. If we don't, I'll give him a chance, but one good game doesn't excuse all of the bad ones.
I just don't see it happening, this isn't MLB.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Revisionist history. Cook has not been great but has hasn't been bad in his first two years with bottom of the barrel scrubs playing QB. He certainly has not even been good this year, but he has had some good catches to go along with those bad plays and there isn't anyone out there who is going to be better this year.

I will go back and look at the block again but from what I first saw it was not close to a block in the back, he had the inside angle, the defender may have out run him to the point of contact so that it was from the side but it was not close to in the back.
That's not revisionist history, the guy hasn't been good by any stretch of the imagination. From a guy who's being paid and billed as a Gronkowski I expect better than barely over 600 yards and under double digits TDs. Arguing the semantics between mediocrity and bad is pointless, the fact of the matter is his play has nowhere near validated how many mistakes he's made. If this was his top level and all he could be, I wouldn't be nearly as hard on him, but nobody can deny that he's where he is because he's CONSTANTLY leaving plays on the field. From his TD drop in his very first game, to dropping one of the few TD passes Davis could manage to throw inbetween throwing picks and pushing him around on the sidelines for it, to his fumble in the Green Bay game to just the 14 drops since he got here in general he's constantly left points on the field, killed drives and just generally took what little our inept offenses would get. I'm not going to reward him and say 'hey he's alright, he's the tallest midget among our meh receiving stats."

If he's the best of a bad situation so be it, but don't expect anybody to applaud him for it, don't expect him to get a pat on the back for finally doing what he was supposed to once and don't expect him to get applauded for his mediocrity because he happened to be the king of it.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
So your group saved the fumble?

On TV, they showed the replay in slow motion, and it seemed he instinctively tucked the ball in right before the tackler grabbed his arm trying to force the fumble.

It was a good game for him. If he, Quick and Britt and Austin can continue to just focus on catching the ball and protecting it, I think we could have a respectable passing attack after all.

No, that's not what I was saying - but we've seen it so many times so we were all yelling for him to hold on to the ball.... but yea he had it wrapped up pretty good. But no, he didn't wrap it up because we were yelling for him to.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'll give him credit for that game, he made a couple really nice plays yesterday. Figure the way I bust his balls I owe him that.

Hope he keeps it up. I did laugh out loud after he caught that ball and hugged it. But the key with him is the dude is no young kid, he's a veteran player. So at this point he is what he is, and here's hoping someone steps up so Cook won't have that pressure of being an early read and needing to make the play on so many snaps. He's just not that guy IMO. Complimentary weapon, not a primary weapon in my estimation.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
No, that's not what I was saying - but we've seen it so many times so we were all yelling for him to hold on to the ball.... but yea he had it wrapped up pretty good. But no, he didn't wrap it up because we were yelling for him to.
I was just kidding man. I don't care what works. Fans, subliminal messages, voodoo, Jobu whatever it takes. If our receivers keep improving on those two things, catch the ball and protect the ball, our passing offense will look a lot better in my opinion.